Remembered some more:
Fly - Yakuza 3
All of Nier Automata’s OST
New Vegas soundtrack

Last edited:

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
I don't think you every really hear composition of this style in games as much as in movies, so it is quite fitting that one of the early successes of VR - The Invisible Hours - brings this gem.
This has a lot more poignance in the game's context (avoid any comments to the vid)

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Ninja gaiden - theme (epic shit)

Turok Dinosaur hunter - Campaigners Fortress

Guild Wars 2 - Sands of chaos (some epic fight music ) (0:50 onwards )

Guild Wars 2 - attack on Tarrir

Dynasty Warriors 4 - Losing

Serious Sam 3 - Final Fight (because Undercode are awesome and a highly underated band and plus from croatia so auto cool)

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
This thread is for me. I have 4 playlist with 500 tracks in each, and I think almost half of it is just game OSTs.

But none can reach the sheer power of this track.

Reactions: lashman

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Nice thread! So many great picks, sorry if any of these repeat but I've got a couple of favs I'd share, so hard to pick a definitive favorite. Here's some of the front runners, in no particular order.

Alright I'll stop. :)

Ok I lied. I think the single best piece from this gen is this...

Deleted member 113

A few selections:

And a couple of more recent tracks:

This one, starting at around 0:48, is simply diabolic. Retro chiptune done right. (y)

And say what you want about the game, but the main theme of Sword Coast Legends is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
One of the 5 phases of the Phantasy Star Online 2's Episode 5 final boss:

That saxophone, especially the part starting at 1;45.

EDIT: I may as well also post the whole thing, with all parts:

00:00 - Waiting area
04:56 - Intro
05:42 - Elder mask (one of the 5 parts)
08:53 - Loser mask (one of the 5 parts)
13.00 - Apprentice mask (the one I linked above, with the saxophone)
16:24 - Double mask (another of the 5)
20:03 - Persona mask (the boss true form)
26:28 - The last push

Last edited:
Reactions: Eriugam and lashman

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Nobody mentioned Furi yet so doing my part:

Whole OST is just pure eargasm, definitely recommended. The game is top-tier too (y)

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Oh my, where should I start? Guess I'll go with what's in my head right now. Mind you, I'm not including licensed songs, otherwise this would be full of GTA Vice City, Rock Band and Life Is Strange tracks. I'm also linking to the Youtube videos instead of embedding them so this post doesn't bring the page down.

I finished The House in Fata Morgana recently, and it's a masterpiece. The soundtrack is wonderful too, and several songs stuck with me:
"This mutilated body"
"Portrait of white"
"Everybody's crying"
"Her dying voice"

I'm also a fan of 999's OST. I'd suggest not listening to them if you haven't played the game, so you can feel the entire impact in the context of the story.
"Morphogenetic sorrow": it's so good that the theme song includes some elements from it, making this some sort of unofficial theme song.
"Recollection": such a melancholic song. It's bittersweet, and every time I hear it I want to replay the game.
"Septenary game": it has a sort of synthwave feel that I love.

Then there's Twinsen's Odyssey main theme. It's a remake of the first game's theme, and I like it more. They are both so beautiful, so fantastic, that I can't help but smile whenever I hear them.

Here's to my favorite 2D platformer of all time: Jazz Jackrabbit 2. I could post the entire soundtrack, but I'll just pick my favorites.
"Carrotus": for some reason I always liked this one. It's really fun to listen to.
"Beach bunny": this makes me infinitely happy.
"Tubelectric remix": it's cool and amazing.
"Jazz be damned": the intro reminds me of "Carrotus", but it's a lot heavier. This one makes me want to grab my blaster and shoot the heck out of those mean turtles!

The theme from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault always felt like movie material to me. It's an epic track, with a whole orchestra. Little did I know that the composer did indeed work in many movies, so my feelings weren't entirely inaccurate.

Obligatory: "Still alive" and "Want you gone" from Portal 1 and 2, respectively. Even though I played the first one several years after its release, I didn't have anything spoiled, so the credits song was a great surprise to me.

These two are from Super Mario Odyssey, and are among the weirdest in any Nintendo game: "Jump up, super star!" and Break free (Lead the way). The former is a jazzy tune that was featured, in an abridged way, in the trailers, while the latter was an awesome surprise. If you haven't finished the story yet, do yourself a favor and skip it, as the sequence where it appears is nothing short of incredible.

