|OT| The PC Hardware Thread -- Buy/Upgrade/Ask/Answer

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
The only thing wrong with that card is, that you can get ~20% more performance for $50 in form of the 5700XT or 2060S.
5700 seems to be at least as fast as the vega64, often enough even faster.
Reminds me a bit of the old gtx 970, from a price/performance pov.

Edit
JMTHEFOX
The partlist is private...
Oh, I forgot to make it public! So sorry about that!

Here is the partlist for now:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox NR400 (w/ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($54.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Monoprice)
Monitor: MSI - Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($184.30 @ Walmart)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse ($29.93 @ Amazon)
Total: $1193.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-13 17:38 EDT-0400

Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Oh, I forgot to make it public! So sorry about that!

Here is the partlist for now:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 Pro 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 5700 8 GB Video Card ($349.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox NR400 (w/ODD) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($54.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Monoprice)
Monitor: MSI - Optix G24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($184.30 @ Walmart)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G600 MMO Gaming Mouse Wired Laser Mouse ($29.93 @ Amazon)
Total: $1193.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-13 17:38 EDT-0400
That's a sweet, fast fullHD build.

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
That's a sweet, fast fullHD build.
Thanks. I was thinking about getting some of the parts from Amazon on Prime day tomorrow, but maybe I will hold off from doing that because of the upcoming strike which concerns me somewhat. :(

Maybe I will either buy them Wednesday after the strike or look for the parts elsewhere during the strike.

And after the build is complete I am looking to add RGB fans to make it cooler for the lols (or make it "cooler", pun intended). And in the future, update my Elite 103 build with new parts.

Reactions: Kvik

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Thanks! The NZXT H500 case is a bit of a bear to get cables organized but I did pretty well after a few redos 😸

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Thanks. I was thinking about getting some of the parts from Amazon on Prime day tomorrow, but maybe I will hold off from doing that because of the upcoming strike which concerns me somewhat. :(

Maybe I will either buy them Wednesday after the strike or look for the parts elsewhere during the strike.

And after the build is complete I am looking to add RGB fans to make it cooler for the lols (or make it "cooler", pun intended). And in the future, update my Elite 103 build with new parts.
You know what, I'm in: No Amazon Prime Day shopping for me either. They treat their warehouse workforce even worse than publishers treat their developers.

That said, I have my new ryzen 3000 CPU on order there. So I can't promise I won't check my shipping status once or twice. But maybe I should reduce my amazon shopping habits independent of prime day.

For the RGB fans: If it makes you happy ;) I have the most mixed and match looking build ever. I don't even have a glas panel. Instead it's a metallic one, with a 140mm fan pulling air directly on top of the GPU. Three fans are pulling air out (two top, one in the back) and an additional two 200mm are pulling air in from the front. Everything else is sound damped. It's cool and not loud. I like it.

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
You know what, I'm in: No Amazon Prime Day shopping for me either. They treat their warehouse workforce even worse than publishers treat their developers.

That said, I have my new ryzen 3000 CPU on order there. So I can't promise I won't check my shipping status once or twice. But maybe I should reduce my amazon shopping habits independent of prime day.

For the RGB fans: If it makes you happy ;) I have the most mixed and match looking build ever. I don't even have a glas panel. Instead it's a metallic one, with a 140mm fan pulling air directly on top of the GPU. Three fans are pulling air out (two top, one in the back) and an additional two 200mm are pulling air in from the front. Everything else is sound damped. It's cool and not loud. I like it.
I respect your decision to not purchase anything from Amazon during the strike. Are there any Union friendly sites where I can buy the parts in the meantime?

Anyway, how are cooler Master's rgb case fans? I am interested in buying those.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Newegg is going to be doing their own big sale today at 12p Pacific and seems like they are matching Amazon's pricing on a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and JMTHEFOX

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
damaged or are you sending them into retirement?
Well, they are Seagate barracudas. Of course they are damaged. Inherently so.
(Fuck them, I've lost a lot of data to 2 of those and they had series of drives with a near 100% failure rate)

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Well, they are Seagate barracudas. Of course they are damaged. Inherently so.
(Fuck them, I've lost a lot of data to 2 of those and they had series of drives with a near 100% failure rate)
Are they that bad?
I remember having a barracuda as my main game drive for my q9550 back in the days. It worked fine for like 5 years to I replaced it with a SSD...

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Check the warranty on those segates. We had one go bad at work, managed to get replacement drive. No cost for us to do so.

But then you are stuck with another Seagate! Cut your losses!
Are they that bad?
I remember having a barracuda as my main game drive for my q9550 back in the days. It worked fine for like 5 years to I replaced it with a SSD...
Yeah they are that bad. There are better and worse drives in the barracuda series but a few series where 100% terrible. One of the first in the series just died and had a very very widespread failure rate. Also the 1.5 and the 3 tb model. Personally I had iirc 4 of them dying on me. I bought them back then because they where cheap and after the first disaster I assumed they would have learned; I assumed wrong. There are studies out there that prove it and sometimes Seagate even admitted that there where problems and tried to fix with firmware updates but iirc that never solved the issue completely, because they where just shit drives!

