PSA Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is phenomenal and you should go watch it.

Atraveller

MetaMember
Sep 22, 2018

It's the best superhero movie in this decade. Visually stunning and hilarious, and most importantly it has more heart and vitality than your average committee-designed Marvel flicks.

I wrote a review here. It's ok if you don't want to read it, but I want to get your butts in theaters. Fucking Venom did bonkers numbers, this better not fucking flop!
Middle school student Miles Morales (voiced with tremendous sincerity by Shameik Moore), is the latest victim of yet another radioactive spider. Soon after Miles is granted powers similar to Peter Parker’s, the original Spider-Man, he gets involved in a conflict between Peter and the notorious crime boss Wilson “Kingpin” Fisk (Liev Schreiber). Kingpin’s experimental super-collider opens portals to parallel universes and accidentally pulls various Spider-People into Miles’s world during a confrontation between Spider-Man and Kingpin’s underlings. The team of Spider-People must now work together to find a way home and to prevent Kingpin from tearing the space-time continuum apart.

The story may sound like a standard superhero affair, but what sets Into the Spider-Verse apart from other Marvel flicks is its sharp humor, a personal coming-of-age story, and a poignant message that recaptures the magic of the genre and rekindles our love of it. Into the Spider-Verse is a love letter written in celebration of the superhero genre, and more particularly, of Spider-Man; it stands on decades worth of pop culture and looks back on its history and legacy (fans of Sam Raimi’s trilogy will be ecstatic; Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man gets a few nods). The film raises the question of the meaning behind the mantle “superhero”, and it reminds us of why we fell in love with it in the first place. Into the Spider-Verse fully encapsulates the hope and bravery a superhero represents.
Remember when films have actual colors? *cough* Marvel*cough*

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah it was amazing! While I personally didn't really like the low frame rate animation and it sometimes looked like a telltale game, but those nitpicks are miniscule because everything else more than makes up for it.

What surprised me the most is how emotional I got, all the different spider people bonding and being there for each other was powerful. Something very much needed for today's lonesome world.

OP
Atraveller

Atraveller

MetaMember
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah it was amazing! While I personally didn't really like the low frame rate animation and it sometimes looked like a telltale game, but those nitpicks are miniscule because everything else more than makes up for it.

What surprised me the most is how emotional I got, all the different spider people bonding and being there for each other was powerful. Something very much needed for today's lonesome world.
I think the purpose of low-framerate is to mimic the feeling of being hand-animated. Regardless, the fight scenes remain smooth and clear.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Oh weird, for some reason I had it in my head that this was a series, not a movie.
Looking at my local theaters, it doesn't seem like they are playing it in English. At least the trailer that's linked has an awful Finnish dub.

I think I'll wait for a digital release.

Reactions: lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Still waiting for the release in my country, my little brother is so hyped to watch this movie.

Flandy

hi
Dec 19, 2018
Watched it last night. Think it's my favorite Spider-Man movie. Everything about it is just phenomenal. Cannot wait for the 4k blu ray

OP
Atraveller

Atraveller

MetaMember
Sep 22, 2018
Watched it last night. Think it's my favorite Spider-Man movie. Everything about it is just phenomenal. Cannot wait for the 4k blu ray
I think it is the best superhero movie in the last ten years. Seriously, who else can compete with this?

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I don't say this to just muck up the thread with arguments, but I'm someone who has been disappointed with Marvel's efforts since around 2016, and has been disappointed with Spidey's portrayals for years.

So I'm really hesitant to believe this hype. It seems nearly off the charts! But goddang those gifs are gorgeous. People saying it's their favorite Spidey movie makes me almost ready to go brave the theater and all the out of school kiddies that will be there. :confused:

OP
Atraveller

Atraveller

MetaMember
Sep 22, 2018
I don't say this to just muck up the thread with arguments, but I'm someone who has been disappointed with Marvel's efforts since around 2016, and has been disappointed with Spidey's portrayals for years.

So I'm really hesitant to believe this hype. It seems nearly off the charts! But goddang those gifs are gorgeous. People saying it's their favorite Spidey movie makes me almost ready to go brave the theater and all the out of school kiddies that will be there. :confused:
It’s fine to keep expectation in check, but don’t miss it.

I’ve had a few people who were sceptical on my timeline, they all needed up loving it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Granted, I haven't watched the Raimi Spiderman movies in a very long time, but as it feels now I would say this is my favourite Spiderman movie. (of course, seeing the first Raimi Spiderman when it first came was mind blowing which can't be beat)

Flandy

hi
Dec 19, 2018
watched it earlier today, it was great!

the music really complimented the visuals

it was a lot more emotional than i thought it would be... made me teary eyed quite a bit lol :cry:
The Stan Lee cameo and what led up to it hit me hard
rip spider-man

voodoo

Dec 12, 2018
Was fortunate enough to watch this last night. Absolutely brilliant, and I feel like I must have missed dozens of subtle references with how fast everything zipped by. Can't wait to rewatch it!

And that post credits scene :D

SaviourMK2

A Kamen Rider just passing through
Jan 1, 2019
One of the best films of 2018, and i usually crap on CG films (I'm a 2D animation kinda guy). The after credits dissolved any criticism I had of the film.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Just saw it. The movie wasn’t as good as everyone was making it out to be.

It was actually better.

And one of my only complaints was that a certain character needed to get his due in this multiverse format, and he actually did in the post-credits.

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
Yes, it is very good. This comes from someone that is burnt out on Marvel films. Spider-Verse is one of my favorite superhero movies, up there with Watchmen and The Dark Knight.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
How much Peni Parker gets screentime? My interest depends on that. :smart-thinking-blob:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
In a year where Black Panther beat out Infinity War in domestic (US) sales, Spider-Verse was still my movie-of-2018.

I went in thinking it was going to be some off-brand side-project with a budget and creative verve to boot, but it's actually a great film that exudes style and expert execution.

It brilliantly conceals the "yet another character origin story" feel by supplementing already-established heroes. I am astounded how the film takes the entire trope of origins and turns them into 30-seconds of excellence...several times in the film.

Spiderverse is just...Amazing, pun intended.