|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Finished Undead Murder Farce - highly recommended, it was really good.
Also saw that A Will Eternal's Season 2 ended recently, so I've begun catching up (it's a chunky 54 episodes :cold-sweat: ). Close to the end though!
It's a pretty good adaption of the books with good animation and gorgeous backgrounds.

Also started the Vending Machine isekai out of morbid curiosity, and it's actually not bad? It's played completely straight and somehow gets away with it. Fascinating.

Reactions: ezodagrom and Rin

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
Finished Undead Murder Farce - highly recommended, it was really good.
Also started the Vending Machine isekai out of morbid curiosity, and it's actually not bad? It's played completely straight and somehow gets away with it. Fascinating.
I agree with this.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Please help me find the title of a recent anime, so maybe 1-2 years ago, something like that.
It was set in Japan, something like in the 20's, and there were vampires.

I liked the two episodes I watched.

edit
Mars Red

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Shangri-La Frontier also plans to broadcast 24 episodes for the next 6 months. Production is also really good. This is a good anime season for sure. :blobevening:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Was in a Donghua hole for the last couple weeks, watching a couple dozen episodes of Soul Land (I'm at like episode 120 of season lol) and started Wu Gong Ji. Good stuff. Helps that episodes are shorter than a typical anime episode.

Then decided to take a look at what's up with this season and boy. :sweaty-blob:

Watched Shangri-La Frontier and I'm loving it. The production is amazing and characters are fun. I went straight into the manga afterwards and binged everything :cold-sweat:

Dead Mount Death Play is continuing and it continues to be fantastic.

The Undead Unluck adaption seems to be onpoint as well. Great fun, though unfortunately similar to the manga the beginning has some... questionable stuff. Wich is unfortunate, cause it drops that all completely very quickly and it's definitely a barrier. I mean I dropped the manga as well cause of it until I gave it a 2nd chance due to positive reception afterwards.

Bunch of other stuff where I've read the manga that is airing as well, though they aren't that high priority.

Still need to check out Frieren too!

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Watched Shangri-La Frontier and I'm loving it. The production is amazing and characters are fun. I went straight into the manga afterwards and binged everything :cold-sweat:
Same! Can't wait to see how the anime adopt the first unique monster fight. That was intense in the manga.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I should read vol. 3 of Frieren, The second wasn’t as gut wrenching as the first, but it was still very good.

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Decided to buy the whole damned Old Testament for shits and giggles
because it looks like after the first three individual volumes everything's out of print and going for ridiculous Scalper Prices now.

Time to begin reading the sum literary achievement of Human Civilization.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Feels like I've been watching more anime this season than the rest of the year combined, lol.

Started watching Faraway Paladin Season 2: very, very good.
Started watching Ragna Crimson: very good (I dropped the manga at one point because a particular story beat really pissed me off, but gave it another chance recently and turns out that was just a fake-out...)
Started watching Dark Gathering: also very good so far! (only watched the first 2 episodes at this point though)

Still need to watch Frieren and there are still a few others I'm curious about :cold-sweat:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Honkai and Genshin have made me into an anime-watcher, apparently.

I'm loving Frieren and Apothecary Diaries, and binged through season 1 of Jujutsu Kaisen over Christmas(not sure if I will continue it).

Last night I watched Delicious in Dungeon E1 and loved it so much that I ordered the manga!

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Toei invited the singers for One Piece's first opening and ending theme to sing for the new songs. Knowing how the story is going to develop in this arc, as well as seeing how incredible the animations are, I am hyped for these upcoming OP episodes.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Finished Dark Gathering!
Very recommended and I really hope it gets a season 2, because it basically ends with a setup to the next big arc.

It's weird combination of horror and battle shonen with proxy battles, but it fucking works.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
So I just found out about Pariah Nexus by random, and like it. Need more warhammer stuff tbh.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Watched the first 2 episodes of Sengoku Youko and... is this shaking up to be an actual competent Mizukami adaption that even has good visuals!?
It's set to be 3 cours (37 episodes), which should be enough to adapt the full manga without going hypersonic.
What a time to be alive. :cryblob:

Banger OP too

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
When Frieren ends, I don't think I'll have any use for Crunchyroll! I keep trying recommendations, but I've only really liked Apothecary Diaries. I may watch season 2 of Jujutsu Kaisen. Maybe.

I have started reading Witch Hat Atelier, which is amazing. I can't wait to see it in anime form!

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Went the Cinema on Saturday to see Gundam Seed Freedom.

So to give some context before I add my thoughts. I never finished watching Seed and I have never seen Destiny. I did generally enjoy Seed up until the character Flay started to play a more prominent role in the series. And, while I understand why they portrayed her that way, just something about her really irritated me to the point of just dropping the series. Plus I do tend to prefer the stuff based and set around the original settings (I think 008th MS Team is probably my favourite of the lot).

