Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I started with Higurashi, but bounced during the first hour due to SoL stuff.
Read Umineko then, and thought nothing could beat it.
Then I read Higurashi last year and... yea, it's better than Umineko. Has that 'debut punk band album' energy, while Umineko is like a 'progressive rock studio album'.
For me it's the opposite. I too read Umineko first and then Higurashi, but I still think Umineko is best. The soundtrack, the plot, the rytmh of the narrative, I think it's all an improvement from Higurashi

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
They honestly, should just get in the habit of releasing on Steam period. Censor and chop it up however you have to. Than offer the patch on their website.

Win-Win... right?
That is generally seems the strategy for most localizers.

It's just that games are not guaranteed to get accepted even when censored, so localizes frequently have to pick and choose where to put their resources. You also have to remember the developers themselves might not be open to having their games censored. That is for example the case with Innocent Grey.

Looking at MangaGamer over the last year or so, things not on Steam include high-school romances (obviously risky), Rance (they probably gave up after the 4D/5 got rejected), and an eroge from Clockup which has a lot of questionable content. Everything else is on Steam.

JAST explicitly has the strategy of using Steam for all ages releases of games where that makes sense, while keeping everything too lewd on their own store. That has worked pretty well for them until now, considering the games they've gotten approved (like ES GOLD), though Muramasa did run into trouble.

Sekai Project/Denpasoft seem to throw everything on Steam, going as far as rewriting story content in nukige to produce something coherent after all the cuts ('Childhood Friends With Benefits' turning into 'Childhood Friends' on Steam). But it doesn't always work out and Kimagure Temptation and Re;Lord 2 were apparently somewhat of an ordeal to get approved. And even then, KT ended up as an AO release despite the cuts.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Mhm, I suppose that is true... Just that one tends to remember more often when something you're looking forward to does get the boot. (For me this was most disappointing with Innocent Grey stuff, I absolutely love the Kara No Shoujo series and Innocent Grey's visuals/OST's.)

W/ regards to Eiyuu Senki Gold, afaik, there's nothing lewd in the non-DLC version, it's just like the console version? So makes sense Steam would be okies with that.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
They honestly, should just get in the habit of releasing on Steam period. Censor and chop it up however you have to. Than offer the patch on their website.

Win-Win... right?
That's essentially what MG's been doing. Outside of Rance, I can't think of any of their releases this year that haven't been on Steam as well as their site. That also explains the high preference for VNs made by Waffle, since for whatever reason Waffle nukige never have any problem making it on Steam.

JAST explicitly has the strategy of using Steam for all ages releases of games where that makes sense, while keeping everything too lewd on their own store. That has worked pretty well for them until now, considering the games they've gotten approved (like ES GOLD), though Muramasa did run into trouble.
It's still a shame that Muramasa couldn't get approved. It really wouldn't be that hard to cut the few adult scenes out if that was the only problem, but even then sometimes its just up to the whims of the person approving/rejecting it. Still doesn't seem like there's any sense of consistency with how they approve and reject titles from VN devs I've seen vent about it.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and 「Echo」

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
W/ regards to Eiyuu Senki Gold, afaik, there's nothing lewd in the non-DLC version, it's just like the console version? So makes sense Steam would be okies with that.
There's a good number of character designs that'd put it in the high-risk category by my estimation.
The same is true for the original ES, but that was released before Valve tightened the rules.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Most of the main pages say "Up to 0% off" for me, ha.
Unfortunately i have already bought a metric boatload of VNs throughout the year but i'll take a look anyway.

Made the mistake of checking JAST, Fakku, Denpa and Denpa have a mini sale on too. Dammit.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
My backlog is almost empty and everything I really wanted sits at 0% off (Sekimeya, WILL, Raging Loop, Shinrai), guess I'll be picking up Buried Stars next week.

• Sad
Reactions: 「Echo」

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Darn was hoping for A Summer's End to be discounted; the one thing on my wishlist not discounted

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
... of course it is Switch. I dunno why i hoped for Steam news lol. I'm going to toss my hope aside for now lol. If it comes it will be a surprise. If not... well, oh well.

I feel like it's been forever ago since i read the Vita version...

There's the Christmas Sale in a few weeks too so it's not that long of a wait.
I'm gonna wait for Christmas sale too. A little extra time to save up.

