Community Puzzle Games Discussion Thread of 4+4=10, 4+6=12, 17+13=?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Let's keep the Anime to the anime thread, and let's discuss all the great, amazing, mind-bending puzzle games out there.

I'm currently playing through Konami's Pixel Puzzle Collection and cursing under my breath the boss puzzle timers.
I've also recently found out the hotness that is Hungry Cat Picross, really wish both of them were available on a proper gaming platform instead of crappy smartphones.

I've also recently played through the recent free DLC for which is pretty much the best way to spend money on Steam if you're in need of a Picross game. The dev is just insane, the amount of content there would fit 3-4 games, and yet he just keeps adding more and more as free updates.

I'll try to post some puzzle game recommendations down the line, Feel free to post your impressions, ask for recommendations or puzzle help (just please use spoiler tags responsibly).
Also, it's okay to make fun of people playing Minesweeper here

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Knurek You can change time on your phone to skip the timer on the bosses.

Great thread btw :D
Also it's good the cat picross game? Like legit good? Saw it but didn't give it a chance.
That was the first Picross game I've ever played. Suggested it to my wife and she got immediately addicted to it. Next thing you know she 100% the whole thing which is extremely rare for her. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Knurek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The cat picross seems to at least be little different than the usual stuff, with colours and such.
It's a color Picross, but has rules more similar to Picross 3D than the regular variant.
Still great, controls surprisingly nicely for mobile touch. Lots of puzzles too, and if you can stomach adds after few puzzles, can be played without paying (all the IAP except the premium add removal are for cosmetics).
I play the Konami Picross through Bluestacks (couldn't handle 15x15 on my mobile), changing system clock doesn't seem to help there.
EDIT: Oh wait, it works, I just have to restart the emulator each time. :\

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Pertti

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Also currently playing Konami's Pixel Puzzle Collection on the smartphone. It has a terrible touch detection. Also playing on Galaxy S9 where the screen is not entirely flat sucks

Reactions: NarohDethan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's a color Picross, but has rules more similar to Picross 3D than the regular variant.
Still great, controls surprisingly nicely for mobile touch. Lots of puzzles too, and if you can stomach adds after few puzzles, can be played without paying (all the IAP except the premium add removal are for cosmetics).
I play the Konami Picross through Bluestacks (couldn't handle 15x15 on my mobile), changing system clock doesn't seem to help there.
EDIT: Oh wait, it works, I just have to restart the emulator each time. :\
Yeah the unskippable ads are little too much for me, the volume is so much higher on them and scares me every time haha.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Yes, I love puzzles!

Talking about making fun of people playing Minesweeper, a few days ago I finally finished that damn Colossal triangle puzzle in Globesweeper. It was brutal, it almost took half my total playtime of the game, so like 30 hours :weary-face:

OP
Knurek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Legit considering getting a Switch just for the Picross S series...
I have a 3DS and spent roughly 80% of my time with the system playing Picross e series...

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Picross S is pretty good, but I dunno if it's $300 good. I enjoyed S1 and S2 plenty, but (outside of the UI of course) they might as well have been ports of one of the E series games and I wouldn't have noticed,

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Legit considering getting a Switch just for the Picross S series...
I have a 3DS and spent roughly 80% of my time with the system playing Picross e series...
Picross S1, 2 and Kemono Friends' are my most played games on my Switch, and I just got S3 :D

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
To break up this Picross-fest I'd like to share one of my favorite puzzle "games":

Cypher is from the fellow behind Hexcells (also a great puzzle game series that's in the Minesweeper style of puzzles with Picross elements) and I hazard to completely call it a game because most of it could be achieved just as easily by writing down all the puzzles on sheets of paper and solving them from there. By the end you can learn to decypher codes in the same manner as the original Enigma machine (if you're really dedicated).

There are definitely some that are simply tricky and more like riddles while others are largely just mechanical and take a lot of processing to figure out. It's a fantastic time.

Reactions: Milena and Knurek
OP
Knurek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Oh god, I can configure Bluestacks to have keyboard switches for puzzle functions...
Literal LIFECHANGER!

Reactions: Milena

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I've been playing on and off Globessweeper and only playing the gigantic puzzles. It's kind of funny, I get so damn angry every time I fail that I uninstall the game every time... then later when I calm down I install it again and repeat.XD Why doesn't one have a healthy relationship with puzzle games?XD

Reactions: Milena

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
I guess this is the proper thread for it.

New game by Corey Martin (Pipe Push Paradise, Hiding Spot), releases on May 5th (Steam and Itch).

Pipe Push Paradise was really good, sort-of SSR-lite (even though I still haven't played SSR) so really looking forward to it.

And here's the store page:

Last edited: