Rumour Sony has a 'new $50M Playstation PC Business'. So far received an estimated $7.5M of additional revenue from it.

AshenOne

Dec 22, 2018

Its a picture taken from one of the current Sony Employee's LinkedIn. This probably could be their new PC strategy thing as the HZD PC bit is written right next after it.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I think most on this forum knows its happening, we already have Queen being involved with the Bloodborne port, and atleast 5 other Sony games being mentioned being in the process of ported or planning.

The question more is when and how far apart will they be announced. A game like GoT can be ready and they sit on it for over a year.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I think most on this forum knows its happening, we already have Queen being involved with the Bloodborne port, and atleast 5 other Sony games being mentioned being in the process of ported or planning.

The question more is when and how far apart will they be announced. A game like GoT can be ready and they sit on it for over a year.

"i know bloodborne god of war and sushi are very much in there last stages and relatively can be announced whenever but i dont have that answer. last of us (mainly second one) is in line for nvidia effects possibly dlss and stuff like stranding. "

"that list above is ones very much finishing testing or close too and being actively worked recently "

2021 could be very exciting for PC gamers who appreciate Sony games.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
$50m set aside for ports is... pretty good I guess. But obviously it depends on how thin they're spreading it.

Obviously some people are looking at this from the perspective that $50m is small from a development perspective, and I'd agree if they were making original content for PC. But they're not.

Seems like an eminently sensible amount to put towards exploring a new market and will no doubt be very lucrative for them.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
$49m for Gravity Rush ports plus one more, fuck the rest of them. [UWSL]:dmcblob:[/UWSL]

• Sad
Reactions: ISee

Maniac

As the name suggests. The OG Maniac.
Sep 19, 2018
Under your bed, creepin
metacouncil.com

What I can personally "divulge" is that folks ought to expect the wait in-between the release of new ports to reduce with every release. The timeline is planned to escalate, if you will.

Given enough success it'll also (likely, assuredly? Not sure what word I'd use given what I've heard but whatever!) become less of a "throw old shit on the platform" strategy and slowly align with new releases closing in on something that's close to day and date releases.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
$50 million to port games sounds fine to me. But what do I know.
I doubt Sony is going to put a lot of money and afford into advertisement, the Internet will do that for them for free anyway.
That should leave a lot of money for the actual porting process.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
What I can personally "divulge" is that folks ought to expect the wait in-between the release of new ports to reduce with every release. The timeline is planned to escalate, if you will.

Given enough success it'll also (likely, assuredly? Not sure what word I'd use given what I've heard but whatever!) become less of a "throw old shit on the platform" strategy and slowly align with new releases closing in on something that's close to day and date releases.
I can imagine that. In two three years time, things will be very different.

Reactions: lashman

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France

Thanks a lot for sharing what you can.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I still don't think it's $50 mil investment on ports, that's not how it reads to me.
I don't think it's $50mil just for ports, but they have to be a part of it, no way they have a separate budget for games not included in this.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I don't think it's $50mil just for ports, but they have to be a part of it, no way they have a separate budget for games not included in this.
I don't think it's that either.
I said this in the steam thread earlier, but it reads to me like the 50 mil is the projected revenue for the "new pc business" for a given time. :shrugblob:

Reactions: Shahem

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I don't think it's that either.
I said this in the steam thread earlier, but it reads to me like the 50 mil is the projected revenue for the "new pc business" for a given time. :shrugblob:
It's way too low. Unless all they have in store for PC is a single game, a single one.
It makes more sense to view it as an initial investment like Mor said.

And it's more than enough to bring many games over. I don't think they will port big PS5 heavy hitters, but legacy PS4 titles with visual enhancements are more likely than ever.

Ready to give Sony my money if they want it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
It's way too low. Unless all they have in store for PC is a single game, a single one.
Way too low compared to what, in what time frame? Quarterly, half-annually?
The single game that we have right now hasn't earned that much revenue, not even close (if the player estimates are somewhat right). It's not even half way there. I could very well see them forecast say an annual 50 mil revenue with it, because there's just the one game so far. We don't know when any of the other ports are getting released, maybe we get one per year for now, which would make $50 mil revenue annually pretty decent.
You have to keep in mind that these are not new games and are not sold at full price, and will not sell millions of units instantly.

Not saying I'm right, but it just looks right to me. :blobmorning2:

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Way too low compared to what, in what time frame? Quarterly, half-annually?
The single game that we have right now hasn't earned that much revenue, not even close (if the player estimates are somewhat right). It's not even half way there. I could very well see them forecast say an annual 50 mil revenue with it, because there's just the one game so far. We don't know when any of the other ports are getting released, maybe we get one per year for now, which would make $50 mil revenue annually pretty decent.
You have to keep in mind that these are not new games and are not sold at full price, and will not sell millions of units instantly.

Not saying I'm right, but it just looks right to me. :blobmorning2:
With reportedly so many PS4 ports in the work. I'm not sure that's the revenue forecast. A port per year would mean some games would release completely outdated on PC.

I guess we will see.