Discussion Steam Deck - What you gonna do ?

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
nope, that's still there ... can't browse my wishlist during sales either:

Lmao jesus. Are there even that many worthwhile games on Steam?

I removed a bunch of games from mine during the sale. Felt pretty good, I'll probably remove some more later. You should try it sometime. :p

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Lmao jesus. Are there even that many worthwhile games on Steam?

I removed a bunch of games from mine during the sale. Felt pretty good, I'll probably remove some more later. You should try it sometime. :p
there seem to be ... i only wishlist games i actually would want to buy some day

there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more games on steam in total by now ... probably close to 40-50k now

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Well, Synth Riders shows a platinum rating on ProtonDB so I'll uh... keep that in mind for when I get the deck, I guess :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Actually now I'm wondering how soon people will get creative and build a back strap thingy to plug a VR headset into the Deck and make-your-own wireless Index (or whatever). If it's not month of release I'll be disappointed in all of us.

• Gib

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Well, Synth Riders shows a platinum rating on ProtonDB so I'll uh... keep that in mind for when I get the deck, I guess :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Actually now I'm wondering how soon people will get creative and build a back strap thingy to plug a VR headset into the Deck and make-your-own wireless Index (or whatever). If it's not month of release I'll be disappointed in all of us.
omg, that would be SO COOL!!!

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
Fuck me I’m not that bright. I was wondering how using trainers are going to work while playing on the Deck and never thought about remote play, which is how I’ll mostly be playing anyways 🙄

• Toucan

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
To be honest I convinced myself to get it as much for the non gaming purposes as gaming because I'm not big on handhelds and I don't travel much, and when I do I'm driving or doing what I'm out to do so no real time to play a handheld. I was planning on getting a tablet later this year for similar reasons so this announcement came at the perfect time. I can see myself using it as a 2nd screen when I'm gaming on the desktop, like pull up an achievement guide instead of alt tabbing all the time. Or playing a bit in bed then slapping it in the dock and watching hbo max or netflix on the TV in my bedroom.

Of course the gaming part does interest me too. A big reason why I lost interest in handhelds is because the games always felt worse than consoles/PCs and as far as Switch is concerned I get bored really fast with most of Nintendo's titles. I find them too simplistic to keep my attention for long outside of a couple of games, but with deck that shouldn't be an issue. Playing stellaris or hitman in bed sounds much more appealing for me.
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that Hitman 1 and 2 are Platinum-rated on Proton DB, so I can't wait for Hitman 3.

When it comes out.

In January.

Weird it's not out yet.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Amidst all the PR dump for this thing I forgot all about the most important and needed feature with the Deck.

We will be able to transfer game files from PC to this right?

I haven't used SteamOS in a long while but I don't remember ever trying to do it from one OS to another. It shouldn't be an issue since that is what Proton does but I have no clue.

Otherwise this is probably the biggest reason to put Windows on this outside of Gamepass....being able to easily transfer drag and drop games from your PC to Deck. Because I definitely don't want to redownload all the games I have on my external.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
a while back if I tried to look at someone's games list on their Steam profile and they owned a similarly high amount, my browser would just crash.
SteamDB's calculator usually works fine for that purpose.
For instance: https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561198028121353/ or https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561198148627568/

The profile page initially takes some time to update, but then displaying the top games is instantaneous.

Make sure not to click the link to Steam.

Last edited:

Wubby

Jul 16, 2021
[UWSL]My current PC is getting old (10(11?)year old 2600k with a 1070ti in a loud Antec 902 case) and I've been wanting a smaller PC that can handle regular web browsing and light gaming up to WoW for quite some time. Almost bought a M1 Mac Mini but just being a small box that can't do anything else made me hesitant to get it. Really don't want a laptop form with the fixed attached keyboard either. I was holding out hope that Apple would let you buy a version of the M1 iPad pro with MacOs on it but they are really adamant to keep that thing locked down with only the crappy iPadOS (have to keep profits from the appstore secure) so that was out. The Steam Deck really fills what I have been looking for and has the added benefit of being the form factor of a gaming handheld so I can easily travel and game with it on the go. Plus unlike Apple it's open! And x86 so compatible with a large amount of old games. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]This gives me that that small NUC pc that I have been wanting and a handheld gaming pc to boot. Only bad thing is I'm in Japan and we aren't allowed to buy it and who knows when it will be possible especially with the shipping times for US/Euro orders already slipping into the later periods of next year.[/UWSL]

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
What are you going to play first?

I'm thinking maybe Half Life 2 as a fitting intro. Or maybe Black Mesa.

