|OT| The 'I need a new phone' thread.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I see this thread inevitable pops out on every single forum I read so I might as well take the opportunity.

Right now I'm browsing for a new phone. Mine works perfectly, but since I want a company change and my current one (Mexican AT&T) is a pain in the ass to make them unlock the phone, I'd like to buy a new one.

My budget is $400, I've been eyeing thr Pixel 3A but I'm not sure if I should trust Google full on with it :p

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
If you're already considering a Xiaomi phone, you might want to wait until the Mi A3 gets released.

This phone series usually offers good specs and Android One at a rather low price. I would have bought the A2 last year but it didn't have NFC (which the A3 will probably have).

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I want to change my phone but I have not the slightest idea on where to start looking, I guess my budget is something less than $200 but that's it. Any pointers?

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I want to change my phone but I have not the slightest idea on where to start looking, I guess my budget is something less than $200 but that's it. Any pointers?
The Moto G6 or G7.

Reactions: Gevin
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I've also been eyeing the Samsung A70 but that's a bit more expensive ($500).

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I bought on a whim an Xiaomi max 2 I think (I wanted bigger screen for reading) for liek 200 bucks

Two years ago. This phone doesn't have NFC (who cares) and has lasted me the longest out of any of the phones I have tried. I even use it when I visit my family back in the states.

I saved a lot of money!

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I bought on a whim an Xiaomi max 2 I think (I wanted bigger screen for reading) for liek 200 bucks

Two years ago. This phone doesn't have NFC (who cares) and has lasted me the longest out of any of the phones I have tried. I even use it when I visit my family back in the states.

I saved a lot of money!
Apparently the MAX line got cancelled :c

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Related: I'll be visiting the States next week and that's when I intend to get the new phone, so far I've been convinced by the Moto G6 (unless someone convinces me the G7 is worth the price difference).

What's the best way to buy a new phone there? Should I just browse stuff on Amazon now and order it, or are physical stores good in prices over there too?

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Related: I'll be visiting the States next week and that's when I intend to get the new phone, so far I've been convinced by the Moto G6 (unless someone convinces me the G7 is worth the price difference).

What's the best way to buy a new phone there? Should I just browse stuff on Amazon now and order it, or are physical stores good in prices over there too?
Why yea buying in the states? Are phones unlocked there by default now?

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Not sure really but I'll be visiting next week and they cost half as much as they do here
Well last time I was in the states (born and raised) it was only cheaper due to being locked and contract (which actually costs you more in the end). Here in Taiwan phones are costlier, but unlocked by default.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Well last time I was in the states (born and raised) it was only cheaper due to being locked and contract (which actually costs you more in the end). Here in Taiwan phones are costlier, but unlocked by default.
Phones are usually more expensive in Latin America. For example, the most expensive iPhone here is $1500 USD.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Yet are you tired to one carrier or you can freely without having to do anything special?

BTW iPhone cost pretty much over a thousand here.

Though you can use it with any carrier here. Freely.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I just had a notice that i am eligible for an early upgrade from my Pixel 2 but to be honest there's nothing i want to upgrade to. My Pixel 2 is perfectly fine and i don't fancy spending £50-£60 a month for a Samsung or iPhone that i don't really need.

Is there a new Pixel out this year? I might wait for that or just go Sim Only for the first time in years and years until a phone comes out that i want.

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Okay, since I'm a fucking idiot, now I DO need a new phone. Managed to kill my Z2 display. I can't use it anymore.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Is this karma for liking anime?
Kind of. It is the Gods of Anime and the very Spirit of Anime calling out to you to get a new phone so that your anime experience is enriched.

Faster Phone + Better Screen + More Storage = MORE ANIME-PER-SECOND

The Maths don't lie.

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Dammit, I've complaining about RAW photography on Android and now Apple comes out with a RAW format that seems perfect for someone like me.
Dude the 12 Pro Max in Blue is fucking gorgeous. Too bad I'm broke

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'll briefly hijack this thread for my long and 100% unnecessary Pixel 5 impressions:

