Opinion Stadias graphical power potential.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
In regards to Stadia, how additive is the graphical power in regards to RAM and CPU threads?

Let's ignore all the claims about thousands of players in a map that no-one knows how to do or make fun. Let's talk real implementations and possible advancements.

I would convert to a Stadia shill if modded Minecraft could use 50 or 100 gigs of RAM, making endgame smooth and sometimes even playable. (regardless of the fact that MODDED Minecraft would never get on Stadia)

Or how about Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress? More RAM and CPU would make playing in bigger maps more smooth or possible.
Or faster turn times in Paradox 4X games.
Or not waiting several minutes per 30 day intervall in late-game Aurora 4X
Or faster turn times in CIV or Total War?

Reactions: lashman and xinek

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Are you asking what removing the need to compute graphics locally will allow for in terms of game design changes/implementation on Stadia?

OP
Kyougar

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Are you asking what removing the need to compute graphics locally will allow for in terms of game design changes/implementation on Stadia?
No, I am asking if the Stadia tech is so scalable that games could just use more RAM or CPU threads in existing games. I am talking about Simulations, Strategy, 4X, etc. games that are RAM dependent first and foremost, like Minecraft, Rimworld, Aurora4X, Dwarf Fortress, X3, Supreme Ruler 2020, etc. Or CPU dependent games like Cities skylines.

The design changes in new games would come later if devs go Stadia exclusive, they could implement more checks on AI decisions, etc.
Better visual graphics and physics are just a PR smokescreen for the masses, the real gamechanger would be on AI checks and decisions. The realism of the simulated Economy on X3 for example is dependent on how often the AI can check the status of the universe, the place of every ship, the price of every commodity, etc. The realism in Pride of Nations is also dependent on what the AI decides in every 15 day cycle, making the end of turn waiting time extremely long.