Opinion Share Your Favourite Game Song/Soundtrack

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Baldr Sky has a very diverse electronic music soundtrack. It sounded like a late 90s acid house, tech house, and trance combined with a more recent late 2000's tribal house/NY sound. I've heard that the soundtrack is amazing, but hearing it for myself is really surprising.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
You can't have a soundtrack thread without the main theme of Sakura Wars.

Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan. My favorite version is Sakura Wars 2's opening movie.

And then we have the new iteration from Shin Sakura Wars.

So many fans (me included) fucking cried when we heard the new version during the reveal.

Edit: Also, giving a shoutout to Sakura Kakumei, the mobile spinoff of Sakura Wars. The soundtracks are composed by the composer of the original series, Tanaka Kouhei and his protégé, Higashiohji Kenta. Here's its main theme SAKURA HIKARU Revolution:

And a Jazz arrangement revealed as the main girl's birthday event. In the game, as her spiritual power was sealed by her mother, she literally can't sing (because according to SW lore, singing is linked to one's spirit) so she sings through her mind. The protagonist (ie. players) has the ability of seeing the future, which somehow allows them to hear her song. I honestly cried when reading the event. It is very wholesome.

Last edited:

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Been playing through the Raidou games. Currently halfway through Raidou 2 and man, I'd forgotten how good the OST is. The stuff Shoji composed for the first Raidou game was him trying to figure what would fit the game the best (imo), but he completely nailed it in the sequel.

And now for the best Chocobo theme - no bias here :p

Fun fact: Nobou used to have has own hard rock/prog metal band!

He is now part of:

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
This is not a game soundtrack but heavily adjacent to one.
The original composers of the Deus Ex soundtrack (Alex Brandon & Michiel van den Bos) came together for a remix of the original Deus Ex soundtrack.

While I think that this remix does not have the same 'feeling' of the original soundtrack I do enjoy it nonetheless.

A Youtube playlist of the album:

It is also on sale at Bandcamp:

• Gib
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and lashman

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This is a tribute album to the Trails in the Sky series, released yesterday. Check out the description for lossless quality download.

Tracklist:
0:00:00 Shine of Aidios [Avey Basco ft. Sheldon Kreger, Davide Sgualdini]
0:03:44 Looking Up at the Sky [Sheldon Kreger, ft. Manuel Tirado, Davide Sgualdini]
0:07:59 Factory City of Zeiss [R-Man ft. ZeldaRocks, Sean R. Hanson]
0:12:10 Under the Moonlight [Justin Thornburgh]
0:15:45 Visions [MB ft. Brendan, Airborne Scoria, R-Man]
0:20:37 Heartless Surprise Attack [R-Man]
0:23:27 The Enforcers [Philip Saguil ft. Sheldon Kreger, R-Man]
0:26:24 Fateful Confrontation (Evoluted) [YourVinished]*
0:29:17 Floating City "Liber Ark" [Shardei Bueno ft. Sheldon Kreger, Davide Sgualdini]
0:33:39 The Fate of the Fairies [Zohar Emulator ft. R-Man]
0:38:18 Silver Will [Sheldon Kreger ft. Maria Grig, Gisha Djordjevic**, Justin Thornburgh, Jordan McClure, Davide Sgualdini, Shardei Bueno]
0:45:12 Amber Amour aboard the Airship "Lusitania" [Philip Saguil]
0:50:48 Masquerade of Lies -Abyss- [Aoki Katsumata]*
0:54:36 The Crimson Stigma [Joshua (Ristar)]
0:56:14 When the Sun Stops Shining [Philip Saguil]
0:57:53 Overdosing Heavenly Bliss [R-Man]
1:03:16 Dreamy and Boisterous Holy Land [Justin Thornburgh ft. Peter Wagstaff, Sheldon Kreger, R-Man]
1:08:48 Decision to Leave [Philip Saguil]
1:10:12 The End, for Now [Philip Saguil]
* All tracks mastered by R-Man except for these two
** Really sorry about the typo in the video Gisha

Lots of nostalgia in these tracks. Hearing them makes me want to replay the games again.

• Comfy
Reactions: QFNS

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
My all time favorite piece of videogame music will probably always be the Another Shore piece of music from Chrono Cross.

I just find something about the song magical in a way I've never heard in any other piece of music. The Chrono series in general has some really amazing music.

