Discussion Steam Deck - What you gonna do ?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Really tempted to sell my Switch and get this but im guessing im late since i didn't reserve it yesterday
I would play my backlog on this on top of some emulation PS2 on handheld sounds great (shame PS2 emulation is basically non-existant on Android in 2021)
well you can still reserve it, but you probably won't get it before Q2 of next year

Magnamalo

Bearded sora
May 9, 2021
well you can still reserve it, but you probably won't get it before Q2 of next year
Q2 next year holyyyyyy im too impatient for that
If i reserve it now my mind will be too fixated on the release on this forever not good for my brain lol
I'll see in the future if there's any changes to getting it earlier somehow

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
If I end up getting a Deck I'm pretty sure the majority of games that I have in my "Favorites" tab in my library will run pretty well from indies to AAA.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Q2 next year holyyyyyy im too impatient for that
If i reserve it now my mind will be too fixated on the release on this forever not good for my brain lol
I'll see in the future if there's any changes to getting it earlier somehow
Well if you're interested I'd still get the reservation in today, it's only going to get worse when "the general public" gets access to the reservations tomorrow.
And depending on where you live it might also still be Q1 2021.
Just check what it says here for you:

(I also secretly hope that this is just the absolute worst case, since I imagine a bunch of people will eventually cancel and you'll move up the queue, or Valve is going to produce more or it's just a really conservative estimate.)

It's just a refundable 5$ deposit, might as well.

Magnamalo

Bearded sora
May 9, 2021
Well if you're interested I'd still get the reservation in today, it's only going to get worse when "the general public" gets access to the reservations tomorrow.
And depending on where you live it might also still be Q1 2021.
Just check what it says here for you:

(I also secretly hope that this is just the absolute worst case, since I imagine a bunch of people will eventually cancel and you'll move up the queue, or Valve is going to produce more or it's just a really conservative estimate.)

It's just a refundable 5$ deposit, might as well.
Good point worth a try that's true i mean hopefully by the time i can actually order i'll find another job im sure i should lol
Shame the Switch is a Ring Fit Adventure machine in the house still used otherwise money from that going towards this for sure :cool:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I'm somewhat fortunate in that I have a semi-capable laptop that can play some indie games and remote plays stuff well, and I just picked up a cheap, decent Android tablet to further boost my remote play comfort, but the Steam Deck is going to largely replace that laptop and honestly a lot of the tablet as well, due to the pick up and play nature and the not having to mess with laps etc.

I still probably won't use it for games where I really want high fidelity (Control, Death Stranding) since I have the device for that, and anything that is heavily better with M+KB (Cities: Skylines). It'll be excellent for clearing out some of my tactics RPG backlog since that's actually what I got the laptop for but it's not ideal still.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It's surprising EU orders for Deck are still Q1 2022, when NA already is at Q2. Maybe Valve just underestimated demand in NA and/or overestimated the one for EU?

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Did any of the rumors turn out to be true by the way? I remember that one reddit leak had the price tag correct, but I can't find it right now to see if there was anything else there.

Is it Van Gogh?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I got the 256gb model on reserve. I will install a few favourites on there, and possibly my flavour of the week. I’m happy to run most things on my desktop and stream to the Deck, but when I’m on the go (such as travelling to the in-laws) I’ll be loading whatever I fancy playing on it.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I tried getting one the second they went live, but due to all the errors I wasn’t able to reserve one until about 90 minutes later. I ended up getting the 512GB model with a queue time of Q2 2022.

I’ll probably follow the trend of leaving the latest AAA games for the desktop and pretty much everything else from my backlog can go on the deck. For example right now I’m playing Roguebook and the Legend of Mana remaster, both of those would be great on the Deck.

Also I’d like to see if the PokerStars client would work on it with Proton. The desktop client is much better than the mobile app.

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Did any of the rumors turn out to be true by the way? I remember that one reddit leak had the price tag correct, but I can't find it right now to see if there was anything else there.

Is it Van Gogh?
It fits all the Van Gogh criteria.

LPDDR5 memory
Zen 2
RDNA 2

And first availability of Van Gogh is the current time (mid 2021) iirc.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I tried getting one the second they went live, but due to all the errors I wasn’t able to reserve one until about 90 minutes later. I ended up getting the 512GB model with a queue time of Q2 2022.

I’ll probably follow the trend of leaving the latest AAA games for the desktop and pretty much everything else from my backlog can go on the deck. For example right now I’m playing Roguebook and the Legend of Mana remaster, both of those would be great on the Deck.

Also I’d like to see if the PokerStars client would work on it with Proton. The desktop client is much better than the mobile app.
Something a lot of people don't mention; if you're playing with the Deck at home, you can still play the latest "AAAA games" on your beefy PC and just play on the deck with remote play, might even be an option for any demanding games, as streaming will be much lighter on the battery. As long as the game doesn't need super low latency, remote play is always an option.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I just moved, so I've been thinking about my setup. In addition to my desktop and lounge spaces, I think the Steam Deck will fill the void when I want to hang out in other areas of my home, or even outside. And of course it'll be perfect for any trips.

For me it's less of I'll play these genres here from now on, but more that there will be times where I'll be in the mood to play on a handheld, and want to play something that doesn't play much worse than say at a desktop. That said, I'm sure emulation will be part of that. Something like Battle Brothers would work great as well.

I'm not sure why this was one of the first things to come to mind, but I thought taking this out on my deck while it's raining to explore Vvardenfell in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind would make for a good time.

There are so many things you could do with a handheld PC. I do plan on sticking with SteamOS. I suspect there will be a lot of nice features (Quick Resume for example) that Valve builds into it, but more than that I feel strongly about Linux's future as a gaming platform.

I doubt it, but I wonder if you can use it as a secondary monitor for your desktop setup while it's docked? Or more likely set it up to serve as an independent notifications/chat screen when docked.

I'm interested to see how Grid Cartographer behaves on a touchscreen for RPG mapping.

I believe something like has been done before, but use a Vive Tracker attached to the Steam Deck to turn it into a VR window/camera.

There is a lot of potential here.

• Gib
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's surprising EU orders for Deck are still Q1 2022, when NA already is at Q2. Maybe Valve just underestimated demand in NA and/or overestimated the one for EU?
When the numbers could still be observed (the first 2 hours IIRC?) the US reservations were about 5x as many as in the EU.

• This!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Well it isn't available in my country so I'm SOL. I'll probably lose interest if/when Valve decides to release it here given that preorders are getting a Q2 2022 release.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
The more I think about it, the more excited I get about the Steam Deck. Like, right out of the gate it would be worth it for me solely to be able to play Falcom games on a handheld and still get to own them on Steam. I loved playing the Ys and Trails games on my Vita but having to actually buy them on that platform always felt like a compromise to me. At the time I really wished I could just buy them on Steam and still play on Vita somehow.

But then I kept thinking about it and truly realized the possibilities here.

Portable Factorio.
Portable Dark Souls.
Tons of JRPGs, including all the Final Fantasy.
Tons of fighting games.
Tons of Picross games.
Tons of VNs.
RetroArch.

And at this point I'm already thinking that maybe I should get a backup unit just in case it gets discontinued like the Steam Controller...

Last edited:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
To be honest I convinced myself to get it as much for the non gaming purposes as gaming because I'm not big on handhelds and I don't travel much, and when I do I'm driving or doing what I'm out to do so no real time to play a handheld. I was planning on getting a tablet later this year for similar reasons so this announcement came at the perfect time. I can see myself using it as a 2nd screen when I'm gaming on the desktop, like pull up an achievement guide instead of alt tabbing all the time. Or playing a bit in bed then slapping it in the dock and watching hbo max or netflix on the TV in my bedroom.

Of course the gaming part does interest me too. A big reason why I lost interest in handhelds is because the games always felt worse than consoles/PCs and as far as Switch is concerned I get bored really fast with most of Nintendo's titles. I find them too simplistic to keep my attention for long outside of a couple of games, but with deck that shouldn't be an issue. Playing stellaris or hitman in bed sounds much more appealing for me.

sca

Jul 16, 2021
Steam Deck mainly for indies, visual novels, JRPGs (Persona portable?), Team Fortress 2, and emulation. Maybe some lower end games as well (Counter-Strike 1.6 or Tie Fighter). Another reason is also that I play a lot of Guild Wars 2, so knowing that there's going to be a Steam release of it in the future can possibly make the Steam Deck a portable Guild Wars 2 machine. Reserved the 512GB

Problem is that I don't play with portables too much, so it might gather some dust. Maybe the Deck will change that

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Got the 512GB model, penciled in for Q1 2022. Considering my pre-order went through about seven minutes after launch, I really have to wonder how many people out there actually got Q4 2021 dates.

Weirdly enough I'm most excited for portable Death Stranding, and Hades played on a respectable screen. (No offense Switch, that HUD is just way too busy for you...) I'm sure I'll also be trawling through my backlog as well. I hope the anti-cheat stuff gets sorted out because I'd love to clear out Destiny busywork without having to fire up my PC.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
When the numbers could still be observed (the first 2 hours IIRC?) the US reservations were about 5x as many as in the EU.
I wonder why that is, EU is much more PC centric than US and has bigger population. Maybe because Valve only used american IGN to present this and nobody else? Although there is also the fact that it is significantly more expensive in Europe, and the more PC focused part of Europe is postcommunist and thus poorer.

I gotta say the marketing reveal in general could have been stronger, I would have liked to see more games running on it (Witcher 3..), more footage of its interface etc, it was kinda barebones (one website with few gifs and in total some 10 minutes of IGN footage).

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder just how many units Valve can allocate for the Dec launch. Seems like if you didn't get in the first 10-15 minutes you have to wait until Q1.

So maybe like 100-200k for all of Dec and after that its all Q1.

Will be disappointing if there are chip issues/shortages too. Its a new APU from AMD so that could slow things down.

The fact that Q2 and Q3 are already in play is concerning but this data can all change very fast if Valve ramps up production. And if many don't go through with their reservation.

I'm starting to feel real bad for all the steam newbies out there who couldn't preorder because of the bot protection but hopefully Valve left a good sum for them in the coming days.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I wonder why that is, EU is much more PC centric than US and has bigger population. Maybe because Valve only used american IGN to present this and nobody else?
It's a rather cynical thought, but I think it might also be because the US has a more developed hardware reselling / scalping culture.

I gotta say the marketing reveal in general could have been stronger, I would have liked to see more games running on it (Witcher 3..), more footage of its interface etc, it was kinda barebones (one website with few gifs and in total some 10 minutes of IGN footage).
I mean, they basically sold out all the units they can make for months already without even offering it everywhere. Spending more on marketing would have been silly from that perspective. (And the website + FAQ actually provide more meaningful information than what's available on console reveals)

OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Are you still able to see your ETA ? I never saw it for mine.

OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Rumors are that this means that you're in the first batch in December. But who knows.
Eh, we will see but it would make sense. It was painful but I ordered in maybe less than 10 minutes.
I was super lucky to not be hit by the order protection thing like so many others.

• Evil
Reactions: Cacher

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I mean, they basically sold out all the units they can make for months already without even offering it everywhere. Spending more on marketing would have been silly from that perspective. (And the website + FAQ actually provide more meaningful information than what's available on console reveals)
While true, I am still annoyed by it because I want to se more of it :)

• Sad

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So what kind of docking experience are people looking for with this thing?

Its essentially a PS4 based PC if you dock it with your living room TV.

So:

1080p and 900p 30fps = all your open world and AAA games.

4k and 1080p = all your indies and PS360 era games

Emulation will be great too on a big screen. I wonder how good 3DS emulation can be with this since it has a touch screen. Some potential for sure.

I think overall it will surprise many with just how hassle free and satisfying this thing can be for couch gamers. Remote play ofc will be really good too.

And if you dock the Deck alongside your current PC setup I think it will really warrant a 3 monitor setup for those who already don't have a setup like that.

You can dedicate an entire monitor to this thing and a lot of multitask things with it as 2nd screen exp. You should be able to use the Deck itself as a controller too.

I'm really hoping the official dock isn't too expensive because I really want/need 2 of them. I am guessing they will do something like 50$ for it.

I can't wait shop the horrible and cheap unofficial ones across amazon :cautious:

• Gib

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, I already have more powerful desktop for the "docked" experience.
I'm buying the Deck for the handheld experience and at least right now can't really think of anything I'd dock it for.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Same here. I have a great PC and I'm happy to keep that hooked up to my TV. The Steam Deck will probably live in my bedroom and spend a lot of its time in my backpack.

I'll likely use it a lot before bed and on lazy Sundays, and it'll be useful for the long trips up North to see my in-laws.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Only reason why I will dock mine is Ethernet port connection to download content for seasons hahaha

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm probably never going to dock it, I have no use case for that.
I imagine many won't. I barely use my tv for anything anymore. Some sports basically and my PS4 has been collecting dust for a while.

Still for a few weeks out of the year I like to drag my PC to the living room for some dumb fun on my 55 inch. Its a hassle tho and nothing about is worth it.

With the Deck it will be much more convenient. It can be the dream Nvidia Shield pro like device for Steam users.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I have been using couch TV PC gaming since 2013, so no use docking it either as far as I am concerned. Handheld is where it's at.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I'm probably never going to dock it, I have no use case for that.
I don't expect I will often, but if I can set it up to serve as a chat/notifications secondary display, or as an alternative to a Steam Link streaming setup in a different room that could be useful.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How would this CPU compare to the legendary 2500k ?

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I moved my PS4 to the living room since it's the only Blu-ray player I have and that's where my 7.1 audio system and 65" TV is. Since then I have a TV I can't use in my room. That's where Steam Deck is going to come in - I'll have it docked to stream media using a media server. Whenever I feel like playing, I'll just undock it. Can't see myself playing anything on it while docked since I'd just play on my desktop in that case.

NeilH

Jul 16, 2021

Uses steam API integration to let you check how your library will run on Proton. Profile and library must be set to public, which can be done from your Steaam profile page.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
not when you have 6k+ games ... then it just breaks :negative-blob:
That's a sign that you own too many games. Don't know if it's still the case but I remember a while back if I tried to look at someone's games list on their Steam profile and they owned a similarly high amount, my browser would just crash. When even Steam itself can't handle the load you know that's too many. :p

• Sad

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That's a sign that you own too many games. Don't know if it's still the case but I remember a while back if I tried to look at someone's games list on their Steam profile and they owned a similarly high amount, my browser would just crash. When even Steam itself can't handle the load you know that's too many. :p
nope, that's still there ... can't browse my wishlist during sales either:

Broke for me at 1.5K games but seems to work on libraries of less than 1K
well in that case i guess it'll NEVER work for me, lol

• Eyes
Reactions: NeilH