Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Marco ? And the galaxy dragon ? It looks fun, was this a 18+ title originally ? How is it ?
Yeah, Marco & the Galaxy Dragon:

I'm a bit more lukewarm on Marco than ExistentialThought, but I'd still recommend giving it a shot.

Without going into specifics, the game suffer from a lot of emotional whiplash and the story is kinda all over the place..
I wrote some more detailed thoughts here, back when I had just read it, but those are more spoilery.

But it also has a great cast of characters, a toon of good gags, an absolutely ludicrous amount of CGs (especially considering the short length), and even fully animated segments. If it got a sequel then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Fatal Twelve is getting a Limited Run edition.

For anyone not familiar with Fatal Twelve, it is a pretty good Death Game VN where participants fight through information gathering.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Nearing the branching point between route, let’s say #3 and the Revelation ending in Somnium Files. I still have a little way to go between these two and the horribly depressing one but nearing the end.
And I have no idea where Uchikoshi is going with this ball.
Started playing on game pass as well. Enjoying it so far but it is also pretty weird to see morning wood being mentioned in the tips lmao.

Reactions: Li Kao

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
So, I was thinking of starting Clannad and found out that it's got a dozen routes, some of which are prerequisites of one another. Any tips on how I could best approach this? Can I just do/pick whatever choices I feel like on my first go around and then aim for specific routes, or should I be playing with a guide in the background from the start?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
So, I was thinking of starting Clannad and found out that it's got a dozen routes, some of which are prerequisites of one another. Any tips on how I could best approach this? Can I just do/pick whatever choices I feel like on my first go around and then aim for specific routes, or should I be playing with a guide in the background from the start?
For all Key games, I'd go with the order Kazamatsuri went with

Reactions: beep boop

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Their bookclub podcasts are also really good if you enjoy listening to people discuss a work of fiction.
Sounds appealing! Is it something I can listen to as I play or should I wait until after I’ve finished the entirety of it?

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Sounds appealing! Is it something I can listen to as I play or should I wait until after I’ve finished the entirety of it?
I usually only listen to the podcasts once I've finished reading the entire VN, but they do them route-by-route or chapter-by-chapter depending on the VN, so you can also read a chunk and then listen to the corresponding episode, if that sounds more appealing to you. The walk-through on that page is the same order as the bookclub episodes, so you're good to go either way.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I usually only listen to the podcasts once I've finished reading the entire VN, but they do them route-by-route or chapter-by-chapter depending on the VN, so you can also read a chunk and then listen to the corresponding episode, if that sounds more appealing to you. The walk-through on that page is the same order as the bookclub episodes, so you're good to go either way.
I think I'll do episode by episode then. If I like the pod, that'll make for good motivation to keep playing :)

Edit: One of the characters is voiced by the same person who did Rena in Higurashi. That freaked me out for a sec!

Last edited:
Reactions: Exzyleph

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I've finished with the Nemesis route of Muramasa.

I have a hard time deciding which route resonates with me the most. At first glance, Ichijou's route seems to be the clear winner, but The Law of Vengeance in Kanae's route is so compelling since it forces both Kageaki and Kanae to find meaning in their pursuit of ideals since they're both the executioner of their own conviction. Kageaki seeks vengeance to avenge his father, while Kanae seeks vengeance to avenge Yuhi. And at the same time, it is also salvation they seek at the end of their swords. There's something poetic and serene at the end of it since they both found each other and accomplished their goals despite losing their lives in the process.

The route is also quite humorous. The throwaway options during the assault of the airship was pretty good. And I definitely didn't expect a fan service from Sayo of all people. I feel the musha combat in this route isn't as interesting as the other. They're quick and to the point. What I'm not exactly a fan of is the multitude of dialogue/action options this route is littered with. I feel it worked fine while we're adventuring, but it breaks up the pacing a little bit during musha combat since the clues to the correct dialogue choices aren't immediately apparent resulting in a bit of trial and error.

I'm keen to see what role Chacamaru has in all this. Why is she committing suicide with Ginseigo? And she was able to converse with Muramasa too. She seems to know a lot about tsurugis. Like, she's attuned to it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next route. I haven't been following a guide and I think I made a good decision since it never becomes frustrating.

EDIT: I've started reading the next route and it's already amazing. :flare_woozy:

Also found a great Muramasa fan art from one of my favourite Kiseki fan artists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Muramasa Nemesis Route

The confrontation between Kanae and Kageaki in the prison cell was masterful. Learning her backstory and how she connects to Yuhi puts a lot of chapter 1 (especially that scene of her crying when she "predicts" Yuhi's fate) into context and the payoff was just wonderful, especially the CG of Kageaki weeping into Kanae's hand and her being utterly shocked at his response. I had to stop there as I had things to take care of, but my god was everything about that scene just so cathartic for both Kageaki and the reader especially, both as a form of payoff of everything up to this point and because you can't help but empathize for Kagaeki when all he's wanted was for someone to not forgive him for "his" sins. I'm not gonna forget about this one for a while

This VN is so damn good man. I can't wait to get back to it this weekend.