So this means that about 70% of the cast meant nothing to me. Hell even the main girl, Lacus, was barely introduced at this point.

So I went to see it with a few mates, the last time I went to see an anime at the Cinema was Monoke Hime (would love to see more of the older Miyazaki classics at the Cinema).

On the whole, I really enjoyed the film. The CGI for the mechs was well done and didn't stand out too much. I am sure some of the earlier character stuff would have had more of an impact if I had actually seen the rest of the series (such as Kira and Lacus relationship). But in general I was there to watch the mechs beat the crap out of each other.

So there where a couple of downsides. Some of the action was confusing to watch. The main issue is that I am used to the Gundam's being fairly rare in univers and the main enemy mechs being things like the Zaku. So when both sides have Gundams it could be difficult to see who was who (except the blue and white one, that's always the good guy).

There was also some fanservice in there as well which I am not used to in a Gundam series (I believe some of the later series are a bit more egregious with this) so it looked out of place. The worst one was Lacus' flight suit in the end fight. Everybody else has a decent uniform flight suit, some armour plates here and there where it would make sense. Not Lacus though. She gets something that makes the plug suits from Evangelion look baggy and loose. Look, don't get me wrong, I am not generally against fan service and I know it something that seems to happen a lot in anime. But this just stood out because of everything else looking (i don't want to use the word grounded in a mech series, but) grounded.

Anyway, it did do one job well, it got me wanting to go and watch some Gundam Series. Might give Iron Blooded Orphans a shot, nothing like Child Soldiers and the Horrors of War to wash the fan service away...

After I have watched Girls Und Panzer Der Movie

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Finished Frieren. It took me a while to get past the first couple episodes - they are important, but pretty slow. Soon after it got its hooks into me and I've went through the rest in like a week, lol. Excellent stuff.
Tempted to go read the manga now, but also kinda want to wait for another season. We'll see.

Also finished Undead Unluck. Some weird pacing choices in the middle to let them finish at a very specific point, but overall this was still great stuff. It's one of my favorite things running in Jump right now. The beginning is not great, but it quickly turns things around drastically and has just been going from strength to strength since. It's wicked sick.

Sengoku Youko has also been a really good adaption and is heading into the climax of its first arc. I have the popcorn ready.

Next I guess I'll finish up Brave Bang Bravern? I don't think any words I can come up with would actually capture the experience of watching the first couple episodes, but... it's an incredibly gay and cheesy super robot show that inserts itself into a serious real robot show? It kinda rules.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So spent part of yesterday just watching Anime.

After going to see Freedom last week, a couple of friends recommended Gundam Hathaways Flash. I enjoyed this a lot. And a lot more than Freedom. But I think I mentioned that I always prefer the UC stuff. I found the characters a lot more interesting and the three way protagonist idea is kind of cool. Showing us the conflict from three different sides. Big robots smashing each other is always cool and the politics of it weren't dull either.

Then went to the other side of the spectrum with Solo Leveling. I really enjoyed this a lot, I have a guilty please with these power fantasy anime (except Sword Art Online, Kirito ties with Flay for my most hated character in anime and is the main reason I won't watch any SWO stuff just on the faint chance he might make an appearence) but I do tend to prefer the likes of Bofuri (yay next LN due this month), Kuma, Kuma, Bear or Killing Slimes. But this was pleasantly surprising, The highest praise I can give it is "I watched it all in the span of one day and was annoyed that I have to wait for more".

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Watched the first episode of Train to the End of the World. So many information packed into one episode. I love Mizushima-san work and have a feeling that this show will become a cult classic.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

Grimm Variations. Retellings of Grimms Fairy Tales but with a modern rework. Also seems to go back to the more dark nature of the original fairy tales.

Was interested, but that really peaked when I saw CLAMP are involved.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished watching Ishura and it was very enjoyable. Over-the-top fights with intriguing political drama and characters development. Apparently they only adopt the first book for season 1 and there are 9 books published so far... Oh god another series that I will need to read for the ending.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So, watched the first couple of episodes of Laid Back Camp 3.

So, not sure if it has had a budget cut from previous series, but everything just looks a bit cheaper. The backgrounds look like photos that have been run through an anime filter. The use of cgi is a bit more noticeable. It’s generally used on those more complicated shots like bikes and cars turning, it just looks so much cheaper than it did. Even the main animation looked like a downgrade.

however…. It’s still great to watch, even with all these negatives. The characters haven’t changed, the voice actors still do a great job, and it is nice seeing these stories animated.

as an aside I really need to start reading the next volume of Bofuri. New characters have been introduced and the next event is coming up. I would imagine this volume would be the ending of series 3 if and when it comes.

Ok. Watched the third episode and then rewatched the very first. I think I was overly harsh on the new series. A lot of my complaints are there in the first episode. Maybe a bit better done than the newer series but there all the same.

and with that, I am now probably going to rewatch series 1 & 2 again

Last edited: