News Tencent's 'WeGame X' worldwide store/launcher is out now in early access, and it's already more features rich than EGS

Ryne

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2018
Our future current gaming lords.

Would this be Asia only or do they plan to spread out?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I've read they want to take it worldwide but have been keeping it low-key in Early Access for a time while they worked on it.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
This looks like a straight steam clone tbh.
Which isn't a bad thing.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
That's one hell of a stealth release.

A little PSA: If you open the installer, you can switch the Language by clicking the top right button with Simplified Chinese (I think) and select English.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So I looked at the English store, and there are a few Chinese RPGs I've never heard of that look interesting, which at least gives me hope that this could be a portal for me to play chinese developed games I wouldn't have access to. Checking out 'fps' only to have it be completely empty though, that was discouraging.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
So I looked at the English store, and there are a few Chinese RPGs I've never heard of that look interesting, which at least gives me hope that this could be a portal for me to play chinese developed games I wouldn't have access to. Checking out 'fps' only to have it be completely empty though, that was discouraging.
Well they don't list the supported languages on the page, so...
All the RPGs I see there are on Steam as well, excpet XuanYuan Sword 6, but judging from the store page description, that one has no english as well. Those that do not have an English translation on Steam probably don't have one here either, going by the store pages being in Chinese.... :/

StereoVSN

Apr 7, 2019
Are there forums or they just use WeChat integration?

Although personally there is no chance in hell I would use this particular store unless I used a VM or cloud service.

Edit: I am posting this from Huawei phone which is kind of ironic.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Game pages look just like Steam. Nice. Bringing Chinese made games to the rest of the world is certainly a nice initiative. If they're good. I've been noticing Chinese games more and more recently and it seems their industry is shaping up very nicely these days (while also having older gems we never got to play). Lots of shovelware too of course but that's every part of the industry for ya. Of course I won't be using it before it proves worthwhile (& safe).

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Apr 7, 2019
There are bunch of interesting Chinese RPGs on Steam that arent getting localized. Maybe with Tencent involved that will get rectified, albeit on their client vs Steam.

Reactions: Ascheroth

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Interesting... some really good games were developed in China. So I'm interested in seeing what gets added.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well they don't list the supported languages on the page, so...
All the RPGs I see there are on Steam as well, excpet XuanYuan Sword 6, but judging from the store page description, that one has no english as well. Those that do not have an English translation on Steam probably don't have one here either, going by the store pages being in Chinese.... :/
I didn't realize those games were on Steam already, so that's good to know. That being said, it's more the idea that future games that aren't already on other sites may show up here (and arent anime) that interests me about this store/client. Even if at the moment, everything appears to be in Manadrin on the store pages (im not on my home pc, so the client isnt an option - web store only), im hoping this will change as times goes on and more Chinese-developed games get released in the west.

Last edited:

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
yeah, it's insane, They are selling like 14 preorders and not a single one mentions the release date, despite just about every game already having one announced...
That is literally the first thing I look at once an upcoming game catches my eye. I want to know when the fuck I can play it.

Reactions: lashman

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
What's Tencent's goal with WeGame? Are they going to make games made in China available to the entire world? The demographic would only be the Chinese speaking people if they aren't going to support devs into localizing their games.

It would be nice to try some games from China

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
What's Tencent's goal with WeGame? Are they going to make games made in China available to the entire world? The demographic would only be the Chinese speaking people if they aren't going to support devs into localizing their games.

It would be nice to try some games from China
Looks like that, as well as providing Western games to Chinese audience. As you can see from the homepage, they're also partnering with some Western developers/publishers.

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
If they assist Chinese studios to bring games to the west, I am in. I'll take a look at the app when I return home.

Reactions: gabbo