|OT| Retro FPS Appreciation Station (OT?)

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018

Yo Quake 1.5 is some dope shit maynard. Like Quake with FEAR 1 combined. This inspired me to make this thread that's about paying tribute to the best FPS of 90's and aughts and more and it's tribute games like RICO

ALSO HOLY SHIT THIS GAME Retro FPS GotY so hard but so gud

Also this one looks like a gotdamn cult classic

and also are the any mod communities for like old Turoks and NOLF? anything that would be like Quake 1.5 for any of them? I'd appreciate if Turok 1 didn't look polygonal wank

Games and mods development for Windows, Linux and Mac

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i imagine there are some mods for Nightdive's Turok remaster, but i haven't really looked into it

(good thread, by the way :D you might want to add a cover as well)

Reactions: MegaApple

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I've been reading up on Amigas lately, so Gloom has come up more than a few times:
if you just listen to it instead of watching the video - it sounds more like Carmageddon than a first person shooter :p

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Other than actual old games and/or their best mods/level packs, DUSK is the very best of the newer stuff and the only one to match the oldies, imo.

RICO is promising but I don't think it's old school style in any way. It's a distilled 100% modern shooter with a fun theme and novel mission generation.

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Good thread.

You can't talk about Retro shooters without mentioning Turok 1 and Turok 2.

Turok 1 is great in the sense that it has a Doom like flow of shoot-and-traverse.
Turok 2 is more inspired by late 90s/early 2000s shooters where more emphasis on giving huge variety of guns and fun targets to experiment on.

Nightdive Remastered both these games and the most amazing thing about it is that they merged best parts of the level design of N64 and the older PC port into one.
Nightdive gave been doing some godly work and I can't bloody wait for the Blood Remaster.

Turok Bundle on Steam