News Risk of Rain 2 exceeds 1 million copies sold, day 1 sales at around 150,000

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nice, they didn't even need zombies, BR, a pop culture IP license or a huge publisher's marketing prowess! This means they're down to the 25% fee tier on Steam (well, they've got like double the revenue needed for that going by their pricing, not to mention all the keys sold outside Steam, yet still utilizing all of Steam's features, with a 0% fee). I love what Steam has done for indies this past decade or so, all indies who can try to properly make use of its advantages with a symbolic $100 enabling access to the same services, infrastructure, delivery, and the potential reach to actual gamers as any AAA game, rather than need to subjectively/luckily appeal to a rich individual, publisher or store owner to be, out of countless others, among the chosen very few selected as payout/store candidates. Heck, it was barely (p)reviewed/mentioned by the media (especially before the signs of its great success made evident by its user reviews and the transparent Steam statistics), it may as well not exist for dinosaurs looking to monetize their lack of passion for (PC) gaming.
Sorry, not sorry, posting this as story comment on the sites I still visit :p

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well, the shell of RPS did sort of review it after it became apparent it's a popular game and tried so so hard to underplay its value (but then still tried to monetize its appeal with a ton of guide articles about different aspects of it and posting other news of it). It just didn't have a score and stuff, they don't do that any more.

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
With Randy drinking the EGS cool aid I'm surprised Risk 2 actually launched on steam, I was ready to leave a negative review of 1 to protest a epic money hat.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well, the shell of RPS did sort of review it after it became apparent it's a popular game and tried so so hard to underplay its value (but then still tried to monetize its appeal with a ton of guide articles about different aspects of it and posting other news of it). It just didn't have a score and stuff, they don't do that any more.
RPS never has done scores, so i dont see how thats a change.
Congrats to the devs for knocking it out of the park. I imagine it's going to have some healthy legs at this rate

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
True but their reviews did use to get listed on metacritic anyway so I guess they don't count that one as a review or whatever.

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
I bought it day 1! I will say I think I preferred risk of rain 1 but it is still a great game.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I bought in to that BOGO w/ Xclash. Two copies that would have probably never been picked up otherwise (or for a long while). Great offer.

I've only played it solo, but it's easily been worth the price of entry. I love that the game finally uses Steamworks for multiplayer, and even the friends list api to show what friends are up to in the game.

And for anyone wondering, it plays nicely with the Steam Controller. I use a fairly basic controller + mouse/gyro config.