Community The Emulation Thread - When That PC Port Just Ain't Happening

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Hey, you want to know what's one of my favorite things about PC Gaming? Emulation. Boy do I love emulation.

Some older games just haven't been ported to PC, or even newer consoles for that matter - stuck, on an older system, built without modern resolutions or framerates in mind. It's a great thing that emulators exist, or there's tons of games that would just be unplayable once every cart/disc holding the game and every console officially capable of playing them dies.

Everyone knows stuff like RetroArch, PCSX2, PPSSPP, and Dolphin. And, heck, you've probably heard of projects like RPCS3 and CXBX-Reloaded. But man, it's a really good time for fans of emulation - as both of those projects have recently made some huge progress,

Jet Set Radio Future is now fullspeed with only minor graphical glitches, on something as old as an i7 3770 - older i3s are probably good to go, too. RPCS3 has started not only emulating games fullspeed, but even unlocking the framerate and resolution caps for many titles, giving us something closer to an HD remaster that we may never get. And then, of course, there's CEMU - which is running basically every Wii U game worth playing at this point, and has a Vulkan renderer in the works so that AMD GPU users won't have to dualboot Linux just to get playable performance in games.

It's a great time to be into emulation! Anything you're waiting to be playable, Councilours?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Great thread, Theswweet. Maybe in this thread we can also discuss tips and tricks which otherwise would be lost in the deepest recesses of PCSX2 forum, for example.

Anything you're waiting to be playable, Councilours?
After playing Xenoblade 2 and going through the screenshots I took while playing it, it only makes sense that playing this game in Yuzu at 60fps is my dream. Imagine playing this in 1080p+ constant (not variable) resolution, 60fps and a draw distance farther than a hand in front of your face.

Last year I booted up Shin Megami Tensei IV in Citra and while it's somewhat playable, there's this massive frame drops every so often. And it's not my rig which was the issue. I'm not sure if there's a regression in their latest build, because I did get better performance using the RetroArch build instead, although not even that version is perfect. I'll give it another go this summer to see if things has improved since then.

I also would like to see PCSX2 as a RetroArch core, although last time I checked, there's a major technical difficulty in properly porting the code to utilise libretro API.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Speaking of "tips and tricks", there's apparently a patch for Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth on PS3 that inserts the Vita english script, that works on RPCS3. You won't find the patch on GBAtemp or anywhere like that, though - the person that did it literally just dropped it in the comments to a nicoblog page! Crazy stuff, but interesting to know that you could technically play Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth, in English, on PC.

Won't be linking, since the same page has a link to the ISO - but you could probably find it easy enough if you're interested.

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I should look into it because I'm going to read Uta2 next weekend anyway. Thanks for sharing!

To add into "tips and tricks" section, these sites has a bunch of information for modding Persona games.

These days you can probably download an "undub" ISO for the PS2 Personas, but back then I successfullly made my own thanks to these sites. I think the site owner was DMCA'd by Atlus (or their modding videos on Youtube to be exact).

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ive had an undub of legaia 2 for near 10 years now :wd_p:

Hope ps2 emulator gets some better improvements because a few games still require specific setrinfs to run like streer fighter ex3.

Otherwise using its msaa option can make a lot of games look nice and clean.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Sadly PCSX2 doesn't have a native per-game config capabilities. Part of the reason why I wanted it as a RetroArch core. I think there's a project called Spectabis which facilitates this, but I haven't look into it closely.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I wonder if Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is finally in a playable state.

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Tested UMVC3 via RPSC3 on my Nitro 5 and it stutters like crazy while the shaders are loading. I'll try again on my new rig once I get the Ethernet ready.

RetroArch is smooth as butter though.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Is there any way to get my Blu ray/DVD burner drive to read Xbox 1 discs???? I was excited to try Jet Set Radio Future for the first time in many years but.... of course, nothing.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Ooh nice. I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles in high resolution a few months ago. It looked so great! Highly recommend playing XBC this way. Enjoyed it a lot more than the sequel too.

Last edited:

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I started playing BOTW in Cemu last month. 60fps makes the game play so nicely. I had previously finished the game on the Switch when it was first released. My only worry is that I'll get so used to the 60fps, when the sequel comes out I won't be able to play it properly!

