News The Wonderful 101: Remastered (KS, Platinum) - releasing May 19

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Okay, I'm happy for the game/IP but holy shit who could have expected that much demand? Will this end up being Platinum's most profitable game ever, lol?!

Before even going on actual sale O_O

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Soooo why wasn't this a system seller when it launched? Is this turn because of Platinum's own increasing popularity rather than the specific game?

Or maybe we're blowing this out of proportion, after all, 9000+ isn't that much in the grand scheme of things? But it has a month left to go soooooO!

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
I
Soooo why wasn't this a system seller when it launched? Is this turn because of Platinum's own increasing popularity rather than the specific game?

Or maybe we're blowing this out of proportion, after all, 9000+ isn't that much in the grand scheme of things?
The game sold something like 200k if i remember ?

Given that the game is a known quantity by now, 9000 backers isn't that much since you are appealing to people who only own a PS4, or a PC, or a Switch and never owned a Wii U before.

I'm sure people are excited because it was only on the Wii U and people still value the Platinum name, and the goals are very low, no dumb 2 million dollars for 1 platform type of crap.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, 200k aint bad (edit: I dunno if this stands but I read that was after heavy discounts for sure because the game initially didn't shift copies, if that's true then it's very different to Bayonetta). That's Bayonetta 2 level, it sold 300k on WiiU (and then like at least 400k more on Switch). I guess it could have gotten a sequel too in the same way but Nintendo was more interested in Bayonetta. Or maybe even Platinum itself back then. But now they've done two more of those (3 is soon?).

Last edited:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I had the impression that W101 had gained a sort of clout as time went on. People looking for hidden gems on the Wii U to get some bargain bin use from the system. I've only got 3 games for mine. Then there's the scarcity thing, where it was locked away on an unpopular system so most people can't try it. Maybe gives it a sort of minor legendary thing going on. And yeah it's Platinum. I'm curious what people will think of it on Steam. It doesn't feel dated to me except the Wii U controls.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Or maybe we're blowing this out of proportion, after all, 9000+ isn't that much in the grand scheme of things? But it has a month left to go soooooO!
I think the game is not for everyone and I expect a lot disappointment when it gets released.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Man I can't stand the internet today, platinum literally says it's so awesome and gracious that nintendo allowed this but for bayo 2+ and astrail chain you'll have to ask them, they literally co-own all this and this shit doesn't happen often and they consider it an exclusive situation they're so thankful for, trolls are filling every board with cool, this proves them right all along, wait for bayo 3 on ps4 instead of the shitty tablet. It's only gonna make it harder for the next dev who in the past signed off rights to whatever to ever get it back, if a gracious move is twisted into how they don't own shit, it's all timed at best, don't buy their shit.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Does anyone have any link to the said press release? I'd like to know the extent of Dangen's involvement because I don't want them to see any of my money.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't think I'm going to back since I only want the game. I'll wait for it to arrive on Steam.
Yeah, same. I already own it for WiiU so I'm going to sit back and watch how this goes. Maybe they'll add in a special reward bonus I'll want to sweeten the deal

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
What's an exbox? :dana_think:

Currently at $1.4mil AUD

People are just thirsty for a non-exclusive Platinum Games production, I suppose.

Reactions: ISee

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think anytime a game Nintendo and Kamiya were involved in finds its way elsewhere, people are excited. This is Nintendo and Kamiya, after all.

Ultimately, even if this is a cynnical guerilla marketing scheme that has taken off, I think that's no bad thing. It lets people put their money where their mouth is and possibly get extra content made for the game, which is keeping Platinum Games working (again, no bad thing).

Plus it's a godsend for game preservation. I think every single game, especially the great ones, that are trapped on that albatross called the Wii U deserve a second chance on new platforms. I can't emphasise how fucking dreadful, poorly marketed and unappealing that console was, and despite that how so many good games were made for it. They all deserve a second life on successful platforms.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Vice verca, 50K and a release date in two months for switch are really low. Apart from the fact that 50K doesn't even pay a single developer for two months. Especially taking into consideration that kickstarter takes 5% of it too.

Real talk, the port is already in development, likely for a few months and almost done.
They don't need the funding, it's just a preorder scheme to generate more hype
That's what really rubs me the wrong way about that. First, most studios don't kickstart ports. That Platinum somehow thinks we should fund it boggles my mind. Second, this is from a company that couldn't be bothered to patch their game on PC. I'm sorry but I struggle to find how they are deserving of any kind of goodwill whatsoever. Third, the kickstarter is so ridiculously overfunded that they are benefiting way above what the port would theoretically cost. That one isn't really on them but contributes to how distasteful I find this thing.

Reactions: derExperte

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Nier Automata didn't get a patch since SE didn't fund, or authorize, one.

Platinum had no say in the matter.
They still seem awfully comfortable with saying it's not their problem. The state of the release on PC is unacceptable.

The thing that irks me is that at first, Japanese companies couldn't even be bothered to look at the PC. Then they gave us broken ports that people like Durante had to come along and fix. And now they are, in my opinion, abusing kickstarter and asking the customers to pay for it.

What would happen if every company made a ks to ask for money to fund ports? This is flat-out greedy to me.

If I had to guess all of them are mostly done and the real task is smart guerilla marketing ;)
(Not that there's anything wrong with that really)
So long as it's not Astroturfing!

Reactions: xinek and C-Dub

Deleted member 113

Nier Automata didn't get a patch since SE didn't fund, or authorize, one.

Platinum had no say in the matter.
Yeah, sadly, this is all too frequent.

Swenhir, you are right in the sense that this is less a crowdfunding campaign for the ports, but more of a pre-order program, mixed with free marketing, and potentially crowdfunding some additional DLC.
I personally don't have a problem with that (the ports will be released in April, so essentially I'm treating this as a pre-order, that may grant me a free DLC or two), but I understand why other people may have a problem with it.

In all truth, most crowdfunding campaigns are not what they say they are. The funds requested are, with few exceptions, not enough to make a game.
Crowdfunding campaigns are frequently used to gather interest (so that investing partners/publishers may come in with the needed funds), or purely for marketing purposes. At best, they are treated as a interest-free loans.

But, regarding patching, when a company is contracted like Platinum were to work on a title, any work outside of the contract (patches, DLCs, ...) not covered in it has to be paid, and authorized by the publisher.
Not only because, let's be honest, no one works for free, but also patches need to be tested, and it's the publisher that pays for the costs of testing, certification, (...).
I owned plenty of games in the past where developers were interested in working on patches, but publishers weren't interested in paying for further work to be done. Mega Man Legacy Collection was a good example of that, in the sense that the developer and publisher were aware of the problems, the developer was interested in fixing the problems, but they didn't have the "go ahead" from Capcom. A patch ended up being released almost a year after the collection was released, probably because it launched on other platforms.
I also owned other games whose developers actually worked on fixes for free, but patches were never "officially" released (some were "unofficially" released by the developers, sometimes years later), because the publisher wasn't interested in doing anything more with the title.

In the case of NiER:Automata, if there's someone to blame, it's Square Enix, a company that continues to put the minimum amount of effort in their PC ports (with few exceptions).

Reactions: xinek and Theswweet

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
That's what really rubs me the wrong way about that. First, most studios don't kickstart ports. That Platinum somehow thinks we should fund it boggles my mind. Second, this is from a company that couldn't be bothered to patch their game on PC. I'm sorry but I struggle to find how they are deserving of any kind of goodwill whatsoever. Third, the kickstarter is so ridiculously overfunded that they are benefiting way above what the port would theoretically cost. That one isn't really on them but contributes to how distasteful I find this thing.
That's how I felt about the Shenmue 3 kickstarter. To me W101 is basically a preorder, I figure that it'll launch at $40 so I saved $5 on a game I would buy anyway. And there's a risk that the port will be a disaster, but W101 on PC has long been what I figured was unattainable, so I'm ok with the risking a measly $35 (or probably 18,000,000 yen). It's true that this kind of thing is really not what kickstarter is supposed to be for. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with the signal this will send to other pubs/devs that people actually do value these games, and that PC is a huge platform that Japanese studios should treat like a primary audience.