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
That 2 tb drive looks to be dated 2013, so I guess they are getting up there in age too.
Even if the drives haven't failed, at some point you gotta move up from 1 and 2 tb drives.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
But then you are stuck with another Seagate! Cut your losses!

Yeah they are that bad. There are better and worse drives in the barracuda series but a few series where 100% terrible. One of the first in the series just died and had a very very widespread failure rate. Also the 1.5 and the 3 tb model. Personally I had iirc 4 of them dying on me. I bought them back then because they where cheap and after the first disaster I assumed they would have learned; I assumed wrong. There are studies out there that prove it and sometimes Seagate even admitted that there where problems and tried to fix with firmware updates but iirc that never solved the issue completely, because they where just shit drives!
Yes you are stuck. Free burner/test/bullshit with HDD tho. Always nice to have.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Actually, that 2 GB drive died in 2015 and the 1 TB in 2016 or 2017, I just never bothered discarding them. Even if those were still under warranty I'm not in USA or a supported country so RMA was never an option.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Actually, that 2 GB drive died in 2015 and the 1 TB in 2016 or 2017, I just never bothered discarding them. Even if those were still under warranty I'm not in USA or a supported country so RMA was never an option.
:( The 1tb died young too. I lucked out with my only segate, 1tb bought in 2009, retired functional but uneeded in 2014.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I'm looking at getting a new gaming monitor. Would prefer 1440p, 120hz+, IPS and Gsync-compatible (not Gsync only). Is there anything good in the $500 and under range that someone could recommend?

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Oh the sweet whispers of hardware, how they tempt me.
I really want to upgrade my i7-6700K but not sure if that's a good idea or not.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm looking at getting a new gaming monitor. Would prefer 1440p, 120hz+, IPS and Gsync-compatible (not Gsync only). Is there anything good in the $500 and under range that someone could recommend?
If I had to buy new today and 2560x1440 was my target I'd probably take the Gigabyte AD27QD or the LG 27GL850-B. Just a warning, they are HDR branded but don't expect that to be good.

Oh the sweet whispers of hardware, how they tempt me.
I really want to upgrade my i7-6700K but not sure if that's a good idea or not.
Depends a bit on your GPU, resolution, desired frame rate and the games that you're playing.
Are you running into problems or do you just want to upgrade?

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018
Depends a bit on your GPU, resolution, desired frame rate and the games that you're playing.
Are you running into problems or do you just want to upgrade?
I can't even remember the last time I've played anything on my PC outside VRChat
But I'm aiming for 4K60 when I do, got RTX 2070. Next games I'll most likely play are Code Vein and Doom Eternal, maybe some Monster Hunter World.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I can't even remember the last time I've played anything on my PC outside VRChat
But I'm aiming for 4K60 when I do, got RTX 2070. Next games I'll most likely play are Code Vein and Doom Eternal, maybe some Monster Hunter World.
Based on Doom 2015 performance, Doom eternal might be possible at 4k/60. Both on your CPU and GPU. I'm rather optimistic here.
Code Vein? No way to tell.
Monster Hunter World is a pretty demanding game, both from a CPU and GPU perspective.

But in general: 4k/60 is still a steep goal to reach and you really want a more powerful GPU for that.

What's your budget?

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
If I had to buy new today and 2560x1440 was my target I'd probably take the Gigabyte AD27QD or the LG 27GL850-B. Just a warning, they are HDR branded but don't expect that to be good.
Thanks I will check those out! I'm not too worried about HDR as it seems like it is still kind of a mess on PC in general.

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018
Based on Doom 2015 performance, Doom eternal might be possible at 4k/60. Both on your CPU and GPU. I'm rather optimistic here.
Code Vein? No way to tell.
Monster Hunter World is a pretty demanding game, both from a CPU and GPU perspective.

But in general: 4k/60 is still a steep goal to reach and you really want a more powerful GPU for that.

What's your budget?
Around 500€, so I was thinking Ryzen 7 and B450 Motherboard.
I guess I should endure and wait for next years offerings.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Around 500€, so I was thinking Ryzen 7 and B450 Motherboard.
I guess I should endure and wait for next years offerings.
For b450 boards I'r recommend taking a look at this google spreadsheet.

Pick something with "BIOSflashback w/o CPU" and a descent VRM, but to be fair: most stuff should be able to run a 3700x. Especially with some kind of case airflow. MSI seems to have the best offerings, but their b450 boards only have 16mb eeprom flash chips. Which is small, but not the worst problem in the world. Still, MSI had to cut down the original Bios a bit and kick out old APU support from it. Just something that people should be made aware off, before buying imo.

The r7 3700x is a good choice. I've looked at some benchmarks and the 3700x is ~20% faster in games than the 7700k, on average. Add the bonus of 4 additional cores, and more stable frame times and you have a worthwhile improvement imo.
Even games that highly favor Intel, like Far Cry New Dawn, are at least as fast on the 3700x as on the 7700k. Not bad for the worst case scenario and I'm pretty sure the situation will only improve in the coming years.

BTW, Monster Hunter seems to favor the new ryzen 3000 design. It's one of the few games were the 3900x is able to pull off the same performance as a 9900k running at 5GHz. The 3700x will probably not be as fast, but still a good choice for that game.
In general 3900x and 9900k are about 5% apart on average and the 3700x and 9700k have, probably, a similar performance delta.

Should you upgrade or wait? Well, only you can answer that. In general high cpu load, paired with GPU load staying under 95%, stutters and/or fps dropping under 60fps is a good indication that it's time for a new CPU. But that only makes sense if you are going to use your PC in the first place.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
What is a good VRM? It's all greek to me.
Seems like my relatively cheap asrock board is good for all the new Ryzens on stock speeds. Which is usually fine by me.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What is a good VRM? It's all greek to me.
Seems like my relatively cheap asrock board is good for all the new Ryzens on stock speeds. Which is usually fine by me.
Whatever is able to deliver enough power to the CPU without overheating. There are many components and ways to build a VRM, there is no "look for those parts". Heatsink design also plays an important role here and enough Airflow can make nearly everything work...
It's complicated, I mostly rely on the work of more intelligent people to compile lists and reviews...

Take a look at the spreadsheet. The Asus b450m-A and -k will need airflow over the VRM heatsink to drive the 3700x, while the MSI b450 will probably even run the 3900x without the CPU having to throttle, because the VRM is overheating.

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
After 8 years of owning my (two) Dell U23HM monitors, I have finally made the upgrade to 144 Hz, bigger resolution and GSync: I ordered a Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz. It was dicounted by more than 200 € last night on Amazon, so I just had to buy it (I am so sorry, striking Amazon Warehouse workers, it was the only thing I bought on Prime Day...).

Which means I finally have to upgrade from my 3570k as well. Luckily, AMD just released new CPU's and word is they are good!

Kuro

Dec 22, 2018
For b450 boards I'r recommend taking a look at this google spreadsheet.

Pick something with "BIOSflashback w/o CPU" and a descent VRM, but to be fair: most stuff should be able to run a 3700x. Especially with some kind of case airflow. MSI seems to have the best offerings, but their b450 boards only have 16mb eeprom flash chips. Which is small, but not the worst problem in the world. Still, MSI had to cut down the original Bios a bit and kick out old APU support from it. Just something that people should be made aware off, before buying imo.

The r7 3700x is a good choice. I've looked at some benchmarks and the 3700x is ~20% faster in games than the 7700k, on average. Add the bonus of 4 additional cores, and more stable frame times and you have a worthwhile improvement imo.
Even games that highly favor Intel, like Far Cry New Dawn, are at least as fast on the 3700x as on the 7700k. Not bad for the worst case scenario and I'm pretty sure the situation will only improve in the coming years.

BTW, Monster Hunter seems to favor the new ryzen 3000 design. It's one of the few games were the 3900x is able to pull off the same performance as a 9900k running at 5GHz. The 3700x will probably not be as fast, but still a good choice for that game.
In general 3900x and 9900k are about 5% apart on average and the 3700x and 9700k have, probably, a similar performance delta.

Should you upgrade or wait? Well, only you can answer that. In general high cpu load, paired with GPU load staying under 95%, stutters and/or fps dropping under 60fps is a good indication that it's time for a new CPU. But that only makes sense if you are going to use your PC in the first place.
Motherboard I had my eyes on is: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.
Seems like a deluxe deal, cheaper than any X570 while offering great feature set, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Fifteen BD-R's turned into coasters, each one with a different error code at different parts of the disc. It was the damn SATA data cable.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Getting sick of having very little space, what should I get? HDD/SSD here are like 20+ more then in the states. I want a large storage space, will put some games on there. Mostly for storing all my precious (junk) stuff.

Recommendations?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Getting sick of having very little space, what should I get? HDD/SSD here are like 20+ more then in the states. I want a large storage space, will put some games on there. Mostly for storing all my precious (junk) stuff.

Recommendations?
whatever you do - DON'T buy seagate

i'd just get a 6-8TB WD for storage

Reactions: JMTHEFOX and SRossi

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
How much are those? They are practically 200$ here. Though to be fair..I haven't bought a new storage device in at least 9 years.
yeah, that's more or less the price they're going for ... if that's too much for you - maybe try getting a 4TB one?

