Community The Visual Novel Council | All Choices Lead To Here

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah, it's kind of like a piece of history from the 'good 'ol days'. :flare_lmao:

I reminisced fondly at the times when you can download an R18+ patch directly on the Steam store page. :flare_mogu:

It was crazy to see what games made it onto Steam before they pulled back their stance. I wish Valve would find some sort of middle ground. On the one hand, I 1000% understand the risk some VNs/games have for a platform like Steam. Some folks really downplay how easily something could lead to Steam getting warned/fined/banned/etc. On the other hand, it is strange when a game is on GOG and/or Itch.io that are banned on Steam (not too many, but definitely some).

It would be nice if Valve did not adopt the one and done approach to rejecting titles since there have been some reports of titles being banned, that may not even have sexual content, with no chance of a second review unless folks call it out.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Speaking of banned games, I finished this one demo a few minutes ago.

For a 2011 game emulating the feel of the PC88 NES colour palette (including its FM synthesis for sfx/music), it feels kind of archaic, for better or worse. For starters, there is no mouse control. So if you have a 60% keyboard as I do, then the Fn key must be pressed as we navigate using our equivalent of the arrow keys. Secondly, no Steam Overlay support, and consequently, no Steam Input support.

The game itself plays like any normal ADV/turn-based combat RPG. There's inventory management and party member ordering. I assume this will make sense like a dungeon-crawler party system where you put your tank in the front and ranged DPS at the back. Sadly the demo was rather short, and there was only 1 combat encounter in this 1-hour demo.

The horror itself seems 'alright', I suppose. I played this during lunchtime which I feel was a mistake because my study is well-lit in the middle of the day, lmao. The haunted mansion trope is used in great effect here, and the horror feels Lovecraftian in nature; descending into madness and all that. For degenerates amongst us, there is no H-CG in the demo, but the hook is interesting enough that $25 probably wasn't such a bad deal considering.

Also, there is a toggle for "BL" if boys on boys pairing aren't your cup of tea.

Last edited:

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
It seems like a bunch of reviews with links to 18+ patches have been removed.

That's not notable in itself, but supposedly people who upvoted those reviews have gotten slapped with everything from suspension of review-voting privileges to a complete account suspensions. It seems like Valve is treating those links as if they were malware/phishing attempts and are therefore treating people who upvote them as bad actors as well.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I buy 90% of my VNs from the Dev/Publisher/JAST/Denpasoft or Fakku but it does surprise me that people are getting caught up in anti-bot measures for upvoting a review on steam. There again i rarely upvote reviews just click Funny on the memey ones i find interesting which are few and far between. I suppose i can see why these companies are being more extreme in their reactions if they are increasingly liable for content on their networks.

Anyway, i finished my MuvLuv Collection on Steam ( and downloaded the Patches from a thread they haven't hit yet ), bought Evenicle on GOG because i'd heard about it and i picked up a couple of new VNs from Denpa and JAST the other day just before the JAST sales, DOH! oh well.

• Comfy

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
The VN/Sim-game Love Flute apparently just got a EN translation:

And so did Hermitage, which also looks pretty interesting;

• Comfy

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I've discovered the greatness of using magpie to upscale older VNs

Before:

After:

It's especially noticeable with stuff like Muramasa which renders out in 576p, but it'll be beneficial to stuff like Uta 1-3 and generally most other VNs that render out under 1080p.

• Comfy
Reactions: Ascheroth and Kvik

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Kvik Knurek I'm not sure if this applies to the version of Abaddon bought on Fakku too but there's a notice on the itch version pointing to the decensor patch. Seems they uploaded the wrong version.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
if this applies to the version of Abaddon bought on Fakku too but there's a notice on the itch version pointing to the decensor patch.
Vndb says that Fakku's version is already decensored. Seems like they have this patch ready for the Steam version.

Also, why is Fakku's official account distributing the patch using a Dropbox account?! :flare_lmao: They have a whole bloody website!

That link will run out of quota after 100 downloads or some ridiculously low number.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
I already added Hanachirasu to the cart. Maybe I should pick up Demonbane too... :flare_think:
Both really solid VNs, especially Demonbane. I had a lot of fun with that one.

Though note, the FMVs for Demonbane don't work anymore (I assume it's a Windows issue), so I had to look them up on youtube. There's only about 5 of them total that play and they're all pretty much in the first half besides 1, but still a minor annoyance.

Also if you pick up Demonbane, there's a voice patch for it here to import the PS2 extra voices - Deus Machina Demonbane - Voice Patch

Also some extra steps to get it to work below

Code:
The original game has the files “voice.npa” and “nss.npa”

Just rename it “voice1.npa” and “nss1.npa”

Then, when you put the voice patch in the folder. This will keep the original voice files, and just put them in second priority over the new files.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Both really solid VNs, especially Demonbane. I had a lot of fun with that one.