Other stuff I really like

In general I really like the soundtrack from Hotel Dusk on the DS and it's sequel The Last Window. The Civ games also in general have some amazing music that I really like.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Oh we're doing these again? Lots of great tunes in here so I had to throw in some from the GOAT OST.

Scars of Time from Chrono Cross (PC Port when Square Enix????)

Radical Dreamers from Chrono Cross

Another Termina from Chrono Cross (it even has TOWN MUSIC that is great)

Ok some non-Chrono Cross entries too...

Fly Me to the Moon (Climax) from Bayonetta (Bayonetta 2 has a great remix of Moon River too if you like this.)

You can pretty much just pick any track from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but I particularly like
Lost Painting from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Dance of Pales from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

There are tons more that aren't covered here but those are some favorites of mine.
My all time favorite piece of videogame music will probably always be the Another Shore piece of music from Chrono Cross.
I love that great minds think alike! Another Shore is amazing! Love that song.
You picked another great one from SotN also. Some really top tracks here!

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's real easy to just slam Spiral of Erebos on repeat 100 times, but CS3's soundtrack is more than that. I reckon the game has the best soundtrack across 3 Cold Steel games so far.

You have the excellent dungeon themes.

Relaxing "town" themes.

And of course, peak time madness.

• Love
Reactions: QFNS

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has a bloody fantastic soundtrack. They brought in a "real" music artist Amon Tobin but he actually knocked it out of the park and fits the game super well and the album works also well on its own.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and QFNS

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
A selection from Fullmetal Daemon Muramasa. The soundtrack has a lot of moody tracks besides, mainly a mix of electronic sounds and classic instruments.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
PSO1 soundtracks were added to spotify, and more Phantasy Star soundtracks to come in the future:

The Phantasy Star soundtracks currently on spotify:
  • Phantasy Star Online - just the Episode 1 OST, the original release for the Dreamcast.
  • Phantasy Star Online Songs of RAGOL - soundtrack for the gamecube/xbox releases, includes tracks from the original.
  • Phantasy Star Online Let the Winds Blow - Episode 3 (card game) soundtrack.
  • Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst - Episode 4 soundtrack.
  • Phantasy Star Universe Ambition of the Illuminus - only the Universe expansion is available currently.
  • Phantasy Star Zero - Nintendo DS game.
  • Idola Phantasy Star Saga - mobile game.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The main theme of Triangle Strategy is great.

Also, I have been looking into some older titles to play in the future.

Dark Cloud 2 Japanese theme

Wild Arms V main theme, performed by the beloved Nana Mizuki

Wild Arms XF main theme

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
More Phantasy Star soundtracks were added to spotify, including some from games that weren't released in the west:

• For Brighter Day Phantasy Star Universe - PSU base game soundtrack
  • Save This World Phantasy Star Universe - A small collection of additional PSU music
  • Phantasy Star Portable 2 Wings Of Universe - Phantasy Star Portable 2 soundtrack
  • Phantasy Star Portable Infinity - Soundtrack for the Portable 2 expansion, PSPo2 Infinity, game not released in the west
  • Phantasy Star Nova - Another game not released in the west

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I haven't been posting stuff from my Final Fantasy journey. Finished X-2 recently and there were plenty of bangers.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Parsnip

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yeah, FFX-2 has a lot of great music. Reminds me of a time where I ended up arguing with someone on the internet about it and that dude was a real Uematsu devout and any FF music thing that wasn't by the one and only was shit.
Fun times.

Couple favorites of mine. One day I'll actually play more of the game too!

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Amiya Aranha a VTuber i watch who plays retro games asked for Retro VGM Music suggestions from the community and she has been going through them in two streams. So i thought i'd put up the playlist in here as some of you may be interested. You can spot the european influence in the list as our tracks tend to stand out from the expected tracks. Ami has filtered some out but it's a decent list i think.

129 tracks and she was NOT expecting that many lol!

Reactions: Pommes

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Heck Yeah! Paradise Killer OST is fantastic.
Here's my earlier post from a few months ago about the B-Sides compilation of extras and remixes which is also awesome.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Two games that got recently released and they both have incredible OST while being opposite.

Lunistice OST is upbeat, with a exception, and it fits perfectly in the game bright color aesthetics that aims to bring how the 32 bits games looked in our fond memories.

The other one is from Ghost Song, it sounds so melancholic and nails setting the mood for the game.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and lashman

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I listen to this banger when I'm feeling down

but honestly I have huge nostalgia for PS1 games soundtracks, especially the ones made by Squaresoft, like this for example

From more modern games I like those