Also shoutout to Zizz Studio for the amazing sound direction and the overall quality of the soundtrack. I was already very impressed by their work for Hanachirasu and Demonbane, but Muramasa's is on another level. Definitely one of the best soundtracks I've heard for any VN.

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher and Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Also shoutout to Zizz Studio for the amazing sound direction and the overall quality of the soundtrack
The scene in Kageaki's prison cell whilst this track starts playing. I feel that.

I'll post a bunch of bangers from Muramasa in the Game Soundtrack OT later, but the quality has been amazing.

• Love
Reactions: skLaFarebear

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Love Duction and Ninki Seiyuu are out on Steam:

Both have free patches, on Denpasoft and Johren respectively.

And Abaddon, a (very NSFW) VN that got rejected by Valve, will be released on Fakku and itch.io:

• Comfy
Reactions: Cacher and Kvik

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Nekonyan posted another status update:

And on the Sekai Project/Denpasoft side,

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
My major pet peeve about these translation groups is that they have a functional website but fuck-all information on how to actually buy the game. I mean, it's not really a big deal when vndb has all the info we need but I feel encouraging people to buy the official version will benefit everyone in the long run.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Historical lows for the Muv-Luv series:

I think I might jump on the first one. I'm aware everyone says Alternative is where it gets "really" good, but I also want to pick up some stuff in the Halloween sale still :b

Clannad vibe check: I'm still super early but so far the main character hasn't been especially likeable, so it's been hard to get into!

Last edited:
  • Comfy

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

I think I might jump on the first one. I'm aware everyone says Alternative is where it gets "really" good, but I also want to pick up some stuff in the Halloween sale still :b
Nah, I enjoyed both Extra and Unlimited.. Extra is good for a quick laugh or two (and is really required for Alternative to hit you in the gonads), and Unlimited is decent as well (and has loads of plot dumps, so that you know the stakes in Alternative).

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm still super early but so far the main character hasn't been especially likeable, so it's been hard to get into!
I have the same opinion of Takeru when I read Extra. I like the slice-of-life genre in general, though, so I enjoyed my time with it. Let's just say that his character will undergo some changes across the subsequent games and the payoff is more than satisfying. You will have a lot to look forward to.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019

Clannad vibe check: I'm still super early but so far the main character hasn't been especially likeable, so it's been hard to get into!
FYI, that there's a big Muv-Luv stream happening on the 23rd. Outside of more information about Immortal (the mobile game) and some anime stuff nothing else has been confirmed, but it'd be nice to get an update on Resonative or even a potential Schwarzesmarken EN announcement.

• Comfy
Reactions: beep boop and Kvik

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Shiravune dropped a surprise announcement of Dohna Dohna.
This is Alicesoft's latest release, that was released just under a year ago.
On one hand it is great that Shiravune/DMM is able/willing to localize recent/high-profile releases, but sadly they still insists on using Denuvo for their releases.

And MangaGamer is releasing a few more physical editions:

Reason: accidentially a word or two
Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Shiravune dropped a surprise announcement of Dohna Dohna.
This is Alicesoft's latest release, that was released just under a year ago.
On one hand it is great that Shiravune/DMM is able/willing to localize recent/high-profile releases, but sadly they still insists on using Denuvo for their releases.

And MangaGamer is releasing a few more physical editions:
Very excited to finally play Dohna Dohna! A shame that since this game's "content" makes even Rance look very lighthearted in comparison, there's absolutely 0 chance of a Steam release, so I'm forced to use Johren. At least I'm not worried about the TL itself since Shiravune does good work on that end.

Kinda hilarious seeing the comparisons between this and Rance's localization release speeds when of course Dohna Dohna would be much faster when you're basically comparing a game with text the size of the average Goosebumps book to a series with entries that are borderline near the Bible (and in X's case, way past that).

Grabbing that Rance 01/02 physical edition just so I can use the USB for work.

• Comfy

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
A word of warning for those considering buying from Johren:
You apparently have to contact support when uninstalling games, or you risk running out of DRM activations (source):

Hahahahah, yeah never ever buying from there. After having a few boxed PC games that are coasters without cracks, I am never going down that path again.

Like how do companies in this day and age not understand that these moves make piracy look like a better option?

• This!
Reactions: Kvik and Exzyleph

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Sure I remember an old game doing the same move, was it disc crysis?, limited installs.
Anyway Dohna Dohna looks good.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Almost everything major from EA and Ubisoft between like 2006 and 2011 had limited installs due to Securom and Tages. They were not the only ones, but some of the biggest pushers of cruddy DRM.

80% of the reason I started using Steam was due to the fact that it was either Steam or a more intrusive form of DRM. Of course, Steam started doing far more over for PC gaming over time, but gosh those were some bleak years for PC around the mid-2000s.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Recently tried to play Subahibi on the second monitor. You know reading in downtime during FFXIV, between queues or while waiting. But the game just crashes everytime i tab out than back in. Just auto-closes. (Steam Version)

Unfortunate, Recently I finished DDLC+. It was my first exposure to DDLC, I remained largely spoiler free all these years. Really liked it. Hope Team Salvaato has another game in the works because the uhm... the outer layer story of DDLC is actually really interesting.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Muv-Luv stream recap

Mikhail story mode/pvp demo

Project immortal, now named Immortals Muv-Luv Alternative, gameplay footage with some new sick promotional art for Meiya

Stuff about the NFT Simulator Alternative anime, including blu-ray release dates.

Explaining how the Alt anime + Immortal + Mikhail has delayed any news on Resonative and Intergrate, but production is picking back up on both (moreso on the former) as well as a timeline of their upcoming projects.

Sounds like they're approximately aiming for a 2022 release window for Resonative, but considering it's Ages, expect delays. Integrate won't be till later down the line.

iOS/Android versions of Extra/Alternative aiming for a release date of January 2022.

Some merch talk, mostly showing the Meiya and Sumika bunny figs that are already up for pre-order

Next stream on Dec 30th-31st, during C99.

For en people, Mikhail on the 2nd of November releases on early access and TE's english TL is "in the final stretch"

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher and Exzyleph

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I didn't follow the progression for muramasa, but were there news about the supposed steam release? Was it confirmed rejected in the end?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
It failed the initial review, this we know for sure.
Whether JAST has managed to overturn the ban or if they even want to try to do it, that's another thing.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Where do you go if you want to buy the Muv Luv uncensor patch again ?

Oh and obviously, now I have finished a medium VN, every candidate that comes to mind is a huge monster. Like Muv Luv, Baldr Sky, Dies Irae, or Muramasa. Hmm, Majikoi too.

Last edited:

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019

Oh and obviously, now I have finished a medium VN, every candidate that comes to mind is a huge monster. Like Muv Luv, Baldr Sky, Dies Irae, or Muramasa. Hmm, Majikoi too.
I think I bought it from Denpasoft

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019

Here you go - A link to the H Patch :: Muv-Luv General Discussions

Just make sure you run the game for the first time, before applying the patch.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 19, 2018
Ibis Island
I bought all the Muv-Luvs I was missing (Have the OG on Alt on Vita/360).

Also skLaFarebear , The second MV game almost looks like the robot mode in Aegis Rim. Considering I really enjoyed that part of the game I'm curious to see more.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I've gotten through the baseball route of Clannad, and I'm considering leaving it there. My main reasons being that I find most of the cast varying degrees of uninteresting, and I didn't feel like there was enough (any?) momentum driving the story forward. I'm also still not sure what the central plot that ties things together is either. Maybe that part is uniquely a problem of this route, but then the characters don’t exactly inspire me to continue either. Knowing that the game is structured the way it is, I don’t expect the game will develop individual characters outside of their own routes in a way that makes the ensemble feel well rounded in general, but perhaps I'm mistaken in that.

So yeah, I'm not feeling confident that doing the rest will be worth the time investment. I might read a broader outline of what happens in the game and judge based on that.

Not entirely unrelated, I'm thinking Umineko will be more my speed than Muv Luv, so I'll probably hold off on the latter. That discount on Muv Luv is pretty nice though, and I wonder if it'll go back to only 40% off for a long time or if this is the new discounted price point.

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I bought all the Muv-Luvs I was missing (Have the OG on Alt on Vita/360).

Also skLaFarebear , The second MV game almost looks like the robot mode in Aegis Rim. Considering I really enjoyed that part of the game I'm curious to see more.
The first thing I thought of was also 13 Sentinels when I first saw more of the Immortal gameplay. Since it's a mobile game I'm not expecting anywhere near the same level of depth, but it looks like it could at least be pretty enjoyable.

Unfortunately, it's gonna be JP only for now. Hopefully they do eventually localize it, but until then Bluestacks/Qooapp will have to do.

• Comfy

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Adding to the list of things I didn't expect:

GOG is now selling Evenicle

This title features mature content that may not be suitable for all all audiences, including fictional depictions of graphic violence, polygamy, drug use, hypnotism, assault, and incest; both consensual and non-consensual graphic sexual scenes between adults featuring men and women, women with other women, multiple partners, machines, and fictional creatures.

• Evil

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Adding to the list of things I didn't expect:

GOG is now selling Evenicle
Not too surprised considering it's (the first game) also on Steam. Now if Rance makes it on GOG, I'll be shocked.

Though I wonder if this is how Alicesoft EN plans on getting Evenicle 2 out to the west. I feel like if a deal was going to happen with MG/JAST/etc. by now, it would've already happened.

Last edited:
  • Comfy

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I feel bad for Alicesoft because it sounds like they had big plans with self-publishing Evenicle 2. But with Steam the way they are ... :flare_pout:

On a much lighter note, JAST Halloween sale is on now.

Grab that Muramasa now, fellow VN enjoyers~ :mion_vibing:

It's only 10% off but still worth every cent. :flare_mogu:

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I feel bad for Alicesoft because it sounds like they had big plans with self-publishing Evenicle 2. But with Steam the way they are ... :flare_pout:
When Alicesoft said they were taking over publishing on Steam themselves (and I pretty sure they were going the no patch/censor/etc route), I 99% assumed it was going to be banned.

It still surprises me the first game has not been removed.

• Comfy