|OT| The official Marvel Cinematic Universe thread!

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Thanks Monooboe for adding the trailers and info!

PHASE 1

PHASE 2

PHASE 3

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm a sucker for MCU! I love it. While I might not be the biggest fan of every individual movie, but as a whole I love it.

Can't wait for Endgame, but I'm little worried about loosing the old guard. It's that same feeling whenever the Doctor regenerates, you are worried it won't be as good.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I remember reading Iron Man's Demon in a Bottle story arc and being absolutely floored by the fact that the hero was a depressed alcoholic. The Iron Man movie was a dream come true for me but what came after, this whole cinematic universe, I never ever expected to happen in my lifetime. To be honest I am still shocked that the heroes of my childhood have managed to resonate so much with audiences worldwide. If I could go back in time and tell my child self than someday people would flock to the theaters to watch the Infinity Saga, he would never believe me. Yet here we are!

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I love the MCU! I have all the movies on Blu Ray (4k for those that have it), all the art books (except Thor Ragnarok, because I can't find it at a reasonable price ç_ç) and I even have some 1:4 and 1:10 statues.

Can't wait for April 24th!

Reactions: Alexandros

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Do you think the hype level for this is too high and expectations are on a unreachable level?
11 years of build up needs a very special ending. I'm a bit nervous, totally hyped and cautious at once.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Do you think the hype level for this is too high and expectations are on a unreachable level?
11 years of build up needs a very special ending. I'm a bit nervous, totally hyped and cautious at once.
Honestly, at this point... I believe. I was incredibly excited for Infinity War before release and that movie surpassed my expectations to such a degree that it floored me. It is unbelievable how the writers and directors of IW pulled this whole thing off. So yeah, there's a chance that Endgame disappoints but I really don't think that it will.

Reactions: ISee and Milena

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
It might not end up being the best movie ever in the MCU, but at this point I don't really think that they can disappoint me.

My least favourite MCU movies are still Iron Man 2 and Thor The Dark World (well, and Hulk, if it counts). I've enjoyed everything else :steam_pig_grinning:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
List time because why not:

God tier - Thor Ragnarock, Dr. Strange, First Captain America, Iron Man, Guardians 1
Good Tier - Avengers, Thor 1, Antman, Infinity War, Black Panther, Spider Man, the proper Eric Bana Hulk
Meh Tier - Guardians 2, Iron Man 2, Antman 2, Captain Marvel, Iron Man 3
Overated Tier - Winter Soldier, Civil War
Die in a fire Tier - Incredible Hulk, Thor 2 The Dark World, Ultron

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
OK, let's do this!

Surpassed all expectations- Infinity War, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Guardians 1

Great movies- Iron Man, Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther

Good movies- Thor, Cap First Avenger, Civil War, Ant-Man, Spider-man

Eh, OK I guess- Dr Strange, Ant-Man and Wasp

Fun on rewatch- Iron Man 2

Disappointments- Hulk, Iron Man 3, Thor TDW, Age of Ultron, Guardians 2

I don't think that the MCU has produced an actually bad movie. Even the movies that disappointed me have a lot of great things in them.

Reactions: ISee and Milena

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Ok, not in any particolar order in each category!

Favourites: Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Avengers Infinity War, Thor Ragnarok
Love them: Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Captain America Civil War
Really like them: Captain America Winter Soldier, Captain America First Avenger, Spider-Man Homecoming, Iron Man, Doctor Strange
Like them: Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Thor, Avengers Age of Ultron
Meh: Iron Man 2, Thor the Dark World, Hulk

Reactions: Alexandros and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Okay let's do this

My favorites:
  • Iron Man 1
  • Cpt. America: Winter soldier
  • Ant-Man
  • GotG 1
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers 1
Good:
  • Cpt. America: First Avenger
  • Ant-Man 2
  • Doc Strange
  • Civil War
  • Spiderman: Homecoming

Watchable, but didn't blow me away:
  • Ironman 3
  • Age of Ultron
  • GotG 2
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor:Ragnarok
Meh:
  • Ironman 2
  • Thor The Dark world
Bad:
  • The first Hulk that Marvel doesn't even acknowledge

Still unwatched / List of shame:

Black Panther (this weekend)
Captain Marvel (next week)

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Yeah, for me The Winter Soldier was incredible. The final battle was a bit much, I would have preferred a smaller scale (Civil War did that perfectly a few years later) but the rest of it was great.

Reactions: Milena and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
WS was good, the "hail hydra scene" still goosebumps me.

The interesting part about Civil War was that those super heroes weren't defeated by an almighty enemy in direct combat, but by a dedicated, ruthless but normal human. Granted not the best story out there, but I appreciated the change.

Reactions: Milena
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
WS was good, the "hail hydra scene" still goosebumps me.

The interesting part about Civil War was that those super heroes weren't defeated by an almighty enemy in direct combat, but by a dedicated, ruthless but normal human. Granted not the best story out there, but I appreciated the change.
That part was indeed cool and I would have loved to see it in a separate movie but I feel that the Zemo subplot was kind of pointless in Civil War. It seemed to me more like a somewhat contrived way to include Bucky in the movie, even though the Civil War concept could have worked just fine without it.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
(Alexandros you could at least add a cover to the thread ... since it's an OT and all ... to make it just a little bit prettier and "officialler", lol)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
PHASE 1

PHASE 2

PHASE 3

Reactions: Firewithin and ISee
OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Done, thanks Monooboe !
By the way, I didn't rate Captain Marvel in my ranking because I haven't watched it yet. The only MCU films I watched in theaters are Iron Man, Avengers and Infinity War. I don't much care for the theater experience.

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I'll be going a few days after the premier. Thankfully I don't care about spoilers!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I will be going one week after launch or so. But I'll go dark after the premier, really don't want to be spoiled for this one. They'll defeat Thanos and most Avengers will come back but I'm also sure that some of them will die for good. I want to go in as blind as possible.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Don't get me wrong, Winter Soldier isn't terrible it's just a let down. It starts off as this genre-bending conspiracy thriller but descends into over the top action at the end betraying it's initial concept. Also the Winter Soldier is a boring character and my best friend has been brainwashed? Meh... I hope the upcoming Black Widow movie is full on spy thriller, like that Jennifer Lawrence movie Red Sparrow, just not terrible.

Civil War is just bloatware, could have easily cut 30mins out of it. Infinity War probably suffers from the same but the scale and stakes save it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm getting hyped! I just saw the first trailer and now trying to just not watch anything more.

By the way, can't you remove the quote things from the op so it's just a regular post and should show like in my post?

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I'm getting hyped! I just saw the first trailer and now trying to just not watch anything more.

By the way, can't you remove the quote things from the op so it's just a regular post and should show like in my post?
I can but you deserve all the credit so I won't!

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Gonna watch endgame on thursday next week.
My speculation for the movie
the gems displaced people in time hence why antman showed up.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I probably won't be able to watch it next week. I wasn't fast enough and the cinema was completely sold out; I never saw anything like that here, 2 weeks in advance with no options to pre-order, but just to buy tickets... unprecedented.

I guess I'll watch it the following week :disappointed-face:

OP
Alexandros

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Just a heads up, there are actual legit spoilers out there since 4 minutes of footage leaked. I watched it and it's great but there are various scenes from some pretty important plot points.