Think it'll be a good Rimworld machine too.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher and lashman
OP
Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I really hope, and it seems to be the case, that the touch controls are good, so I can play Civ while sitting on the toilet!
I already thought about that use case, it is more complex than it seems at first glance :detectiveblob:
You have to remember to wipe early and not when you get up, several hours later

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Something that just came to mind: It would be cool if the Deck would lead to better cloud support, or maybe even Valve starting to enforce Cloud Saves (honestly wouldn't mind that with maybe special exceptions for the few games that have humonguous save files or the weird ones where the dev managed to create a save system that just doesn't work via the cloud (Hyper Light Drifter iirc, how tf do you even accomplish that?)).
If you're just playing on the same PC it usually won't affect you unless you do a clean reinstall and wonder where some saves are, but if you end up switching between the Deck and Desktop a lot, it might become a hassle.

Outside of those maybe 0.1% special cases, there's absolutely no reason at all to not offer cloud saves. The "basic" implementation doesn't even require changes to the game, it's literally just a setting in the backend where you just enter some paths you want synced and Steam does the rest.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Really, really hope that the release of the Deck indeed coincides with a bunch of ease of use improvements like that.

• This!

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
What are you going to play first?

I'm thinking maybe Half Life 2 as a fitting intro. Or maybe Black Mesa.

Think it'll be a good Rimworld machine too.
Probably something to test the device's graphical chops, maybe Horizon Zero Dawn? After that, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I have to uphold the tradition of buying new hardware and playing old-ass games on it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
It's surprising to me that Valve still hasn't done anything to implement cloud saves for older games (or just not supported games like some of the Souls games), I wonder if they have any plans for them for the Deck. I've mentioned crowdsourced cloud save locations before and it still seems like the easiest solution and wouldn't be the first thing they crowdsourced either.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It's surprising to me that Valve still hasn't done anything to implement cloud saves for older games (or just not supported games like some of the Souls games), I wonder if they have any plans for them for the Deck. I've mentioned crowdsourced cloud save locations before and it still seems like the easiest solution and wouldn't be the first thing they crowdsourced either.
the problem with this is that volvo DESPERATELY don't want to interfere in any of that stuff

we've already been through this with new library covers ... they said the same thing :(

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
They way I envisioned it, I'd say crowdsourced cloud saves wouldn't be interfering with "that stuff", they wouldn't mess with the game launch configs or any of the dev side things.
Just completely user facing, like guides, steaminput profiles, custom library art and whatever else.
Giving users the tools to define paths for cloud saves for games without any, and then if x number of people (or some other way to whitelist) use the same path it becomes default if the user has enabled the option.
🤷‍♂️

One way or another I think they'll find a solution because of the Deck. The whole point of going from your pc to handheld becomes moot if you can't trust that your saves are there when you switch over.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, they could just have someone go through the 1000 most popular games without cloud saves and enable them for the 998 for which that works without issues. Should take about a month for 2 people to do with pretty good testing.

But sadly that doesn't seem like a very Valve solution. And I'm sure some salty developer or publisher would find a reason to complain if they did it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I mean, they could just have someone go through the 1000 most popular games without cloud saves and enable them for the 998 for which that works without issues. Should take about a month for 2 people to do with pretty good testing.

But sadly that doesn't seem like a very Valve solution. And I'm sure some salty developer or publisher would find a reason to complain if they did it.
Part of me wishes for Valve to do this, just so I can laugh about someone defending their artistic right not to allow me to carry over saves to another PC.

• Toucan
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Which is exactly why a user facing tool would work better and be mostly hands-off from their end. :blobmorning2:

Also as an aside, I'm not sure what you would want Valve to even do about the missing covers. Author new ones themselves?
🖼 :artistblob:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Also as an aside, I'm not sure what you would want Valve to even do about the missing covers. Author new ones themselves?
🖼 :artistblob:
In an ideal, utopian universe, Valve would use AI generated covers for games that haven't updated it yet, featuring their emotive blobs that you see on the Store when something goes wrong.

• Toucan
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
no ... add steam workshop support for covers
Ah, well, yeah. That would have been rad. Was there an response from someone at Valve about that? I probably saw it back then but forgot. :blobweary:

Anyways, I still do think that they will approach cloud saves for all the games that don't currently have them in some manner. Cloud saves not being mandatory as is is kind of already an annoying situation, but now that they are making a product with a bulletpoint feature about your saves being there between your desktop pc and Deck, I feel like they kind of need to address it some way.
I'm actually surprised that no one has asked that so far, or if someone has, they haven't gotten an answer.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I'll be playing visual novels on my switch, Full Metal Daemon Muramasa first

sleepnaught

Jan 3, 2020
Replay all the Half-Life games and expansions in handheld. Then, get all the retro games I love and set up RetroArch. That said, I'm really excited about the possible feature of PC/Steam Deck cross suspend/resume. Might have heard wrong, but I'm pretty sure they said they were looking at being able to suspend a game on PC and resume on your Steam Deck exactly where you left off. That's a really useful feature that I would use a ton.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Might have heard wrong, but I'm pretty sure they said they were looking at being able to suspend a game on PC and resume on your Steam Deck exactly where you left off. That's a really useful feature that I would use a ton.
not quite ... it was about cloud saves mostly

the resume thing will be Deck-only (for now, at least)