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Just got my Corsair K55 keyboard and my Eclipse 350X case. One of the HDD trays were bent unfortunately, but I will deal with it in the meantime. :\
The Corsair K55 also feels really good to type. I'm currently trying it out on my laptop and feels good so far.

Recommendations?
WD Blues are the shit. My current builds have 1 each and kicked ass.

Samsung 860 EVOs are great SSDs, but Crucial's SSDs are good too. SanDisk's are decent.

Avoid Seagate's SSHD (Hybrid) drives though, they're not as fast as SSDs.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I have been stuck on a micron and intel SSD lol...each like 250gb...(this excluding os ssd drive which is way smaller). Its frustrating.

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
There's currently a rumor that the new B450 Tomahawk Max by MSI is going to be on stock this week.

If this is true, that would be awesome. I also heard on a Livestream that the MAX motherboards might come mid August.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Hot damn, a B450 Tomahawk MAX just got shipped to Singapore

Hopefully, it won't take long for the units to come to NA/EU this week

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Too bad high end X470's doesn't seem to be getting rebrand. Will probably get X570 Strix E-gaming seems to be best compromise between features and not being insanely expensive.

It's kinda silly how so many x570 mobos, while expensive have insanely stupid design flaws, like X570 taichi that you can't plug in USB-C front connector with GPU installed. (unless your case has angled connector)

Anyways current upgrade plan:

AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 499€
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard Socket AM4 (Ryzen 3000 Compatible) ATX PCIe 4.0 DDR4 2.5G LAN USB 3.2 Aura Sync ~ 348€
Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K16G4D32AESB 32GB (16GB x2) Memory Kit (DDR4, 3200MT / s, PC4-25600, CL16, Dual Rank x8, DIMM, 288-Pin) ~ 151€
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Black Tower Case - Black ~135€
Seasonic 850W FOCUS+ 850 Platinum ~150€
Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus ~220€
NOCTUA NH-D15 ~85€

so 1500€ ish without GPU. (depending on stock, just about everything seems to be out of stock).

Reactions: ISee and JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Too bad high end X470's doesn't seem to be getting rebrand. Will probably get X570 Strix E-gaming seems to be best compromise between features and not being insanely expensive.

It's kinda silly how so many x570 mobos, while expensive have insanely stupid design flaws, like X570 taichi that you can't plug in USB-C front connector with GPU installed. (unless your case has angled connector)

AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 499€
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard Socket AM4 (Ryzen 3000 Compatible) ATX PCIe 4.0 DDR4 2.5G LAN USB 3.2 Aura Sync ~ 348€
Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K16G4D32AESB 32GB (16GB x2) Memory Kit (DDR4, 3200MT / s, PC4-25600, CL16, Dual Rank x8, DIMM, 288-Pin) ~ 151€
NOCTUA NH-D15 ~85€

so 1500€ ish without GPU. (depending on stock, just about everything seems to be out of stock).
Nice upgrade plan! I'm eyeing either the MSI X570 Pro-A or Gigabyte Auros X570 Elite motherboard for my build.

My future upgrades will be 3700x for CPU and RGB ram.

EDIT: MSI B450 MORTAR MAX SPOTTED IN HONG KONG

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING

Last edited:

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I currently use a Fractal Design Define R4. I love the space and the silence it offers. Is the R6 still as good? Are there any other good&silent mid-size cases? I don't care much for windows and RGB-Christmas lights.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 499€
NOCTUA NH-D15 ~85€

I like the x570 Strix-E as well, it is comparable to the new Hero VIII, but ~100€ less expansive. Not saying it's equal to the CH 8, but it's very good.

Check if your NH-D15 comes with the AM4 mounting kit. There are still many old packages floating around. The AMD version is called NH-D15 SE AM4. If it's too late you can contact Noctua and get the kit for free (proof of CPU and Cooler is needed though, pics of receipts are enough).

Personally I'm staying on my X470 CH7. Being able to hold on to a good board is refreshing :)

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Glad my case has angled type c connectors, the front panel didn't give me any trouble on my X570 Taichi

Dec 5, 2018
Since it looks like the 3900X won't be in stock anytime soon I've been looking for the rest of the build.

I'm currently eyeing the MSI Mpg X570 Gaming Pro Carbon, but I'm not sure If it's worth the price.

Also a friend recomended me the NZXT H700, It seems like a solid case but I wonder if there is one better around the same price range (~150€)

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Since it looks like the 3900X won't be in stock anytime soon I've been looking for the rest of the build.

I'm currently eyeing the MSI Mpg X570 Gaming Pro Carbon, but I'm not sure If it's worth the price.

Also a friend recomended me the NZXT H700, It seems like a solid case but I wonder if there is one better around the same price range (~150€)
The Lian-Li 011 Dynamic is very good. Also, what're you looking for in a mobo?