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Is there any way to get my Blu ray/DVD burner drive to read Xbox 1 discs???? I was excited to try Jet Set Radio Future for the first time in many years but.... of course, nothing.
Read as in for playing or read as in for ripping isos/etc? you might luck out out on reading for the latter if you happen to have the right drive. I know my drive can read ps3 discs for that purpose, might even do gc games, though ive never tried

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Read as in for playing or read as in for ripping isos/etc? you might luck out out on reading for the latter if you happen to have the right drive. I know my drive can read ps3 discs for that purpose, might even do gc games, though ive never tried
Read as in windows can view the contents of the disc at all. I went through an hour of installing the xbox emulator only to try to play from the disc and got screwed, then became aware of the issue and tried to see if I could even see any files and nothing.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018

Looks like it's getting there.
They managed to play it, that's already better than what I got. Praying for the day a 360 emulator can run the original NG2. An Xbone is good, but... I don't have one.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, between this thread and EVO, I’m eyeing a Mayflash F500.
But I’m not playing enough arcade, it could be just another dust aggregator.

Any advice for a good arcade stick for novice ? I need it to be fully PC compatible and hopefully modable if I catch the bug.

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm thinking of playing Xenosaga in the Spring. I just had a quick look at the Play! RetroArch core to check their progress, and it seems like they're not ready for the prime time yet.

Looks like it's PCSX2 again for me. Hopefully I can track down a .pnach file somewhere to enable 480p .

Reactions: teezzy

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
I just saw BSODGaming post some videos of Yuzu running in 8k. I’m veryyyyy much looking forward to when Fire Emblem is running well and at a high res.

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
I chuckled a bit at Yuzu compat. wiki entry for FE3H.

My S/O is playing it right now on Switch. The resolution is not great. I decided to check out videos to see how it emulates. Someone had a video up just about day of release.

It is very, very far from playable right now aha. That summary is accurate.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The resolution is not great.
It definitely has some kind of automatic resolution scaling, although not as egregious as Xenoblade 2, for example. There're some frame drops in the monastery as well, even when docked.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I started playing BOTW in Cemu last month. 60fps makes the game play so nicely. I had previously finished the game on the Switch when it was first released. My only worry is that I'll get so used to the 60fps, when the sequel comes out I won't be able to play it properly!
Yeah, I played the entirety (by which I mean >80 hours) of BotW in CEMU in 5k with 60 FPS and I have the same concern regarding the sequel. Hopefully Yuzu makes rapid progress.

Alo81

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I played the entirety (by which I mean >80 hours) of BotW in CEMU in 5k with 60 FPS and I have the same concern regarding the sequel. Hopefully Yuzu makes rapid progress.
I already support their Patreon, but i'll be curious to see how their Patreon pledges go once BotW 2 drops. I could imagine people putting a lot of money behind it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I already support their Patreon, but i'll be curious to see how their Patreon pledges go once BotW 2 drops. I could imagine people putting a lot of money behind it.
I'm expecting it will go much in the same way as cemu patreon went back then yeah. Though who knows when that Zelda sequel even comes out, all things considered it might be fully playable or close to it on release day. What I'm actually wondering is if Link's Awakening moves their patreon needle in a noticeable manner, that thing is much closer to release.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Wow, MGS4 booting and with pretty good performance. That's awesome.
I'm sure talented people will find smart ways to improve rendering. Especially since it's one of the flagship exclusives.
Thanks for posting lashman :photoblobheart:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
This news makes me check out the MGS HD collection progress too, and it seems that the game was able to start but still in unusable state.

Great progress though. I'm definitely considering joining their Patreon.

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I wish PCSX2 wasn't this frankenstein mess of a code.
I just can't live without QoL improvements Retroarch brings to the table. Instant resume due to auto savestate save/load, CRT filters that make the old games not look like ass on LCDs, pitch shifting so that games don't stutter on non-GSync displays (since no consoles pre-HDTV worked at an even 60 Hz), Retrobloodyachievements...

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Trying to setup Conker on N64 via RetroArch.

Do you guys know is it really that bad lag in this game even the FPS is constantly 60?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So what's the best way to play PS2 games nowadays ? PCSX2 ?