|OT| The Wheel of Time TV Series

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
What is The Wheel of Time?
The Wheel of Time is a 14 (+1 prologue) book long fantasy series by the late author James Oliver Rigney Jr. (pen name: Robert Jordan). It was finished by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan died in 2007. In 2017 it was announced that a tv series was in production.

Release Date
The first season will start on the 19. November with 3 episodes. The rest of the 8 episodes of first season will be released weekly.

Where?
Amazon Prime

Official blurb from Amazon for the series:
Set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to access it, the story follows Moiraine (Rosamund Pike), a member of the incredibly powerful all-female organization called the Aes Sedai, as she arrives in the small town of Two Rivers. There, she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women, one of whom is prophesied to be the Dragon Reborn, who will either save or destroy humanity.
Promotional Media
I put the media in spoiler tags for the people who want to go totally blind into the series.
The cast of the books is vast. According to one count [count url=The Compendium of Wheel of Time Characters] there are over 2700 named characters in the books.
Therefore the following list is only a small selection of characters that will appear at the beginning of the series.

Rosamund Pike as Moiraine Damodred

Daniel Henney as Lan Mandragoran

Josha Stradowski as Rand al'Thor

Marcus Rutherford as Perrin Aybara

Zoë Robins as Nynaeve al'Meara

Barney Harris (recast for 2nd season with Dónal Finn) as Mat Cauthon

Madeleine Madden as Egwene al'Vere

Álvaro Morte as Logain Ablar
Teaser Trailer

Winespring Inn Clip

Moraine Clip

Lan Clip

Shadowspawn Clip

Logain Clip

Behind the Scenes Clip
Moraine

The Cast

Moraine with Lan

Please use spoiler tags for spoilers from the book and from the tv series.
Perhaps we could say open spoilers for the tv series are allowed one week after episodes where aired.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I was obsessed with these books as a kid. Hoping the series is good and will reinvigorate me to actually finish the books one day.

Reactions: Pommes
OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
I was obsessed with these books as a kid. Hoping the series is good and will reinvigorate me to actually finish the books one day.
With the promotional material they already released it seems to me like they are doing many things right.
Let's hope that I am right :white-smiling-face:

Niosai

Guy Who Just Found Out This Place Exists Today
Oct 14, 2021
Are the books worth reading in 2021? I ask this as someone who can't stand books that are too....wordy. Let me rephrase: I can't stand the way the ASOIAF books are written.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Are the books worth reading in 2021? I ask this as someone who can't stand books that are too....wordy. Let me rephrase: I can't stand the way the ASOIAF books are written.
No

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
Any elaboration on this...?
I have never read ASOIAF besides a few pages of the first book. So I can not compare.
But I would say the The Wheel of Time is the definition of wordy :sweaty-blob:
Therefore I would agree with Gevin that this book series is probably not for you.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
It's a 6/10 series stretched out across fifteen 900-page books, some books are infamous because nothing happens and every page is filled with clothes descriptions

I'm excited about the series because it looks like it will trim out everything and we can get the good story that's hidden there

Niosai

Guy Who Just Found Out This Place Exists Today
Oct 14, 2021
It's a 6/10 series stretched out across fifteen 900-page books, some books are infamous because nothing happens and every page is filled with clothes descriptions

I'm excited about the series because it looks like it will trim out everything and we can get the good story that's hidden there
This is the exact thing I was wondering about. Looks like the series is for me.

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
New Clip
I have the feeling that Amazon will put out the complete first episode in form of trailers and clips if they continue with this pace :dizzy-face:

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019

Two new tracks from the sound track

There will be preview screenings of the first 2 episodes:

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
One week till the release of the first three episodes :heroblob:

The webpage of the series on Amazon does also have some background information (characters, map of the world, history timeline).
They will also release animated shorts with background information:

Edit:
The soundtrack of the first season was released:
Lorne Balfe - The Wheel of Time: The First Turn (Amazon Original Series Soundtrack)

Reason: Added soundtrack
Last edited:
OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
The first three episodes should drop 9 hours from now :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
Watched the first three episodes and I quite like it.
It is different from the books but I think it is a good start.
Some parts felt a bit rushed. That may be because they could not do a 2 hour long pilot and a 10 episode season as the showrunner originally wanted...

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'd totally forgotten all about it but i'm hearing the same things as in it's good, some parts seem rushed and they've obviously changed bits so the show explains or suggests tings that the novels took a lot longer to get to but nothing damning so far.

I might watch it tomorrow if i remember.

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
The last episode of the first Wheel of Time season was just released.
Overall I really liked this adaption. As said previously: Some parts could have needed additional time but I think that they managed to keep the spirit of the books. And considering that the actor of Mat left the show after the filming of episode 6 and that they accordingly had to rewrite episode 7 and 8 in a hurry they finished the season alright.
Now I only have to wait for season 2 and hope that there will be seasons after season 2 :blobeyes:

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I'm in the same boat, considering the various challenges i wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. This is a decent start and i like the whole "different turn of the wheel" perspective as with so many changes this can just be a different third age (convenient of Jordan to make any adaptation lore friendly from the start).

Now I do have high expectations for the next season though as they have hopefully figured things out and got an increased budget.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Oh god, I totally forgot the existence of this show. Gonna catch up tomorrow.

OP
Pommes

Pommes

Jun 4, 2019
For those that are interested:
The first three episodes of the second season of Wheel of Time are available now. Further episodes will release weekly.
Feedback that I did saw on the first episodes is the following:

• The first reactions are generally positive. It seems to be a (big?) step-up from the first season.
  • Book purists will hate it even more