Though note, the FMVs for Demonbane don't work anymore (I assume it's a Windows issue), so I had to look them up on youtube. There's only about 5 of them total that play and they're all pretty much in the first half besides 1, but still a minor annoyance.

They totally work for me, and even if they wouldn't, no need for youtube, as they are just mpg files with ngs extension in the dx folder.

• Comfy

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019

They totally work for me, and even if they wouldn't, no need for youtube, as they are just mpg files with ngs extension in the dx folder.
Unfortunate for me then. I looked it up and quite a few people had the same issue I did. I also did se they were just mpg files, but someone mentioned that they're out of order so watching them directly from the file wasn't helpful.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
knurek beat me to it, i just opened one of the .ngs files in VLC and it played no problem. I wanted to check if there was a codec missing but not on my system. Is there a way to see if the game has an issue playing them? Is there an intro missing or something obvious?

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
knurek beat me to it, i just opened one of the .ngs files in VLC and it played no problem. I wanted to check if there was a codec missing but not on my system. Is there a way to see if the game has an issue playing them? Is there an intro missing or something obvious?
People on reddit about a year ago recommended the cccp codec pack, and it worked for some, but not for me so ymmv. You'll know it when you see it since pretty early on the OP plays and you'll either get the opening movie or you'll just see a black screen with music/dialogue playing the in the bg.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
skLaFarebear yeah, CCCP Codec Pack has been around forever and was a godsend decades ago when i first started getting rips as it had the codecs, subtitlers, scalers required to play pretty much any anime you could download and people still reccommend it nowadays but i haven't had to use it for years.

I'll install Demonblade later on and see if the OP movie plays correctly.

edit: The OP played for me with no problem. Didn't install the game, just extracted it and ran it from the extracted folders as a test. Watched/read the intro/prelude and then i had the video and music like Knurek showed.

Last edited:

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Speaking of magpie and lossless scaling, I tested both but to me it seems that magpie scale things better?
Is there any particular setting I should try with lossless scaling?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
So I just got Umineko and as I headed over to 07th mod for the PS3 patch, I learned about Umineko Project... Are there any strong reasons I should not play the 07th version? Missing lip sync is kind of a bummer, but otherwise they're pretty similar it seems. Plus, you know, chievos on Steam. Very important.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I realise I'm sitting on a massive VN (and VN-esque) backlog/wishlist.

Any of these that are worth cutting? In alphabetical order:

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
428: Shibuya Scramble
Ace Attorney series
A Summer's End: Hong Kong 1986
Chaos;Child
Clannad series
Corpse Party series
Fatal Twelve
Fullmetal Demon Muramasa
Gnosia
Iwaihime
Kara no Shoujo series
Raging Loop
Re: Zero: Prophecy of the Throne
Robotics;Notes series
Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition
Root Film
Root Letter
Spirit Hunter series
Yu-No
Zero Escape series

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Are there any strong reasons I should not play the 07th version? Missing lip sync is kind of a bummer, but otherwise they're pretty similar it seems.
Hmm, personally, I'd prefer to use 07th-mod, since they have a number of options. Not only the installation is so damn convenient for other 7th-E games, but the ability to mix and match (ADV/NVL modes, original/PS3/Switch(for Higurashi) sprites etc is making the choice easy for me.

:flaregalaxycat:

Update: October 28, 2021 - The translation for "Heartthrob Memorial: Under the Tree of Legends" is still in progress. The game has a massive amount of text, and progress is steadily being made. In terms of main game dialogue, we are about 40% done, though this doesn't include work on the other systems like the minigames and such. The dialogue insertion process itself has long been solved and the game will have no problems containing all of the translated text.

Reactions: beep boop

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Any opinions on The Sekimeya and/or Abyss of the Sacrifice? Or maybe some other relatively less known mysteries/thrillers/whatever? (I've read most of the obvious things already - (G)AA, Kodaka, Uchikoshi, Ryukishi, Sci;Adv and bought Fatal Twelve today)

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I tested both but to me it seems that magpie scale things better?
Well, Magpie has multiple upscaling options, as opposed to Lossless Scaling which only focuses on Integer Scaling/Nearest Neighbour options. Personally, I like sharp pixels, so Magpie is kind of hit or miss for me. I'd like to give it a go once again when I have a 4K TV though.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Finish a session of Muramasa without feeling like utter shit challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

Muramasa Nemesis Route

This scene made me feel so awful, I'm gonna go inject some happiness into me for the rest of the night.

• Sad

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Dohna Dohna is out.

