|OT| The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero / 英雄伝説 零の軌跡 / Geofront's Localisation Patch | Gotten Over The Barrier! | v1.0.1 Out Now!

tetel

Jan 7, 2020
I managed to reach chapter 4 yesterday, game shows something over 40 hours so the real time is probably around 30. Kinda regretting not playing on nightmare, the game is easier than I was expecting and I'm far from being good at series' mechanics. The only fights I found problematic were:
Wald
That Geofront sidequest with KeA in the lineup

Also don't know how long is the game, hopefully I'm only halfway in so I don't have to think what I'm gonna do about Ao as long as possible.

OP
Kvik

Kvik

Play Trails from Zero — Councillor's Orders!
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm liking Lloyd less and less, with everyone's throwing themselves at him for no reason, it's just Rean 1.0 and that's a huge factor putting me off Cold Steel until now.
I don't think that's the fault of Lloyd's own character, though. While Rean being a "harem protagonist" is in itself a meme at this point, I don't think that's accurate either. While I can't speak for CS III & IV, not all bonding events in CS I& II carry romantic connotations, and we can have Rean not to have a romantic interest at all. I'll have to see how Lloyd's character will grow as the game progresses, but I still feel the notion of "female characters throwing affection toward the protagonist for no good reason" is a misconception at best and merely a surface-level examination of what their character is all about.
Also don't know how long is the game, hopefully I'm only halfway in so I don't have to think what I'm gonna do about Ao as long as possible.
Some folks in our Discord said about ~50 hours, but I'm not sure if they talked to every NPC after every story event like I do. Chances are it'll be an 80-hours game like Trails FC for me.

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I don't think that's the fault of Lloyd's own character, though. While Rean being a "harem protagonist" is in itself a meme at this point, I don't think that's accurate either. While I can't speak for CS III & IV, not all bonding events in CS I& II carry romantic connotations, and we can have Rean not to have a romantic interest at all. I'll have to see how Lloyd's character will grow as the game progresses, but I still feel the notion of "female characters throwing affection toward the protagonist for no good reason" is a misconception at best and merely a surface-level examination of what their character is all about.
Indeed, it's not his fault. He is the usual dense fella that gets all the attention. Which is much worse than just being a player (odd that it never happens in JRPGs, maybe Kiryu? Dude might have love interests but he also openly fools around)... it's that shonen wish fulfillment for a pseudo self insert character that I REALLY dislike.
Not that it's the end of the world, but it's bad.

Also replaying old games, it certainly isn't new. When I replayed Grandia it was just that: the dumbass hero that everyone loves, with everything happening exactly as needed to make him look good.

But it sucks a lot in Zero No Kiseki because... Randy is supposed to be the womanizer. Except he totally isn't and has a hell of a lot less romantic lines than Lloyd, because he's not the self insert main guy.
The increasing focus on one member of the team is pretty noticeable in the franchise.