|OT| Speedrun Appreciation Thread | Gotta go fast

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
What is this thread about?

Sharing videos and general discussion about Speedruns!

What is Speedrunning?

As speedrun.com puts "Speedrunning is when an individual attempts to beat part or all of a video game as quickly as possible. This can include individual levels, specific objectives, or unique limitations as decided by the community or player. "

One of the aspects of speedrunning are the different categories that the runner can partake in such as, but not limited:
  • Any%: or fastest completion, refers to completing the game as quickly as possible, and often involves sequence breaking.
  • 100%: or full completion, requires the player to complete the game to its fullest. This often includes collecting all key items or upgrades, finding all secret features, or anything else that may be deemed important. Specific requirements for a 100% speedrun are different depending on the game.
  • Low%: or minimalist completion, requires the player to complete the game by obtaining the fewest key items or upgrades possible. If the fastest way to complete the game already involves the player picking up the fewest key items or upgrades, a low% category may not exist for that game's speedruns.
  • Glitchless, typically a subcategory of one of the above categories. Glitchless runs, as the name implies, are absent of glitches, but may still allow exploits that don't break the game.
Wikipedia

While some categories may not appeal to everyone (usually the ones where the runner is breaking and glitching through the game) they still are valid runs.

Some videos:

Dark Souls Remastered

It's the current ANY% World Record (at the time of this thread creation) for Darks Souls Remastered. Most of the bosses are skipped, though it' still an impressive feat.

Hades

It goes so fast that I can barely notice what boon the runner is choosing.

Mail Mole

It's a game that was released recently, but has a good potential for speedruns.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Good idea!
As usual i'll be a bit of a contrarian and post two of the Speedrun Groups/Niches/Whatevers that i really like and you'll find both on SpeedRun.Net too. Aslo because i kinda don't really keep up to date with the minutae of speedruns ... soooo ... anyway on we go!

[UWSL]RPG Limit Break[/UWSL]
They have a focus on RPGs of all styles and lengths and quality. Good/Bad, Long/Short, Modern or Retro it'll be here. Mainly known for the yearly RPG Limit Break event which raises money for Mental Health Charities i like them because they don't shy away from longer games which GDQ understandably tended to avoid. So if you want crappy retro NES RPGs done in 15 minutes they got you and if you then fancy a 9 hour FFXII relay marathon, they got you too. Some of their streams outside of the big event can be a bit scuffed but they're growing and you'll find a lot of the known RPG players from GDQ also support RPGLB.
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]RPG Limit Break Youtube:[/UWSL]
[UWSL]RPG Limit Break - Youtube Playlists[/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
There's also "[UWSL]Really Longathon[/UWSL]" which is kinda the same but different as they only tend to go for long games, hence the name and they're not overly active.
[UWSL]Really, Really Longathon - Youtube Videos[/UWSL]
[UWSL]Really Longathon 2 Event from 2018 Playlist[/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]Documentary/History/Timnelines[/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL]Summoning Salt[/UWSL][/UWSL] is one of the top channels to go to for an overview of Speedrun Record History and has really well done documentary videos. Worth a look to see how some Speedruns developed and the people behind them.
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Summoning Salt - Speedrun Record History Documentaries on Youtube[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Karl Jobst[/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL] is a Golden eye 64 Speedrunner turned documentor/historian but his videos are shorter and more frequent than summoning Salt. He's an absolute legend and so are his viewers.[/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Karl Jobst Speedrun Videos[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL]There are tons of others but these are the two i would recommend to people who want to see what it's all about.[/UWSL]

Last edited:

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
I really enjoy speedruns for platforming games. Watching a speedrunner flawlessly zip through a level is almost hypnotic. See: Mirror's Edge, Celeste.

This old Battleblock Theater run is a personal favourite. Fun banter between the devs and the speedrunners, lots of laughs to be had.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Oh man, I love Speedruns! I got pretty late into the Speedrunning community, but I have Speedrunners to thank for changing my opinion on some games, particularly Final Fantasy 13. I originally dropped the game mid-way through back in 2010. Hated the combat and it felt some battles were taking too long. A few years later, I started watching some speedruns and come across an FF13 speedrunner. I was surprised to see just how differently the game was being played and felt that I completely misunderstood the game's combat. Anyway, I'll post some of my favourite Speedruns. Too many to count!

The very first speedrun I watched. Although the game's audio is a bit too loud, the commentary is great and knowledgeable. This is done at the game's highest difficulty.

A Final Fantasy 13 Speedrun. Current WR.

Doom Eternal 100% UN Speedrun. Current WR.

My favourite Silent Hill 2 Speedrun.

Bionic Command 2009 Speedrun. Watched this a few weeks ago after finishing BC.

This thread wouldn't be complete without a Carci Speedrun. :p

I really enjoy speedruns for platforming games. Watching a speedrunner flawlessly zip through a level is almost hypnotic. See: Mirror's Edge, Celeste.

This old Battleblock Theater run is a personal favourite. Fun banter between the devs and the speedrunners, lots of laughs to be had.

I was about to post this one too, but looks like you got it first. :p Stamper's a hilarious guy.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Summoning Salt is one of the top channels to go to for an overview of Speedrun Record History and has really well done documentary videos. Worth a look to see how some Speedruns developed and the people behind them.

Summoning Salt - Speedrun Record History Documentaries on Youtube
Summoning Salt videos are really good. I recently watched one about Mario Kart Wii explaining the timeline of the discoveries.

I remember this run! I think I was watching it live and the whole interaction between the devs and the players was the high point of it.
Valdien

I'm not into horror games, though watching Carcinogen destroy a game is always enjoyable.

You posted Punchy SH2 run and it was also a good run, though I prefer his SH3 on SGDQ 2019:

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Ctrl+F "Summoning Salt" - 6 matches. Good.

Wonderful thread :). A few GDQ runs were just golden entertainment if the couch plays along. Mike89's sonic runs come to mind.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Ahh, yes. TomatoAngus. remember watching that run. It was great and them using props to explain things was a great idea.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Maybe you can help me out but I remember a run, maybe GDQ 2019 or 2018 during which one person on the couch had the most infectious, enthusiastic laughter at the glitches on display. "WHAT" became a bit of a meme inside the run, but I can't find out which one it is again!

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Maybe you can help me out but I remember a run, maybe GDQ 2019 or 2018 during which one person on the couch had the most infectious, enthusiastic laughter at the glitches on display. "WHAT" became a bit of a meme inside the run, but I can't find out which one it is again!
Do you remember which game/genre they were playing? Tbh I don't have a memory of it but I can help searching for.

Ahh, yes. TomatoAngus. remember watching that run. It was great and them using props to explain things was a great idea.
The prop explanation part was so good lmao

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I think i know the runner Swenhir is thinking of but i can't for the life of me get their name. I'll know it if i see it so i'll have a look and come back with some suggestions.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Do you remember which game/genre they were playing? Tbh I don't have a memory of it but I can help searching for.

The prop explanation part was so good lmao
I honestly cannot, I thought it was a Sonic game at first but after looking at 1/2/3/&K/Mania I couldn't find it. I do know it is a mainstream-ish game!

And gods, so many pants hahaha.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Hmm, was the guy on the couch called CovertMuffin? He's the only person I know of who is considered to have an "infectious" laugh in the GDQ community.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Valdien Swenhir You beat me to it! CovertMuffin is the runner i was thinking of. Here's one of his runs but you'll be able to tell if it's him or not really quickly.

The Warcraft III Run is one of his more famous ones. It might be this one.

There may be one or two others but again i need to see names before i can have an Aha! moment.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The more I dig into it, the more I think it was CovertMuffin during a Sonic run, BUT! It may be one that has been removed for some reason. I stumbled upon people memeing him as "FWAHA" which was actually the way he sounded like on the couch during that run. I'm just unsure whether it was a sonic game, but we're getting closer!

Edit : I think I remember! It was a Celeste run, I think.

Edit : Aha! Found it, I think. Youtube comments about the "What" and it being a TASbot runs makes me think this be the one. Thank you EdwardTivrusky and Valdien. His stunned marvel at what TASbot is doing makes an already amazing run even more entertaining to watch.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Great OT~!

I haven't followed the speedrunning community for ages except for a few SGDQ archive here and there.

Here's some random musings about my favourite game series. There was an event at RPG Limit Break a few years ago "Relay no Kiseki" , basically featuring all Trails games from Sky FC to Cold Steel II (Cold Steel III was not out yet in the west at that time)

Each games are about 60hours on average when played normally (with turbo mode) so it's amazing to see them completed in 8 hours or less with no turbo. It would be interesting to see a similar event when all the games (up to Cold Steel IV) are out in English (PC)

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Edit : Aha! Found it, I think. Youtube comments about the "What" and it being a TASbot runs makes me think this be the one. Thank you @EdwardTivrusky and @Valdien. His stunned marvel at what TASbot is doing makes an already amazing run even more entertaining to watch.
TASbost runs are always amazing!

Great OT~!

I haven't followed the speedrunning community for ages except for a few SGDQ archive here and there.

Here's some random musings about my favourite game series. There was an event at RPG Limit Break a few years ago "Relay no Kiseki" , basically featuring all Trails games from Sky FC to Cold Steel II (Cold Steel III was not out yet in the west at that time)

Each games are about 60hours on average when played normally (with turbo mode) so it's amazing to see them completed in 8 hours or less with no turbo. It would be interesting to see a similar event when all the games (up to Cold Steel IV) are out in English (PC)
Those relay races are something else, or any speedrun from a JRPG.

• Comfy
Reactions: Swenhir and Kvik
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

Today I bring the Dark Souls 2 All Bosses by Distortion2 during SGDQ2019.

The game deciding to drop frames every 15 minutes was hilarious and him fighting against Aava while it was invisible was one of the highlights.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Some more (hiliarious) Speedruns! These two are my favourites from ADGQ 2020. There's something comfy about bad horror games being speedrun/destroyed at GDQ. :blobmorning2:

Doctor Hauzer - A short run. Makes me glad I never played the game. :p

Nightcry - This is a spiritual successor to Clock Tower, directed by the creator of the CT series. Also a very janky game!

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Some more (hiliarious) Speedruns! These two are my favourites from ADGQ 2020. There's something comfy about bad horror games being speedrun/destroyed at GDQ. :blobmorning2:

Doctor Hauzer - A short run. Makes me glad I never played the game. :p

Nightcry - This is a spiritual successor to Clock Tower, directed by the creator of the CT series. Also a very janky game!
Speedrun from jank games are always good I'm saving those 2 to watch later once I stop playing Disco Elysium.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Finally managed to watch Doctor Hauzer and Nightcry and I don't have words for how both of those games seems bad lol.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I've been watching this Resident Evil marathon during my whole week and it was so good

It starts with Resident Evil Gun Survivor and I definitely recommend watching it as it's not popular game. Also if you don't want to watch 8 hours of speed runs I recommend the following segments:

Resident Evil Gun Survivor
RE2make Hardcore (almost) no damage
Resident Evil VII
RE1make Jill Randomizer Race

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

4 games being run in this video:

• Cars
  • Goof Troop
  • Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
  • The Lion King
All good runs with a good commentaries explaining what's going on.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Monooboe Mentioning Psychonauts in the Steam thread reminded me of this video which kind of fits into this thread and is well worth watching regardless.

Double Fine "Dev's Play" Series - Psychonauts Speedrun with SMK

It's a video where the developers react to someone speedrunning their game but this time they're in the same room. There are faster strats now and even back then there were faster people but it's still a very entertaining video to watch.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Monooboe Mentioning Psychonauts in the Steam thread reminded me of this video which kind of fits into this thread and is well worth watching regardless.

Double Fine "Dev's Play" Series - Psychonauts Speedrun with SMK

It's a video where the developers react to someone speedrunning their game but this time they're in the same room. There are faster strats now and even back then there were faster people but it's still a very entertaining video to watch.
I'll watch it later! It's always interesting watching the developers reacting to these speedruns.

OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I finally watched that Doom speedrun, it's crazy how fast those people move lol

Reactions: lashman
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

Some parts from that run are pretty crazy, it's long and can get a bit repetitive as the category requires getting all the emblems.

• Eyes
Reactions: Swenhir and Valdien
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

Another Sonic game speedrun, this time it's the fan game Sonic Robo Blast 2. For those unaware it's made in a modified Doom engine and has been in development since 1998!

The run is incredible, AmberCyprian played it well and was still able to provide commentary on what they were doing.

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
As SGDQ 2021 is over I'm watching the VoD for some runs that I missed. Who could've guessed that GeoGuessr could make an incredible game to speedrun?

• Gib
OP
Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018

The Dark Souls series must be one of the favorite games to watch speed runs. MattApocaalypse did an incredible run of DS3.