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
They did state in one of those interviews they are working on suspend-game transfer from PC to dock or vice versa but it isn't currently available and there is no guarantee they can solve for it.

sleepnaught

Jan 3, 2020
They did state in one of those interviews they are working on suspend-game transfer from PC to dock or vice versa but it isn't currently available and there is no guarantee they can solve for it.
Yeah, I think it was the IGN reveal video. I hope they get it working.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Definitely plan on using this to play through many indie/VN/JRPG games I have on Steam...as well as for emulation. Also looking forward to just doing a bunch of testing with the hardware and Proton/Windows.

Very excited to get mine. :giggle:
Exactly my plans, it will be nice to have a device that I can work through my backlog.

Plus I have always wanted an excuse to dive more into Linux. With Win 11 around the corner, I considered trying Linux on my desktop. I am so tired of random issues with Win 10 updates. My biggest hang-ups are game compatibility. Having a gaming device with Linux and Proton will hopefully let me see how feasible something like that would be long term. I expect a lot of hiccups, especially with installing things outside of Steam, but I am hoping Proton will continue to iterate and relieve issues.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Like many here, I'm looking at the Steam Deck mostly as a convenient way to chop away at my less technically demanding Steam backlog, particularly the VN and JRPG sections. I've owned Trails in the Sky on Steam since 2015, but have still not managed to really sit down and seriously play through it for more than 20 minutes. Being able to play VNs in bed should also save me ungodly amounts of cash on Switch VN double dips.

The Steam Deck is honestly the most excited I've ever been for any game hardware, as it's the realization of something I've wanted forever: being able to play the games you own anywhere, single purchase, but with a "premium" experience while playing at home.

PlayStation had this back in the day with PSV "cross save", but support was limited and games that did support it required a double dip. Save data syncing was also iffy a lot of the time, and required PSPlus.

Switch got the "buy once, play anywhere" and "auto-sync save data" parts right, but was let down by the "home gaming" part being decidedly unimpressive.

With the Steam Deck, I'll have an enormous amount of content to play on day 1, and can tinker with the PC settings to get a playable framerate on more demanding games... or if a game's tech requirements prove too difficult to overcome on the dinky handheld, I just can just steamroll it on my home rig and call it a day. If this works as advertised, it'll be hard for me to justify buying games anywhere else but on PC.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
... and play that on the Deck with in-home streaming! :)
Exactly! I already do a lot of inhome streaming via Steam Link, so I'll likely be using that feature a lot.

My main thing is, if the Steam Deck pans out, buying a game off Steam will give me:
A) the PC build of the game, which is commonly the best performing/best looking version
B) the best performing native handheld version of the game (given Nintendo's presently deficient spec), which I can further customize to my liking
C) the ability to play A over in-home streaming anywhere in my house, albeit limited to 1080p

All of that, and my save presumably updates to the cloud anywhere I play? That is frankly incredible value. I'm just hoping that Gabe and co. don't mess up the implementation of the user-friendliness/QOL improvements this thing needs to make a good first impression as a pseudo "console", I'm optimistic they have it figured out.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Exactly! I already do a lot of inhome streaming via Steam Link, so I'll likely be using that feature a lot.

My main thing is, if the Steam Deck pans out, buying a game off Steam will give me:
A) the PC build of the game, which is commonly the best performing/best looking version
B) the best performing native handheld version of the game (given Nintendo's presently deficient spec), which I can further customize to my liking
C) the ability to play A over in-home streaming anywhere in my house, albeit limited to 1080p

All of that, and my save presumably updates to the cloud anywhere I play? That is frankly incredible value. I'm just hoping that Gabe and co. don't mess up the implementation of the user-friendliness/QOL improvements this thing needs to make a good first impression as a pseudo "console", I'm optimistic they have it figured out.
yeah, imagine that - not having to pay for the same game more than once .... or not having to pay for online :p

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
it's available on windows too ... but you have to set it up in the settings
Woooooooow. I can't believe I only found out about this now, lmao. Guess I never had Steam running simultaneously on my desktop and laptop for the notification to pop up and tell me I could do this. I assumed it required the Link app or something, which isn't on PC as such. But this makes so much more sense :fearful-face:

• Toucan

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Woooooooow. I can't believe I only found out about this now, lmao. Guess I never had Steam running simultaneously on my desktop and laptop for the notification to pop up and tell me I could do this.
looool :p you're welcome then, haha

Reactions: beep boop

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
looool :p you're welcome then, haha

When you pick another PC from that little dropdown box next to the play/install/connect button, it would perhaps be more obvious if it just said "connect" by default for games that aren't installed locally but are on that other PC -- or some other UI element to let you know that you could just stream it.

In any case, good stuff!

• Comfy