|OT| Programming - Swiftly put that C in your java!

Monooboe

Vagabond Perv Photographer
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
www.fancierlust.com
So thought we should have a programming thread!

I'm a total noob and pretty much just took a basic C course but I want to learn and I thought a good way would be to do small apps for myself that do simple things:

For example I need to do an app that takes a photo and just adds white border to it and then spits out a new jpeg. I assume something simple like that can be done pretty much with all languages but which one would be the easiest and smoothest one to do simple apps like that?

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
For example I need to do an app that takes a photo and just adds white border to it and then spits out a new jpeg. I assume something simple like that can be done pretty much with all languages but which one would be the easiest and smoothest one to do simple apps like that?
how about C#?

OP
Monooboe

Monooboe

Vagabond Perv Photographer
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
www.fancierlust.com
how about C#?
Ah yes it was going to be the next course I would do at pluralsight but the free month ran out! I'm sure there are alot more free ones out there, will check it out!

Its easier than C++? While I understood the basic flow of it, I have no idea how to even begin to make something of my own.

Reactions: lashman

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Yay programming!

Monooboe I guess to do stuff with images, and without the overhead of having to compile and stuff, PHP is also a good choice.
At least, I know PHP, I use PHP all the time, PHP was the first language that came to mind. šŸ˜„

Anyway, I've been mostly a JS programmer for a long time now, and I utterly love it!
Modern JS + React + Redux is just amazing to use.
I've had a few MINDBLOWN moments in my career (which is starting to be rather long!), but none of them brought me as much joy as learning to use Redux (which has a rather awkward learning curve), and React hooks!
Using React hooks = OMG I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT AND IT'S SO FUCKING EASY! Love it.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
In college I used Matlab to process videos and do (really shitty) face detection. So that's even an option.

But yeah the language you choose is almost secondary to what you want to do. You can probably do anything in any language if you are willing to work hard enough.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
What editor do you guys use? For webstuff I used to use Brackets but for coding it seems Visual Studio Code is pretty great.
Visual Studio Code.
Most of the time it works as I expect, and doesn't get in the way too much.

Previously, Atom, then Sublime, then who knows, Coda maybe? But we're talking so many years ago!
Started with Dreamweaver when it was still a Macromedia product! šŸ˜…

Most of my colleagues use VS Code as well, to the point that we are starting to write documentation for environment setup specifically for it, which is peculiar since we have absolute freedom of using whatever tools we like.
Some use PhpStorm, and find it excellent. I could even try it on the company's dime, but its UI looks so damn cluttered!

Oh, also Vim, but my experience is always: search for specific command on Google -> use command -> wait 5 minutes -> forget command.

Reactions: Monooboe

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Its easier than C++? While I understood the basic flow of it, I have no idea how to even begin to make something of my own.
Oh yes. Way easier. The most significant difference is how you handle memory. With C# you have garbage collection, which is a form of automated memory management.

Unless you're specifically interested in the more low-level side of things, I suggest you focus on more high-level languages so that you can quickly start building cool things.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
How hard is it to get a job even at the entry level?
Imho it really depends on your local market.
It's generally not super hard, though, considering that "web dev" nowadays means an extremely wide range of stuff.

This said, I think that these days with the virus outbreak less companies are hiring, but it's definitely not limited to the tech industry.

On the other hand, many are now dipping their feet in the remote/distributed work.
With any luck, lots of companies will end up appreciating it, and so when things will go back to normal, there'll be tons of new remote opportunities, which means that even if your local market sucks, you'll still have plenty of chances anywhere else in the world, without the hassle of moving away from friends and family.

---

I want to ask the programmers in this thread if The Odin Project is worth pursuing if I want a career in webdev?
I'm not familiar with that specific course, but the current web dev world has a surprisingly steep learning curve, as opposed to when I started, some 15 years ago.
Whereas back then HTML+CSS+PHP were enough and JS was just some shitty language that made sites incompatible across different browsers, nowadays web devs, even just front end devs, are supposed to know A LOT of very complicated stuff.

You need to know your way around the terminal, Node, build systems, preprocessors, transpilers. Then you'll need to know about JS, some frameworks (React, but not necessarily), some way to handle data (Redux, but not necessarily), how to interact with APIs, etc.

I'm lucky enough to have lived through all these changes, so I had years to figure them all out to a professional level.
New devs aren't as lucky, but at least starting now means that most of the confusion has settled, and so y'all (hopefully!) won't end up changing tools every couple of months because a newer shiny thing appeared out of the blue.

What I'm trying to say is: take advantage of courses! Especially if they are free!
I'm sure you'll realize it quickly enough if it's shit, and worst case scenario you'll have lost a few hours.

Also, if you are a sociable person, check out some local meetups, because usually these communities are excellent, very open and welcoming to new people, full of great advices, etc.
In my case, I know for a fact that the WordPress community is amazeball, and my local meetup makes no exception. I know lots of people that started attending as newbies, and ended up being hired by some of the best local companies.
(In other words: networking is really helpful in this industry!)
I realize that with the covid most meetups are suspended until further notice, but a few of them moved to online-only, and kept going on nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Sakhr

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I work on low level stuff, and my work has relatively limited options in Linux due to contract reasons. So I use Eclipse. It's a memory hog, but it supports basically everything I want from build to version control to execute.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Finally started a C# tutorial and I love the feeling in the beginning always when starting learning: "fuck yes this is so easy and makes perfect sense!".
it won't go away :p C# really is that simple