$50 USD, and of course, it's been DRM'd. :mion_barf:
Base price is $50 but it does have a 20% sale and the conversion rate for the coins I purchased are actually less than $40, altogether i paid about $32~ for it which is pretty fair.

FYI, the DRM was already cracked. There's confirmation that simply swapping it's exe with the JP exe bypasses the DRM. Nice Denuvo implementation DMM.

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Really? So in other words, if you get the .exe from the DMM version it will work with the Johren version? :flare_think:
That I can't confirm since idk how that would work with the DMM version's DRM. All I know is it bypasses the Denuvo DRM for the Johren version by replacing the EN exe with the JP exe.

• Comfy

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
That I can't confirm since idk how that would work with the DMM version's DRM. All I know is it bypasses the Denuvo DRM for the Johren version by replacing the EN exe with the JP exe.
Yeah, I'm a bit sceptical since most VN from DMM normally has DRM of some kind. I guess I'll wait and see once there're more reports in r/visualnovels or elsewhere.

Reactions: skLaFarebear

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Well, Magpie has multiple upscaling options, as opposed to Lossless Scaling which only focuses on Integer Scaling/Nearest Neighbour options. Personally, I like sharp pixels, so Magpie is kind of hit or miss for me. I'd like to give it a go once again when I have a 4K TV though.
About the integer scaling, I've noticed that when I use it basically the image is zoomed in and doesn't fit the screen. I unchecked the stretch options in the nvidia control panel but it keeps doing this. Any suggestion?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
How is Muramasa one the feeling miserable scale compared to Somnium Files ? The later is certainly not peak darkness but it has its moments.
Weighing the pros and cons of Muramasa, I don't mind being roughed up but not interested in adding traumas to my traumas.
This is all very hypothetical by the way, it's still not cheap even discounted.

Oh and on the other end of the spectrum (I mean it appears to be lighter) how is National Park Girls ? I impulse bought the first episode on sale for some change. Did I choose poorly ?

Let's get cray cray, third question !
What's a quality fun VN without the 'fuck it all, everything is shit' elements ?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
How is Muramasa one the feeling miserable scale compared to Somnium Files ? The later is certainly not peak darkness but it has its moments.
Weighing the pros and cons of Muramasa, I don't mind being roughed up but not interested in adding traumas to my traumas.
Imo, not even close. Muramasa is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more messed up than Somnium Files.

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao and Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
About the integer scaling, I've noticed that when I use it basically the image is zoomed in and doesn't fit the screen. I unchecked the stretch options in the nvidia control panel but it keeps doing this. Any suggestion?
What you can do there is to set the scaling mode to "No Scaling" in NVCP. Then, in Lossless Scaling, set the Scale Factor ratio to "Auto". This will automatically adjust the scaling ratio based on your resolution.

Bear in mind that you might get black bars if the integer scaled resolution ends up smaller than your native resolution though. For example, Muramasa's native resolution is 1024x576. Integer scaled to the factor of 2, it becomes 2048x1152, which will fit a 2560x1440 resolution screen, with black bars, However, If you set the Scale Factor to Custom with the factor of 3, then the resolution will become 3072x1728, which is larger than 2560x1440 screen, hence it looked zoomed in as you have observed.

Reactions: Snakethesniper

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
any particular reason why?

fact that you've only picked two out of that list shows they're damn strong :D
ah first world problems:face-with-cold-sweat:
Root Letter has awful scenario. Root Film is actually significant improvement to its predecessor (considering they actually replaced scenario writer), but it does have terrible tricks so don't buy it for detective element.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
What's a quality fun VN without the 'fuck it all, everything is shit' elements ?
Lamunation!

If you're familiar with popular culture and memes from the past 10+ years and doesn't mind a storyline that doesn't require picking up nuances and foreshadowing at every turn, this is for you. It's pretty much the equivalent of ordering a Big Mac half-drunk after a night out at the pub with your mates. It's fun, kind of batshit crazy, but also doesn't overstay its welcome. Pickup the R18+ patch too if you're keen.

Translated by @blockwonkel of Steins;Gate fame.

• Comfy
  • Hug
Reactions: Li Kao and Cacher

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Like Cacher said, Muramasa is much more harrowing a read than AI, it's not even comparable. Don't let that stop you from actually reading it though, it's been such an amazing read and deserves it's place on the top. Though if you want to wait for a deeper discount that's of course ok too.

For something more comparable and cheaper, you could pick up Hanachirasu by the same author on sale for $10 on the JAST store. Outside of being a good VN on it's own, it's a pretty solid introduction to Narahara's style of writing and how he treats his characters, themes, etc compared to other writers in the medium. It's also a quick read too at around 5-6 hours.

