Discussion Steam Deck - What you gonna do ?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Exactly! I already do a lot of inhome streaming via Steam Link, so I'll likely be using that feature a lot.

My main thing is, if the Steam Deck pans out, buying a game off Steam will give me:
A) the PC build of the game, which is commonly the best performing/best looking version
B) the best performing native handheld version of the game (given Nintendo's presently deficient spec), which I can further customize to my liking
C) the ability to play A over in-home streaming anywhere in my house, albeit limited to 1080p

All of that, and my save presumably updates to the cloud anywhere I play? That is frankly incredible value. I'm just hoping that Gabe and co. don't mess up the implementation of the user-friendliness/QOL improvements this thing needs to make a good first impression as a pseudo "console", I'm optimistic they have it figured out.
Yep, the "one library everywhere you want" is the killer selling point.
I would never buy a Switch, not enough opportunities for gaming on the go and having to rebuy games and then basically having to play them on the Switch or playing them separately twice is just a losing proposition for me.

But already having the games and just seamlessly playing them on the Desktop or in bed, or wherever without additional costs or restrictions is where it's at.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
no ... add steam workshop support for covers
Funnily enough I made a mock-up for this in 2019 and sent it to them :blobeyes: :blobeyes: :blobeyes:
(no, it won't be implemented as one of them told me)

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Yep, the "one library everywhere you want" is the killer selling point.
I would never buy a Switch, not enough opportunities for gaming on the go and having to rebuy games and then basically having to play them on the Switch or playing them separately twice is just a losing proposition for me.

But already having the games and just seamlessly playing them on the Desktop or in bed, or wherever without additional costs or restrictions is where it's at.
Yup, being able to take your games wherever is a huge deal! Some games were just made to be played in a handheld format.

On my end, I'm a long-time handheld user, and have long been willing to pay a premium or tolerate dodgy performance just to be able to play stuff around the house or while on a trip. The Deck will (theoretically) allow me to reconcile the easygoing handheld-loving side of me with the nitpicky, performance-obsessed PC gaming side of me for a single price!