News Quake II RTX (by Nvidia) will be released on June 6th, 2019

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

News:

Quake II RTX will be released on June 6th, 2019. If you have a GeForce RTX graphics card, or other capable hardware, you can experience the first 3 levels of the game for free, fully remastered with path-traced graphics and a variety of other enhancements. And if you own a copy of Quake II, you can play the campaign in its entirety, and play against others in online multiplayer.

How to get Quake II RTX:

On June 6th, at 6am PT, Nvidia will release Quake II RTX as a direct download on their website. This will include the first 3 levels of the game, released freely in 1997 as shareware, plus all of their new technological enhancements, updated textures, and enhanced models.
If you have the original Quake II release, download and install Quake II RTX from their website, run the installer, and point it to the full copy of Quake II when prompted so it can copy over the full gameā€™s levels and assets.

Features:
  • Improved Global Illumination rendering, with three selectable quality presets, including two-bounce GI
  • Multiplayer support
  • Time of day options that radically change the appearance of some levels
  • New weapon models & textures
  • New dynamic environments (Stroggos surface, and space)
  • Better physically based atmospheric scattering, including settings for Stroggos sky
  • Real-time reflectivity of the player and weapon model on water and glass surfaces, and player model shadows, for owners of the complete game (the original Shareware release does not include player models)
  • Improved ray tracing denoising technology
  • All 3,000+ original game textures have been updated with a mix of Q2XP mod-pack textures and our own enhancements
  • Updated effects with new sprites and particle animations
  • Dynamic lighting for items such as blinking lights, signs, switches, elevators and moving objects
  • Caustics approximation to improve water lighting effects
  • High-quality screenshot mode that makes your screenshots look even better
  • Support for the old OpenGL renderer, enabling you to switch between RTX ON and RTX OFF
  • Cylindrical projection mode for wide-angle field of view on widescreen displays

Source: Quake II RTX Available On Windows and Linux June 6th

Future download link (probably): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/campaigns/quake-II-rtx/

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
that certainly looks impressive. will definitely have to give it a look once i get a card capable.

OP
ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
gabbo I think all GTX 10xx, 16xx and 20xx series cards should be able to run this.

i'm not able to find Quake II in any store though. I have the first one on GOG, but the second... it seems to be gone everywhere.
edit: Had to buy it via VPN on GOG.com. Apparently it's not available in my region of the world.

Last edited:

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Finally game worthy of my RTX 2070!
Does Quake 2 have co-op nowadays?

OP
ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It's on steam.

Glad that it finally released. Would have preferred Q1 but Q2 will do.
Not for me. neither on Steam or on GOG.
Had to use VPN to buy it (on GOG). Germany is always so strange when it comes to game releases. I wonder if it's still on the "index" of "dangerous games" because there is pixel blood in it.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
gabbo I think all GTX 10xx, 16xx and 20xx series cards should be able to run this.

i'm not able to find Quake II in any store though. I have the first one on GOG, but the second... it seems to be gone everywhere.
edit: Had to buy it via VPN on GOG.com. Apparently it's not available in my region of the world.
I don't have any of those cards. my 970 just wont power the shiny sunrays

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I dunno, while the tech is certainly impressive, I dont really like the look of it.

Looks too bright

Reactions: KainXVIII

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Cylindrical projection mode for wide-angle field of view on widescreen displays
That's interesting, I wonder how configurable it is.
Could have 100% correct projection on curved screens for the first time!

Reactions: lashman

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
When was summer sale coming again? Wonder if Quake 2 will be discounted..

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
I dunno, while the tech is certainly impressive, I dont really like the look of it.

Looks too bright
Yes, they completely fucked up original lighting and atmosphere (crimson skies!), what the deal?!