News Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch) - releasing on Nov 12, 2021

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

The ambitions of god and human clash amidst the horror of a dying world. Neither human nor demon, the newly-forged Nahobino and his friends must decide what is worth saving... and prepare to sacrifice everything in its name. In a world without its Creator, which path will you choose?

Story Synopsis Translated by Gematsu said:
The protagonist is a third-year high school student living in Tokyo. While attending the dorm-based Jouin Academy, he lived out each day peacefully.

One day, he and his friends try to pass through Shinagawa Station while coming home from school, but a murder had occurred nearby and the station was closed off. The protagonist visits a nearby tunnel in search of his friend, who had gone off separately. But the tunnel collapses and the protagonist loses consciousness. When he wakes up, he finds himself in a ruined and desertified Tokyo.

Then, the protagonist is attacked by strange-looking creature—a demon. As he tries to escape, a mysterious man appears before him.

“Take my hand if you don’t want to die.”

The moment they joined hands, a dazzling light surrounded them and the two were fused together, transformed into the forbidden being known as “Nahobino.”

After defeating the demon using the power of Nahobino, the protagonist roams about the desertified Tokyo known as “Da’at.” Da’at is dominated by gods and demons that exist in the world of mythology, including giant dragons and evil demons, who were in a fierce battle for their survival.

Just what happened to Tokyo? And who is this Nahobino being?

In search of the truth, and with the future of the world at stake, the protagonist throws himself into the battle between gods and demons.
E3 2021 Trailer

Gameplay Demo

Japanese Trailer #1

Last edited:

MaskedCircle

"Let's Positive Thinking"
May 28, 2021
Bro, I'm so hyped I can't explain. Wish it wasn't exclusive but hey, emulation exists.
protagonist's design is very unique and Doi really outdid himself with this.
Some new designs also looks interesting, can't wait.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
The wait for Atlus' mainline SMT games are always long, but well worth it.

Literally the only reason why I've hung onto my Switch... which I haven't touched in nearly 2 years. :p I'll probably do repeat playthroughs via emulation, though.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm not an SMT veteran by any means since I've only played three SMT games so far, but I'm cautiously looking forward to this.

Hoping for some good mods ... and obviously Yuzu compatibility to be sooner than later.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I think what prudis is referring to is that the wording of the tweet opens the possibility of the game being a "launch" exclusive, i.e. timed.

MaskedCircle

"Let's Positive Thinking"
May 28, 2021
I think what prudis is referring to is that the wording of the tweet opens the possibility of the game being a "launch" exclusive, i.e. timed.
ah okay, makes sense, but since it's atlus I won't really hold on it.
haha, but hey, we can hope.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Atlus is uploading demon introduction video at 1900JST daily to their Japanese youtube account. Not sure if I can post every single one of them (maybe in batch during weekend?) so you can check them out yourself.

Last edited:

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Oh, so they're going to show off all the demons or something? :minos_thonking:

Welp, no more spoilers for me. 🙈 I want to go in as blind as possible. :p

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

The game has over 200 demons so they will need the same number of working days to cover everything... So no way they can introduce all of them by the release date.

But yeah, going into media blackout is a good idea, too.

Reactions: Valdien

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I'm on the tail end of Strange Journey Redux. I'm getting my teeth kicked in by Zeus in the bonus dungeon right now. Pretty hyped for V!

I think it's one demon per day until release. I'm going to skip most of them too since I don't want to be completely spoiled. I might spoil myself for Mara though. I have to see him in all his Unreal Engine glory.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I'm on the tail end of Strange Journey Redux. I'm getting my teeth kicked in by Zeus in the bonus dungeon right now. Pretty hyped for V!
I recently beat Strange Journey Redux just a few days ago! Are you playing on normal or expert? Because, I found Zeus to be pretty manageable/easy. But then again, I avoided doing the dungeon until the end of the game, so yeah. :p Did it just before taking on Mem Aleph. (btw, there are two optional bosses after mem aleph, if you weren't aware.)

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I recently beat Strange Journey Redux just a few days ago! Are you playing on normal or expert? Because, I found Zeus to be pretty manageable/easy. But then again, I avoided doing the dungeon until the end of the game, so yeah. :p Did it just before taking on Mem Aleph. (btw, there are two optional bosses after mem aleph, if you weren't aware.)
I'm playing on normal right now since I currently don't have the time or patience to endure hard mode. I also played the original on the old DS back in the day so I'm mostly in it for the new content.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Are they going through the demons by order of races, or at random? At any case, let's see the Megami/Lady/Femme onee-sans. :flare_switch:

Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 1)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I removed and modified some of my posts to reduce clutter. Going to make compilation posts like this one on every Saturday. The new video is also out, btw.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

That limited edition is hot. Too bad the buy links on the SMT V website aren't working right now.

Reactions: TheTrain

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

This has been a giant disappointment. The sad thing is I really want this limited edition since that bag looks surprisingly good and looks better than the Persona 5 Royal LE.

Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 2)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Routa, Kvik and Arc
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 3)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Last edited:
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 4)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for posting. Incredible trailer:blobcheer:

Edit: Rewatch the trailer. There are a few instances where the translation can't fully convey the meaning of those Japanese dialogues. Taking the last line as example:

English: Please, this has to stop!
Japan: お願い、これ以上罪を重ねないて (Please, stop piling up your sins)

No translation is perfect, but in this example the translation really misses the religious favour of SMT.

Last edited:
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 5)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 6)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 7 and 8)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am a bad person because I totally forgot to update last week. Sorry :disappointed-face:

Manananggal is terrifying:face-with-cold-sweat:

Last edited:
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 9 and 10)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I did it again:face-without-mouth:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I love the design of Lachesis and her two sisters. (Nocturne) their boss fight is pretty memorable that I actually had more trouble beating them compared to say, Daisoujou or Metatron.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 11)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Reactions: ExistentialThought
Daily Monster Introduction Video (Week 12 and 13)
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Last edited:

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I've been avoiding this thread due to spoilers, but I just noticed Danu is now palayble! :partyblob: I hope they add in Dagda too, but probably won't happen.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher