|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I came for the Spring anime recommendations, but I got a Zero-Two shrine instead? :wd_zzz:

Gundam is cool though.

Here are my first few picks for the Spring season:

Konoyo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo YU-NO
Yu-No was originally released in 1996 for the PC-98 and later ported to the Sega Saturn and Microsoft Windows platforms without the sexual content of the original version. The story follows the protagonist traveling between parallel worlds to solve the mystery of his parents' disappearance.
If you haven't played Yu-No before, well, you should. Most modern Visual Novels today takes its cue from Yu-No.
https://www.funimation.com/shows/yu-no-a-girl-who-chants-love-at-the-bound-of-this-world/

Fairy Gone
A world where fairies possess and reside within animals, granting them special powers. By surgically removing and transplanting the organs of a possessed animal into a human, humans can partially summon the fairy and use it as a weapon. Eventually, such individuals were used for war, and were called "Fairy Soldiers."
Super pretty looking anime from P.A. Works. I'm pretty sure human weapon trope has been done a million times over by this stage, but the story kinda interesting so...

Shoumetsu Toshi
Yuki is a young woman who is said to be the only person left alive from a town after a cataclysmic event, and Takuya is a loner and a smuggler. Together, with the letter left by Yuki's father, they go toward the devastated town, now called Lost, but unexpected obstacles stand in their path.
It's kind of weird seeing MADHOUSE adapting anime sourced from a game, but this has idols so probably this will be up to someone's alley.

Will post more recommendation after I watched a few more from this season. I'll leave the obvious ones like Fruits Basket, OnePanMan S2 and Shingeki no Kyojin S3 since almost everyone will watch those.

Reactions: Hektor

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Awww i was gonna make an ot with the subtitle
Because you truly desired it
:p

Need to catch up and finish up mob psycho 100 later this week. Same with gen:lock

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I like Zero Two but dislike Darling in the FranXX. Am I still allowed to post in here

Anyway, for Spring I'm basically watching only Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba so far.
I loooove the manga.

Kamen Rider basically ruined my entire weekly anime watching habit, so I'm now only catching up on Winter, lol.
I'll probably check some other Spring shows out after a few episodes or just watch them come Summer. I've realized it's quite nice to have a completed show available and watch it at your own pace, haha.
Best thread here. Y'all should watch Madoka
If you like Madoka you should watch Thunderbolt Fantasy~

It's a glove-puppetry wuxia show written by Gen Urobuchi.
It rules.
Season 3 currently in development :)

Also, Symphogear. Can't have a magical girl show mentioned without mentioning Symphogear.
It has guns

Swords

Realistic depictions on how to dodge missiles with a helicopter:

A Beef Stroganoff song

Turning K2 into the 3rd highest mountain on the earth.

Oh and did I mention that they sing while fighting. Because they sing while they fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I can't recommend too much newer anime, I really haven't kept up with it since leaving Japan.

Some oldies everyone should check out though: Gunbuster, Diebuster, The Big-O, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Noir, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, and oddly enough I prefer the anime version of Basilisk compared to it's weirdly done manga version.

Reactions: Swenhir and Kvik

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I've got Thunderbolt Fantasy on my radar but I'll wait til it's finished :D

Virix

Dec 6, 2018
Hell yeah!
None of this season's shows seem like an obvious watch. Still following JoJo.

Reactions: Tizoc

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I'm still watching Dororo, been enjoying every episode so far.

And if anyone wants to enjoy a political drama, there's ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka if you're interested.

Need to watch Kimetsu no Yaiba because the manga is pretty great.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
PreCure is the goat mahou shoujo series though.
Precure is the DBZ of Magical Girl shows.
Symphogear is the Gurren Lagann of Magical Girl shows (which does not mean it's as good as that, but certainly escalates and is really over-the-top).
Watching order btw is Symphogear -> Symphogear G -> Symphogear GX -> Symphogear AXZ -> Symphogear XV (which isn't out yet)

Also all the openings are by Mizuki Nana.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Yo what
there's a new Dororo anime?!

I'm usually down for over the top, but female sexualization in anime series turns me off from them 95% of the time.

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
there's a new Dororo anime?!
Dororo was a definite highlight from Winter season (and Spring, if the quality keeps up). It's now at episode 13 out of 24.

MAPPA is on point as always. Although GARO Vanishing Line was kinda derpy at times.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
In case you want to know about promising shows from a season, Sakuga Blog always has interesting previews: Spring 2019 Anime Preview

This part about Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba makes me excited:
5 episodes were finished early on so that they could remix them into a teaser movie of sorts, and at this point about twice as many are already finished.