I decided to stop buying those 900€+ flagships.[UWSL][UWSL] I was thinking about a 4a 5G, but I was lucky and found a Pixel 5 during a weekend promotion for just over 530€ (-16% discount on everything on a mayor electronics online store over here). Unable to resist the promotion I impulse purchased the phone. To my very surprise the phone arrived about one week later. I'm using it now for four days.[/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL] I[/UWSL][/UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]'ve never owned a Pixel phone before, bought Samsung for 80% of the time. I'm not following Phone news and only read up once I need something new.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL] [/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]First let's start with the things I do not like: The Negatives[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]Speakers are bad, especially at high volumes. If you want half acceptable sound quality, you need to turn them down to ~60%. Pixel 5 speakers are usable, but I wouldn't want to listen to music on them for longer periods of time. [/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]Auto brightness is aggressive. I was correcting it all the time and even turned it off today. I'm half sure this will be fixed in an update.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]Max brightness on my (now defect) S10 was better and altogether it had the nicer looking display (when not in motion!). That said the Pixel 5 is good, the colors are more natural and pleasing. I'm just noticing the difference in resolution.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Now let's talk about what I love: The Positives[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]While talking about the Display: 60Hz vs 90Hz make more of a difference than I thought. After four days on the pixel 5, picking up a phone with 60Hz and scrolling suddenly feels stuttery. (Every PC gamer in here is now shocked, I know)[/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]Battery time is incredible compared to my old S10 (Exynos edition). For the first time, in a long time, I stopped worrying if a phone will carry me through the day. There are days when I'm extensively using my phone and the Pixel 5 powers through that. Awesome![/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]The camera is good, though I have the feeling like it needs particularly good, bright light to be excellent. No matter what: It's a significant upgrade over the s10. People were complaining about a long processing time. I do not perceive it as long though; it's not bothering or even in the slightest annoying. :shrugblob:[/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]I like the fingerprint scanner on the back. But I'm one of those people holding the old LG G2 in high regards. The home and volume buttons were on the back there. [/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]It's so small and comfortable to hold. Everything feels fast and snappy. Awesome![/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]The Wifi on the Smartphone is fast. [/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]Stock Android 11 is pure joy to use. This paragraph would deserve its own thread, but I'll try to make it simple.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
    • [UWSL][UWSL]I love the new gestures, instead of the "three buttons" approach that Samsung is still holding on to. Though I had trouble adapting for the first day.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
    • [UWSL][UWSL]I love the new notification bar. It's finally organized and works! The music player integration and the ability to change streaming devices on a wimp is genius.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
    • [UWSL][UWSL]Connecting something through Bluetooth, Wifi scanning, even my bank authentication app is significantly faster. Despite being on a weaker CPU. Less OS bloat?[/UWSL][/UWSL]
    • [UWSL][UWSL]Short: It's simplistic, never stands in my way, it's comfortable to use and as snappy as it gets. 10/10 for android 11.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]A couple of neutral things: [/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]I miss Bixby as my wake-up morning call. Waking up to a smooth tone, with a friendly voice greeting me and reading the news was good. Yes, there are google routines, but it's just not as smooth and pleasant. [/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]I miss the quality and variety of cases made by Samsung. They are overexpansive but good, better than any third party offering in my experience. So far, I have found nothing that feels good to hold. I'm sure Google's fabric cover is good too, but I'm also sure it would be moist and dirty the way I use my smartphone. Maybe somebody has a recommendation for a case that feels good to hold and isn't ultra-thick?[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Things I have not tested:[/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL]Gaming. I don't play games on my smartphones. [/UWSL][/UWSL]
  • [UWSL][UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]Conclusion (tl/dr):[/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL]For 530€? I love it: It's a good, powerful, small, comfortable phone with excellent features, awesome battery durability and great software. Feels like a steal for that price.[/UWSL][/UWSL]

[UWSL][UWSL]This is still no unreserved recommendation: Speakers aren't good enough for that. If you are listening to music on your phone, without external speakers, smart speakers, Bluetooth devices or headphones. You should look elsewhere. It's a bit sad because the pixel 5 is so close to being a perfect recommendation. Especially once more promotions and black Friday deals start.[/UWSL][/UWSL]
[UWSL][UWSL]But for me? Nearly perfect device. Keep that strategy up Google. Quality, price, battery-life, and a comfortable, good, open, snappy OS over shiny specifications![/UWSL][/UWSL]

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You should discuss this topic in the correct thread !

:sorryblob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I went back to iPhone, I got the 12 mini and I love it! Got it through a phone plan so didn't have to sell my butt on the street.
Doesn’t this plan murder your monthly budget ? I’m asking because each time I check Orange plans the discount is either ridiculous or the plan super pricey.
I mean I already pay 50 euros or so for Internet, Phone, Mobile Phone. I really can’t consider adding 30 or more each month.

And yah, for all the hate I have for Apple ecosystem, their stance on privacy is cool. If they weren’t that pricey...

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I went back to iPhone, I got the 12 mini and I love it! Got it through a phone plan so didn't have to sell my butt on the street.
I will upgrade my iPhone soon, I have a XR which still works good but an upgrade wouldn't be bad.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How many kidneys have you people ? :tightly-closed-eyes:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Li Kao Its only 20 euro plus per month, but I have pretty much stopped buying steam bucks which I usually spent 20 euro on each month. Having a xbox and game pass does make me stop buying new games.

NarohDethan Last iPhone I had before this one was the iPhone 6, so feels great to be back. Also my favorite iPhone is 4 and the 12 mini is pretty much that!

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Li Kao Its only 20 euro plus per month, but I have pretty much stopped buying steam bucks which I usually spent 20 euro on each month. Having a xbox and game pass does make me stop buying new games.

NarohDethan Last iPhone I had before this one was the iPhone 6, so feels great to be back. Also my favorite iPhone is 4 and the 12 mini is pretty much that!
iOS are great. 'It just works!' but like for real.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So I got tired that lightning and type c connections suck so much on phones when it comes to listening to music that I caved in and bought AirPods and I'm actually surprised just how well they work. I actually love them and that I didn't think I would, I just got them so I could exercise without having to get out the phone to press play every time the cable moves.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
So I got tired that lightning and type c connections suck so much on phones when it comes to listening to music that I caved in and bought AirPods and I'm actually surprised just how well they work. I actually love them and that I didn't think I would, I just got them so I could exercise without having to get out the phone to press play every time the cable moves.
Did you see that Discord will be preventing iOS users from using NSFW servers? fuck that!