Sonic 2 has my favorite song in the series: "Metropolis Zone". It's so groovy and awesome! They knew they hit gold with this one, because Metropolis is the only zone in the game that has 3 acts.

Now on to Final Fantasy, a series which I never cared for apart from a few games. I discovered these thanks to Theatrhythm, which is a fantastic gem, and it has an even better sequel (seriously, the only bad thing about it is that it renders the former obsolete due to the sheer amount of content it has, including all of its songs). FF XI's "Selbina", FF V's "Harvest" and FF XIII's "Blinded by light" are among my favorites. Speaking of Square Enix, "Calling" from The World Ends With You is also fantastic. Of course I bought it as DLC for Theatrhythm FF: Curtain Call as soon as I saw it in the store.

The Metal Gear Solid series has some killer tracks too. The first game has "The best is yet to come" as a recurring theme, playing in key points of the story. And however much I criticize Portable Ops for being a terrible game, "Calling to the night" is one of the most beautiful songs in the franchise, at least in my opinion.

That's all I can recall at the moment. I'm sure I am missing countless other songs, so take this post as a little window into my musical preferences, rather than a comprehensive list.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
There's more to follow but i'm starting with these... and they're remixes but i don't care!

Gamechops put out some great stuff!

Starts midway through Timothy Seals - A New Dawn - Mechwarrior 2 - Arkham Bridge Remix for the nostalgia.
-All Systems Nominal-

Reactions: Eriugam and lashman

Deleted member 113

That would be amazing but they would probably end up ruining what made them great in the place
Probably. :)

But, I'm a hopeless optimistic. ;)
The gaming industry suffers a bit from ageism, and as a result many of the great designers of the 80's and 90's no longer work in the industry.
Whenever I think of sequels to classic titles, I always hope if they were to happen, the creative teams are brought back.

Fortunately, though not frequent, we have a few recent examples of new sequels or spiritual successors, done by the original designers, that are very much worth a look.

For example:

Most of the team behind the Descent series released this year the (non-official) sequel fans of the series always hoped for:

And, last year, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, the creative duo behind Maniac Mansion, and Day of the Tentacle (two of my favourite point and click adventure games, the later probably my all time favourite), released a new game that was pretty much a perfect follow-up:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Probably. :)

But, I'm a hopeless optimistic. ;)
The gaming industry suffers a bit from ageism, and as a result many of the great designers of the 80's and 90's no longer work in the industry.
Whenever I think of sequels to classic titles, I always hope if they were to happen, the creative teams are brought back.

Fortunately, though not frequent, we have a few recent examples of new sequels or spiritual successors, done by the original designers, that are very much worth a look.

For example:

Most of the team behind the Descent series released this year the (non-official) sequel fans of the series always hoped for:

And, last year, Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick, the creative duo behind Maniac Mansion, and Day of the Tentacle (two of my favourite point and click adventure games, the later probably my all time favourite), released a new game that was pretty much a perfect follow-up:

Well as far as optimism goes we do in fact have...

With their announcement for EA Reveals the Details of C&C Remastered
So I know it's a remaster but it's grabbing all the original guys so that one was kind of a curveball considering their mobile game announcement of C&C at E3

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Drakengard 1's OST is a disgusting menacing mess that causes anxiety and panic. But I love it.

Drakengard 2:

Drakengard 3:

And of course, this Silence is mine which was used heavily to promote DoD3 and also used in-game.

Legendary series with a legendary range of soundtracks. Definitely an acquired taste though, I guess.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Weirdly I don't remember the game but I always remember the music years later.

Could list any game from Mick

Replaying Castlevania, which is why the soundtrack is in my mind.

Could probably go on a 100 times, too many great soundtracks.

Reactions: Valdien and lashman

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I still remember being about 10ish years old when I first heard this song on the PS1 I shared with my older brother. I did not know the title of it then, but when I listened to it again,when I was much older, it really did feel like returning to the place I was on that day.

Also loved this song so much as a kiddo. Waiting on the old family computer as it tried to connect, It really made the wait so worth it. My favourite MMO of all time. It was awesome to play it before online guides were really thing (let alone video guides). Heck, Google was still an obscure thing. There was so much more mystery of not being able to search or look up anything.

Also major love for the PS1 version of Harvest Moon, I can still hear those songs in my head. It was one of my grandmother's favourite games (along with Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, and Tetris haha).