Reactions: fsdood

Sir Guts

Dragonslayer
Apr 11, 2019
Been enjoying JoJo part 5. Although I’m up to date with the manga but always good to see JoJo anime. In the other hand though, I’m disappointed with OPM s2

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The water in gif 2 looks impressive in a cartoony way
Yeah, I really like how it looks.
I've been wondering since the announcement of the anime, how they'd visualize the water techniques, since they have this peculiar style in the manga as well..
(don't ask me why the spoiler tag squashes the pic)
But I think going by the OP they did a phenomenal job and I can't wait to see the rest.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Will there be a second season of Grand Blue? It's easily the most hilarious anime I've ever watched.

Just finished watching it over the weekend and I was laughing almost every second of it.

Reactions: Katsyo and Kvik

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Some recs.

Crunchyroll adds Yu-No to its Spring lineup.

I watched Sarazanmai and it's a visual feast, just like Ikuhara's other anime. Hopefully it won't take years to get the Blu-ray for western release.

If anyone is looking for an ecchi anime, Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? is dumb fun. No lolis.

Dororo is still pretty damn good. I'm definitely getting the Blu-ray.

I'll post some more later.

:wd_scroll:

Reactions: 「Echo」

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Gave AoT another shot. I half-assed-watched parts of an episode or two when it was airing on Toonami, and was turned off by the setting, characters, and Titan designs. Decided to give it another shot with the second half of season 3 set to air soon. I burned through 46 episodes in like a week and a half or two. Can't believe it myself, but I'm hooked. I still have three episodes left until I'm all caught up. Think I may also give the manga a shot after I finish some other stuff.

Katsyo

Just a soul whose intentions are good
Apr 17, 2019
I can't recommend too much newer anime, I really haven't kept up with it since leaving Japan.

Some oldies everyone should check out though: Gunbuster, Diebuster, The Big-O, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Noir, Shoujo Kakumei Utena, and oddly enough I prefer the anime version of Basilisk compared to it's weirdly done manga version.

Ohh damn, I recently watched Ergo Proxy and I guess that is considered old these days but I was going to recommend even older stuff like Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Juuni Kokuki, Fushigi Yuugi and even damn Van Dread was around the turn of the millenia. I feel old and out of the anime zeitgeist.

Although I do have my brother as a curator and he hasn't failed me yet.

Reactions: 「Echo」 and Kvik

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Ohh damn, I recently watched Ergo Proxy and I guess that is considered old these days but I was going to recommend even older stuff like Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Juuni Kokuki, Fushigi Yuugi and even damn Van Dread was around the turn of the millenia. I feel old and out of the anime zeitgeist.

Although I do have my brother as a curator and he hasn't failed me yet.
Hey man, great recommendations and yeah I know how you feel. 😅 It's been well over a decade since I felt any connection at all to current anime fandom lol. I try to watch a few of the newer things just to see what all the fuss is about and enjoyed quite a few. More often than not though I just rummage through the stuff from my childhood and anime of that time period. (90's - Early 2K.)

I guess some more recent things I enjoyed would be: Psycho-Pass, Madoka Movie Trilogy, Gargantia and Aldnoah.Zero. But even these are quite removed from CURRENT stuff all things considerd lol. I do a much better job at staying on top of Manga at least.

Reactions: Katsyo

Katsyo

Just a soul whose intentions are good
Apr 17, 2019
Hey man, great recommendations and yeah I know how you feel. 😅 It's been well over a decade since I felt any connection at all to current anime fandom lol. I try to watch a few of the newer things just to see what all the fuss is about and enjoyed quite a few. More often than not though I just rummage through the stuff from my childhood and anime of that time period. (90's - Early 2K.)

I guess some more recent things I enjoyed would be: Psycho-Pass, Madoka Movie Trilogy, Gargantia and Aldnoah.Zero. But even these are quite removed from CURRENT stuff all things considerd lol. I do a much better job at staying on top of Manga at least.
Cool, I never really got into Manga although I think every anime is always based on Manga or novels might not be a bad idea to take a look, especially the ones that don't get an anime adaptation. :giggle:

I have seen Psycho-Pass and Gargantia which both were good, albeit the Psycho-Pass system seemed rather ridiculous and Gargantia gave some really strong Waterworld vibes with a sci-fi twist. Have to look into the Madoka and Aldnoah Zero.

I don't really have anything against newer anime either but I don't watch that much anime as a whole so the sheer number is kind of an issue. As said luckily my brother watches pretty much everything and he kinda knows what I like and what I don't so I usually ask him for recommendations.

I for example do really like Grand Blue which was mentioned above and One Punch Man from the newer stuff. Of course I have skipped most Shounen animes due to the sheer episode volume, apart from some Gintama and some Fairy Tail seasons.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018

I see one thing those shows have in common and that is Gen Urobuchi :p

So you totally need to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy that is also written by him (to be fair though, he only wrote the beginning 3 episodes of Aldnoah.Zero and the general concept, and I think Gargantia is similar in that regard).

It's made with puppetry and it rules.

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Heard good things about Violet Evergarden, it's still on my to watch list, but i heard it's very sad and i'm not sure i'm in the mood for it.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I liked VE a lot but it has indeed a lot of sad an emotional moments