Reactions: Cacher

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I assume this C;H N release is running in a different engine and not Nitro+'s hence they are able to get this release out in the first place.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
There is also some debate over whether it will be uncensored or PSP/Sony version which was cut down with some content. I guess the lingerie patch/mode will be a first edition DLC code?
======

I got Song of Saya on Steam. Never read it before, but heard many good things of course.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Fata Morgana still has exclusive content on Switch, right ? Not that interested anyway, I know it’s supposed to be great but this game sounds like a heart/soul breaker.

Meanwhile in Muramasa… I had difficulty resuming my playthrough, I had stopped at a really ‘stoppable’ point. Then I played, and it wasn’t bad but relatively flat. Then I decide to stop for now, in the middle of a duel, and a wild third character appears ! Ffs ! At least I won’t have trouble playing again here, I want to know what will unfold :blobdrool:

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and Cacher

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
You should have waited till the fan translation for Chaos Head is done. Tracker here: CHAOS;HEAD NOAH Progress Tracker

Then you'd still be confused, but you'd be confused with lots more background lore on top.
I have read vanilla Chaos Head fwiw, I'm still very confused, am I supposed to be this confused?

wtf happened?

EDIT:
Ok I'm doing a dump of my thoughts actually

At the end of the common route why was Kunosato trying to get the psychics out of Shibuya? They said it something to do with chaos child syndrome but what?
What was Arimura's connection to victim #3? All that was said was that she knew him, that's it?
What is Kunosato's backstory?
Who the heck was Haida Rico?
So what really happened before the start of the true ending route? Seems like most of it but some of it can't have happened like the epilogue from the common route
Was Serika a syndrome patient? Doesn't seem so from her not being old but the guard knew her?
What was all that about with Wakui's game? Why did Takuru even bother proposing it?
Why did everyone lose their powers in the true ending route?
Why was Takuru such a special gigalomaniac? In what way was he special apart from creating Serika?
What EXACTLY is chaos child syndrome and its cause? How do the gigalomaniacs relate to it?
What was Serika's involvement in the Committee of 300's plan? She seemed to commit the murders but without anything to do with them
What about the foster dad? He seemed to be helping her but he was part of the committee.
On the other hand Wakui didn't seem to do anything of his own volition and just let Serika do her thing and it worked out for him. He mentioned that Takuru was important to his experiments though, how so?
Given the ending, is a sequel planned?

Last edited:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I assume you're referring to C;C Love Chu * Chu? :flare_lmao:

It was on PSV so it might as well don't exist.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Japanese only at the moment

Also, this is getting a continued story, it was originally a short story in one of the DreadXP collections.

____

I am really tempted by this one, but curious to hear a few more impressions.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Chapter 3 of Muramasa finished. The least interesting so far if we forget the great world building both at the start and on this chapter main topic.
Though I really do wonder if I’m following a good guide or haven’t misunderstood the affection gauges. I’m (slowly) approaching the first route ending and the girl affection is low as fuck.

And about the length of the game. Can I hope that choice moments are far more often in the other routes ? Because if it’s not the case, boy oh boy at the length.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Chapter 3 of Muramasa finished. The least interesting so far if we forget the great world building both at the start and on this chapter main topic.
Though I really do wonder if I’m following a good guide or haven’t misunderstood the affection gauges. I’m (slowly) approaching the first route ending and the girl affection is low as fuck.

And about the length of the game. Can I hope that choice moments are far more often in the other routes ? Because if it’s not the case, boy oh boy at the length.
I think you haven't entered any route yet ;)

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Maybe I’m mixing terminology too much and should say endings instead of routes. I mean, I’m near the first character ending, no ?
I’m a little bit after Save Slot 3.

The game makes it very obvious when you enter a character route. Don't worry too much about it for now, still a ton of VN ahead of you.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
The game makes it very obvious when you enter a character route. Don't worry too much about it for now, still a ton of VN ahead of you.
But can I continue following this guide sequentially or is this shit ?

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I recommend not to consult a guide during the final route. The payoff is satisfying that it is almost a disservice to complete it with any assistance. :flare_bath:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
But can I continue following this guide sequentially or is this shit ?
It's fine, you really don't need one imo once you figure out how the alignment system works. Even my stupid self which usually struggles with route based VNs was able to figure it out.

Sequentially doesn't matter, but you need to do the two main routes in any order to unlock the 3rd route. I recommend locking a save file from the first decision in the game early in ch 2 and loading from there when you visit the other routes.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 19, 2018
Ibis Island
VNs requiring a mandaotry minimum Resolution aren't really a thing anymore right?

I recall there was something back in the day (When VNs first started hitting steam) but I can't recall the title.