Deals Steam Autumn Sale | Nov 26 - Dec 3 | Questions, Hidden Gems and Recommendations

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
Welcome to the Autumn Seal! This will be a place to post your most interesting deals, or even just asking people questions about games you potentially want to buy. Don't forget to check IsThereAnyDeal before picking up a game, and have fun!

Make sure you vote for your Steam Awards 2019 picks while you are browsing to get your badge!

Thanks to freshVeggie for last years thread, which is where I shamelessly stole this format.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I second the Queen's suggestion of Nex Machina.

It's the SHMUP of this generation.
Maybe a regional thing but I'd never call that a SHMUP. It's a twin stick shooter in small arenas. Doesn't take away that it's a really great action game but someone could get real confused if they buy it without looking more into it based on these recommendations expecting a shoot em up.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Hope you don't take this personally, but Battle Chasers is some of the most generic grind I've played. But it's available on Game Pass so one can try it out for themselves before they buy.
I agree with you 100%, the slow and long animations in combat has to be one of the worst decisions this team made when they developed it...

Dancing Queen you are spot on with the Book of Demons and Nex Machina recommendations, excellent games and great value at that price!

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Jamestown is a really fun shoot em up that's real cheap right now. Jamestown+ is coming out soon that'll have a discount for owners of Jamestown so if you spend $3 now you'll get a discount on Jamestown+ when it releases. They've said they'll say what the discount is tomorrow so prep now and pick up the base game:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I would recommend these two recent games, which are at their historically lowest prices:

I am tempted by the TellTale Batman bundle, because it is good value for the price:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I quite enjoyed the Telltale Batman games, to my own surprise. The first one more than the second, but both were a very fun spin on that series. I definitely recommend it if you have some affinity for those characters. It really plays well off of your expectations. If you don’t, I don’t think it would be as interesting though. The Wolf Among Us is still my favorite thing they’ve done.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Jamestown is a really fun shoot em up that's real cheap right now. Jamestown+ is coming out soon that'll have a discount for owners of Jamestown so if you spend $3 now you'll get a discount on Jamestown+ when it releases. They've said they'll say what the discount is tomorrow so prep now and pick up the base game:

Weren't the developers recommending people not to buy it because of some problems with the publishers? (that's what holding the release of Jamestown+)

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

Weren't the developers recommending people not to buy it because of some problems with the publishers? (that's what holding the release of Jamestown+)
I think you are confusing this game with:

They are the ones that are clashing with the publisher.

Jamestown was, as far as I'm aware, self-published.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019

The game has its problems (rogue-lite structure that imho takes more away from the game than it adds to it, serviceable gameplay) but i did expect to give it any "best writing 2019"-type of vote i could, no contest.

(Disco Elysium made me choose between the two in the end)

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
This game is hilarious and totally worth the five bucks. And its so very very British.

I know most people already have the game, but I'll continue to champion it until everyone who loves point & clicks and lovecraftian horror plays it. Season 1 is better than 2, imo, and comes free with the amazing soundtrack. Developed by the Blasphemous folks.

One of the best games I've played all year for just 4 bucks. And it's better than the original in just about every way.

It may not be as deep as Slay the Spire, but it's still one of the best versions of solitaire I've ever played, and I love it so much.

Really fun little puzzle game that's worth the full seven bucks, let alone 69 cents.

Another gem of a casual game. This is the best Match 3 game I've ever played, and it's worth far more than the 69 cent sale price.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I got Surge 2, and wow is this game fun! It really scratches the Souls itch. I've only played a couple of hours, however, so don't take this as a full review. But it's a blast so far, and the first boss is no pushover.

Also got Disco Elysium -- played it a bit but disappointed they don't support ultra widescreen yet, so I may not play anymore until that's out. Phew, what off-putting characters. Also picked up Skyrim and Oblivion for cheap from Gamebillet -- I played Skyrim on PS3 which was a miserable experience, and I've always wanted to play it on PC with mods. Yay!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Hades, Ashen and Boneworks releasing just a few days from each other. My time will still be used for Boneworks with some Hades on the side.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I want to get Disco Elysium, but I know I won't play it between now and the Winter Sale... So I might as well just wait til then. Will probably grab Eliza though.
TBQH there isn't a single game that I might by now that I'll play before Christmas. It always annoyed me how close these sales were, but then again, gives me a better idea of how I should budget since the Chinese New Year/Spring Sales are the weakest sales of the year.

I think of this as an opportunity to show indie devs support without breaking the bank.

Maybe a regional thing but I'd never call that a SHMUP. It's a twin stick shooter in small arenas. Doesn't take away that it's a really great action game but someone could get real confused if they buy it without looking more into it based on these recommendations expecting a shoot em up.
NOted.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Most the recommendations (including mine!) are all from before 2019. Any other hidden gems for 2019 to suggest that could feasibly be top ten of the year material? Looking to make my final pass through the store for purchases in this sale and right now I have Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Children of Morta, and MO:Astray in my cart. I don't mind the idea of adding one or two more games in the $20ish range. I might also just splurge and get Sekiro if nothing else, but probably not.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Most the recommendations (including mine!) are all from before 2019. Any other hidden gems for 2019 to suggest that could feasibly be top ten of the year material? Looking to make my final pass through the store for purchases in this sale and right now I have Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Children of Morta, and MO:Astray in my cart. I don't mind the idea of adding one or two more games in the $20ish range. I might also just splurge and get Sekiro if nothing else, but probably not.
I would say Gujian 3 applies here, game is seriously impressive and came completely out of nowhere for me (ok technically it's 2018 but it only got the english patch this year...)

Touhou Luna Nights is also crazy good.

Both of those games will be in my GOTY list.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I haven't played much 2019 stuff and games that I would think could make people's list aren't on Steam (yet) like Goose Game (meh) or Sayonara Wild Hearts (great visuals, great soundtrack, sadly not as fun to play imo).

What I would recommend but it isn't on sale as is the publishers tradition:

It will make my list but it being a late port that released to basically no fanfare it is no surprise if it didn't perform to their expectations.

Katana: Zero was pretty neat though.

Or if you don't have it:

Haven't put much time into it but Dicey Dungeons is great:

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019

These are tied as my GOTY. I also second Ascheroth and NeuralProxy lists, most of these games are great and well worth your money.

Edit: I also forgot about DMC5, that is a really crazy good deal for anyone that was waiting on it.

Deleted member 113

Here's a few random recommendations.

Some older stuff (several can be bought for next to nothing, so they're good to spend your "card money" on):

or

And some newer stuff:

Last edited by a moderator:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I wonder if I should keep buying or wait till winter. I mean, the money is right here, who knows in a few weeks...

Reactions: Spookyfriend

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I think you are confusing this game with:

They are the ones that are clashing with the publisher.

Jamestown was, as far as I'm aware, self-published.

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!

Pretty low discounts but I can't recommend these two recent games enough

Also yes, get Eliza, it's amazing.
Recently-reviewed MO: Astray. Great game.
A few of my recommendations regardless of discounts:

I recently removed HOB from my wishlist. I have a rule that if I have not purchased in 2 years, the game wasn't discounted enough/there were better games to buy.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I recently removed HOB from my wishlist. I have a rule that if I have not purchased in 2 years, the game wasn't discounted enough/there were better games to buy.
That's a shame because Hob is really great. It's really just a game all about exploration and puzzles more than anything. There's combat but it's pretty basic from what I recall.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Any Historical Lows or Rare Sales (having a sale after a very long time) this time?
I know the Sherlock Holmes collection is -90% off

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
That's a shame because Hob is really great. It's really just a game all about exploration and puzzles more than anything. There's combat but it's pretty basic from what I recall.
I bought Hob at release but it just doesn't play well with 10 series Nvidia cards, chronic stuttering. So I refunded it and then they went broke. Thought it would have turned up in a bundle by now but I suppose ownership is still tenuous.

Blatent Self Promotion Time!

My curator is based around hidden gems, follow don't follow but there are some cool forgotten about games in it.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I don't usually post recommendations in sale threads, but I would encourage anyone who likes puzzle games, especially if you also like metroidvania games, to buy this game:

It is probably my GOTY (sorry Disco Elysium ...). I posted this review on Steam earlier this year:
Many aspects of the game are unrefined, such as the simplistic combat, the generic art style and the inconsequential story. All of those things should bother me, but the genre mashup offered is kind of irresistible: a 3d puzzle game with a lot of exploration, some combat and a metroidvania style progression system. Sounds like a nightmare to fuse all of those components together, but this game somehow succeeds. The puzzles themselves start out trivial, but there are some intensely pleasurable eureka moments to be had down the line. Many 3d puzzle games make you feel like a menial worker in a Rube Goldberg machine factory, but this game is more about understanding the exact properties of your gear and machines/materials in the world, which meshes really well with the metroidvania progression. I think this may be the best game I have played this year.