Reactions: Swenhir

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Yeah this is basically a preorder round. I’m just happy for Kamiya, I’m sure he considers this game to be his best or at least his favorite.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Regarding N:E, I understand that the responsibility probably lies with S:E. Platinum still seems to have an entirely unapologetic attitude toward it and at the end of the day, PC gamers are left in the dust. I am also unsure of why Square refused to fund the patch and I'm not sure that Platinum doesn't have some degree of responsibility in that fisco.

Regarding Kickstarter, I'm glad we agree. The thing is that pre-order campaigns don't have backer tiers and this just strikes me as obscene. This isn't a project that couldn't exist without KS and, in the current climate of erosion of trust by companies like Epic, this is another knock on the legitimacy of the funding model that I'd rather avoid.

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

What are the chances of Dangen getting a percentage of that KS money? :dana_think:

I'm still not sure whether to back this or not, but PR work is limited enough so that they've probably been paid half their fee beforehand.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I am also unsure of why Square refused to fund the patch
Because they're Square Enix and their entire PC "strategy" makes fuck all sense.
Remember The Last Remnant? A game that had a perfectly fine PC version for years and then got a remaster for PS4? They removed the "old" PC version from sale but have not provided the remastered version. It's been over a year now and the game still can't be bought on PC for no reason at all aside from "fuck you".
This is the order of ineptitude we're dealing with here.

Platinum may or may not have anything to do with the absence of an Automata patch, but with the absence of evidence and given Square's history of idiocy on PC I'm putting the blame 100% on Square until it has been proven otherwise.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Personally I didnt pledge anything. I’m fundamentally against crowd funding. Especially now that Platinum has Tencent backing them.

Deleted member 113

I am also unsure of why Square refused to fund the patch
It's more common than you think.

It's a very simple logic, really. They don't think it's worth it, money-wise. Basically, they already sold the game during its biggest period (launch), and they don't think the patch will bring additional sales, or they think people will buy it anyway, despite the lack of further patches.

This is sadly nothing new. This was happening 20+ years ago.
And, considering Square Enix's attitude when it comes to PC ports, and post launch support, it's no big surprise.
They only act when the backlash is too big to ignore.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Just making sure you guys know there's a fix for Nier, look up SpecialK's stuff, for proper native resolution rendering and stuff a la D's DSFix. He does others too.

I'm aware you might just be talking about Square's bs regarding the game while already using this thing, just saying. Namco never fixed the original DS, right?

Reactions: Guilty of Being

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Maybe I'm mistaken but all the ports will release in April? The campaign runs 30 days longer. Soooo let's say they didn't hit the PC or PS4 goals until the last day. They'd then hammer out said ports in less than 2 months (not that 3 is more believable)? Including physical releases? Pls. I'm out of the kickstarting games game for good, mostly a load of bollocks these days it seems and I honestly wish one of them will spectacularly implode one day. This obviously isn't nearly as nefarious as SM3 or Phoenix Point but imo does veer dangerously into the direction of pubs/devs taking Timmy's money despite obviously not needing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guilty of Being

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Maybe I'm mistaken but all the ports will release in April? The campaign runs 30 days longer. Soooo let's say they didn't hit the PC or PS4 goals until the last day. They'd then hammer out said ports in less than 2 months (not that 3 is more believable)? Including physical releases? Pls. I'm out of the kickstarting games game for good, mostly a load of bollocks these days it seems and I honestly wish one of them will spectacularly implode one day. This obviously isn't nearly as bad as SM3 or Phoenix Point but does being honest really not work anymore, ppl will only pay up when bullshitted, no matter how obvious?
I think they would release them regardless, just not with the additional goodies they might be offering in higher tiers.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Maybe I'm mistaken but all the ports will release in April? The campaign runs 30 days longer. Soooo let's say they didn't hit the PC or PS4 goals until the last day. They'd then hammer out said ports in less than 2 months (not that 3 is more believable)? Including physical releases? Pls. I'm out of the kickstarting games game for good, mostly a load of bollocks these days it seems and I honestly wish one of them will spectacularly implode one day. This obviously isn't nearly as nefarious as SM3 or Phoenix Point but imo does veer dangerously into the direction of pubs/devs taking Timmy's money despite obviously not needing it.
Considering the interviews journalists did with PG about W101 Remastered were done 4+ months ago, Its likely the ports are already far into development and the kickstarter money is to pay for the rest of development.

50k for a Switch remaster seems a little low and that would explain why.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
derExperte
I get why kickstarter for well established studios is kinda bullshit. The skepticism around Platinum here is totally reasonable, I mean it is BS, they could've stealth dropped W101 and made crazy hype sales. But when I think about all the legit indie successes that actually needed some funding, I think kickstarter is a win overall. The list is huge. I'm happy to have backed 90% of what I've chipped in on.

I think there is a certain fairness here also. People endlessly beg for X studio to port X game or make X sequel. Well, in a way, Kickstarter is a way for people to really put their money where their mouth is. You put your money in a sort of escrow, taking a trivial risk, but collectively adds up to a significant sum. It's a signal. It tells a company that might be risking actual bankruptcy that you're sincere and that others probably are too.

Star Citizen might be the spectacular implosion that you're looking for.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Just making sure you guys know there's a fix for Nier, look up SpecialK's stuff, for proper native resolution rendering and stuff a la D's DSFix. He does others too.

I'm aware you might just be talking about Square's bs regarding the game while already using this thing, just saying. Namco never fixed the original DS, right?
While the fix is great, it doesn't work perfectly on all systems. One of the things that made me drop the game after completing route A was that the game had pretty noticeable stuttering with or without fix (on a system that comfortably exceeds the minimum requirements)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Surely they'll be updating that before release and it was just weird numbers cos he didn't expect to answer tech details in that instance...

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I hope not, I'm fully invested there myself. proudly looks at tiny free ship from some AMD promotion years ago
Talk of implosion surrounding Star Citizen have been there since approximately 2014. For anyone following that project, it does have many problems but implosion isn't a risk among them.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
They stopped responding to comments and won't respond to the question I sent them. They also updated the specs today and it still only says 1080p with "Super Wide."

Rude and disappointing.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
To be fair, I think the idea that a platform can have a number of possible native resolutions, and even variable framerate support is still kind of shocking to Japanese console focused devs. Maybe in another decade or three they'll catch up to that idea

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
To be fair, I think the idea that a platform can have a number of possible native resolutions, and even variable framerate support is still kind of shocking to Japanese console focused devs. Maybe in another decade or three they'll catch up to that idea
Yeah... you're right.

Reactions: Mivey
OP
prudis

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
kinda struggle to see how is paying for horse armor comparable to kickstarting a port of old game from dead platform and how does these two examples have same customers

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I feel some sort of way about this being a port, and then asking fans to pay for it.

But hey, these are the consumers who made horse armor profitable.
Pretty much. I won't blame people for backing it, they do what they want but I find Platinum sleazy to say the least.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
kinda struggle to see how is paying for horse armor comparable to kickstarting a port of old game from dead platform and how does these two examples have same customers
Besides Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land, W101 is on of the last Wii U games left to be ported to the Switch.

I believe that P* should port the game over like they already did with Bayonetta/Bayo2 combo pack, or like Nintendo did with other games like Captain Toad, BotW, DK: Tropical Freeze, etc.

Instead, they're asking the fans to foot the bill, which is analogous to charging for DLC that should have already been in the game to "offset the cost of expensive games development."

Yeah, miss me with that.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This Kickstarter is definitely some guerilla marketing shit that doesn't actually need crowdfunding. I mean, you have to do what you have to do to spin a buck, but I am rather cynical about it all.