Aokana and Little Busters! both fit this pretty well

Also the Rance series, which isn't on sale atm, but it's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of quality fun.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Now that I finished a VN for the first time in years, I can’t wait to do it again. Steam Deck, when ? I guess I could try streaming to the ipad but it’s not totally the same, not a fan of touch control for a vn.
The only ’good news’ is that I may avoid breaking the bank on VN, publishers seem to have decided to price those just a tad too high for me, even on sale. Why, yes, good was really relative.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Now that I finished a VN for the first time in years, I can’t wait to do it again. Steam Deck, when ? I guess I could try streaming to the ipad but it’s not totally the same, not a fan of touch control for a vn.
The only ’good news’ is that I may avoid breaking the bank on VN, publishers seem to have decided to price those just a tad too high for me, even on sale. Why, yes, good was really relative.
1. Auto-mode.
2. ☠

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Insomnia Post #1
So what's the deal with Dohna Dohna and how it would never fly on Steam ? Is it because of the underage looking girls or are there other disturbing elements ?

Insomnia Post #2

Man, looked a bit more on games like Rance and Evenicle. I loved Dragon Knight III back in the day after all. I suppose I can live with underage drawings, I may tolerate imaginary rape, but now you say... what... vore ? Good Lord. Is Evenicle as horrible as some steam reviews make it out to be ?

Insomnia Post #3 - Aka 'nobody will answer me in the middle of the night, might as well group my posts' -
For fun I listed the VN that interest me the most, generally in broad descending order. I would enjoy any comment, like you should read this in priority, please don't read this etc. No guarantee that I follow those advices, but I care about your opinion nonetheless.

Library -
Grisaia
Muv-Luv
National Park Girls
9-nine
Root Double
Danganronpa
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
Vampire Coteries of New York

Wishlist -
Muramasa
Dies Irae
Hanachirasu
The Mysteries of Ranko Togawa
Marco & The Galaxy Dragon
Baldr Sky
Phoenix Wright
Lamunation
AoKana
Little Busters
Nanairo Reincarnation
Majikoi !
Island
The Sekimeiya
Sankaku Renai
Bustafellows
Danganronpa 2
Utawarerumono
Zero Escape

Wishlist (Fan Translations) -
Kamaitachi no Yoru
Comyu

Last edited:

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Insomnia Post #1
So what's the deal with Dohna Dohna and how it would never fly on Steam ? Is it because of the underage looking girls or are there other disturbing elements ?

Insomnia Post #2
Man, looked a bit more on games like Rance and Evenicle. I loved Dragon Knight III back in the day after all. I suppose I can live with underage drawings, I may tolerate imaginary rape, but now you say... what... vore ? Good Lord. Is Evenicle as horrible as some steam reviews make it out to be ?

Insomnia Post #3 - Aka 'nobody will answer me in the middle of the night, might as well group my posts' -
For fun I listed the VN that interest me the most, generally in broad descending order. I would enjoy any comment, like you should read this in priority, please don't read this etc. No guarantee that I follow those advices, but I care about your opinion nonetheless.

Library -
Grisaia
Muv-Luv
National Park Girls
9-nine
Root Double
Danganronpa
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters
Vampire Coteries of New York

Wishlist -
Muramasa
Dies Irae
Hanachirasu
The Mysteries of Ranko Togawa
Marco & The Galaxy Dragon
Baldr Sky
Phoenix Wright
Lamunation
AoKana
Little Busters
Nanairo Reincarnation
Majikoi !
Island
The Sekimeiya
Sankaku Renai
Bustafellows
Danganronpa 2
Utawarerumono
Zero Escape

Wishlist (Fan Translations) -
Kamaitachi no Yoru
Comyu
Evenicle has a lot of tonal whiplash with it's scenes. It'll have a bunch of wholesome vanilla then randomly jump to disturbing h-content that makes Rance's scenes looks real tame.

I like Grisaia a lot, but I'm biased towards Muv-Luv the most out of anything in your list. I didn't care much for Danganronpa but it might be more your flavor. I still gotta read more 9-nine but i enjoyed the first episode a fair bit.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Knurek
I was all well duh it's a porn game, but as I read further, yeah... Thanks by the way, I didn't see all those tags on vndb and discovered the summary/all thing.

skLaFarebear
I would say that my hype meter would be Muramasa, then Dies Irae, Baldr Sky, and Grisaia or Muv-Luv. But those are super long VN and they are not exactly cheap. The correct answer would be to pick one and read it, but I still have no idea if I want to prioritize, for example, cool samourai in mecha and the horrors of war, or 'cool' superpowered nazi and the horrors of war, or scifi mecha mystery (and the horrors of war ? VN are light hearted that way).