|OT| This is the Anime Thread, Darling~~

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Talking about recent animes people should absolutely watch, we cannot not mention Land of the Lustrous!
It's amazing and the current bar regarding the use of CG in anime. It's stunningly pretty (and just gets better and better as it goes on).
Just look at this, and that's just from the beginning!

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I see one thing those shows have in common and that is Gen Urobuchi :p

So you totally need to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy that is also written by him (to be fair though, he only wrote the beginning 3 episodes of Aldnoah.Zero and the general concept, and I think Gargantia is similar in that regard).

It's made with puppetry and it rules.
Talking about recent animes people should absolutely watch, we cannot not mention Land of the Lustrous!
It's amazing and the current bar regarding the use of CG in anime. It's stunningly pretty (and just gets better and better as it goes on).
Just look at this, and that's just from the beginning!
Thunderbolt Fantasy has been on my watchlist for months ever since a friend recommended it to me after noticing the same exact pattern. I like Urobutcher stuff lol. I really gotta try and hunt down the blu-rays somehow.

I've been following the Houseki No Kuni manga for a while, and even that has a nice distinct style. ... Don't really think I could sit through the anime however being that I already know all the major plot beats and such for now. (Same reason I don't watch Shingeki no Kyoujin, cuz I follow the manga instead.)

Heard good things about Violet Evergarden, it's still on my to watch list, but i heard it's very sad and i'm not sure i'm in the mood for it.
I love sad shit and Violet Evergarden is another one that has been sitting on my watchlist for a while. o_O

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I've been following the Houseki No Kuni manga for a while, and even that has a nice distinct style. ... Don't really think I could sit through the anime however being that I already know all the major plot beats and such for now. (Same reason I don't watch Shingeki no Kyoujin, cuz I follow the manga instead.)
I haven't been reading the manga (yet), so I can't say how closely the anime follows it, but I think the Land of the Lustrous should be watched by anyone simply to see how awesome CG can look like if done well.
Since you read the manga it won't be a spoiler for you, just look at this beautiful 1:20 minute(!) long continuous shot without any scene cuts, just pure camera muscle flexing. It's so good.
:wd_rainbow:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I haven't been reading the manga (yet), so I can't say how closely the anime follows it, but I think the Land of the Lustrous should be watched by anyone simply to see how awesome CG can look like if done well.
Since you read the manga it won't be a spoiler for you, just look at this beautiful 1:20 minute(!) long continuous shot without any scene cuts, just pure camera muscle flexing. It's so good.
:wd_rainbow:
As you say it's quite beautiful. Maybe I'll watch the anime adaptation after all. I have a soft spot for artsy things. 😅

Okay you convinced me!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Actually, I'm also behind in GW, I left it when King Crimson first appears.
Ha, I also stopped right after that encounter.
Recently I've been gong back to let episodes pile up or watch completed stuff instead of following a weekly schedule. I like it :)

I do follow Kimetsu no Yaiba weekly though.
Everyone else should too.
If my calculations for the amount of chapters and arcs the adaption will cover is correct, the 2nd half of the show will cover the arc that made me go from "well this is pretty good" to "holy shit this is one of my favorite things ever". Can't wait.

Reactions: Angelo

Angelo

Junior Member?
Dec 21, 2018
Man, these recent JoJo episodes are amazing. It's true that DavidPro delivers. This makes me hyped for Fire Brigade of Flames in July.

Speaking of Kimetsu, i'm going to watch the series until the end then after that, read the manga. First two episodes are great!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Recently I've been itching to rewatch Nanoha, since there's a new one coming out. Figured I'd watch the movies for the first 2 seasons to jog my memory and I've never watched Strikers to completion anyways :D.

BreezyLimbo

Total Waaagh
Apr 18, 2019
I see one thing those shows have in common and that is Gen Urobuchi :p

So you totally need to watch Thunderbolt Fantasy that is also written by him (to be fair though, he only wrote the beginning 3 episodes of Aldnoah.Zero and the general concept, and I think Gargantia is similar in that regard).

It's made with puppetry and it rules.
Oh wow, this looks awesome.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
Oh look, I can actually watch One Punch Man Season 2 legally as it's airing, and I'm more than happy to do so. I normally hate it when there aren't any feasible options to watch something you may be interested in.

This on Tuesday and and a current super-popular non-anime HBO show on Sunday/Monday makes the weeks more exciting than they usually would be.

TomShoe

Ph.D. in Smug Entitlement
Apr 18, 2019
Anyone got any good harem/ecchi anime? Currently in the middle of shield hero. Gotta fulfill my fantasies, pls don't judge

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Anyone got any good harem/ecchi anime? Currently in the middle of shield hero. Gotta fulfill my fantasies, pls don't judge
Here's a few picks from last and current season.

Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? - A student inadvertently got entangled with his teacher in a number of unfortunate (if you can call it that) situation. Hilarity ensues. No lolis. Tag: ecchi

Go-toubun no Hanayome - A tutor got more than what he bargained for when he started teaching a quintuplet. Tag: harem

Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai - A tutor got more than what he bargained for when he started teaching a couple of geniuses. Tag: harem

Reactions: TomShoe

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I don't know why I keep torturing myself with MHA, I clearly don't understand the appeal, yet, for some reason I watched the movie. First of all, why did the entire class ended up on this island? I get that people like Bakugo and all, but I think it would've been better if they concentrated on relationships between Midoriya and All Might. Second, the villain sucked more than Delevinge in Suicide Squad, just who the hell is this guy? He has no personality whatsoever, did they even gave him name, I honestly don't remember. It was nice to see that there're heroes outside of Japan too though. Overall, I'll give it 6/10.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
JoJo is good anime.
I don't know why I keep torturing myself with MHA, I clearly don't understand the appeal, yet, for some reason I watched the movie. First of all, why did the entire class ended up on this island? I get that people like Bakugo and all, but I think it would've been better if they concentrated on relationships between Midoriya and All Might. Second, the villain sucked more than Delevinge in Suicide Squad, just who the hell is this guy? He has no personality whatsoever, did they even gave him name, I honestly don't remember. It was nice to see that there're heroes outside of Japan too though. Overall, I'll give it 6/10.
MHA is generic shonen tropes but with a superhero flavour. Go watch some quality shows like One Punch Man, Mob Psyho 100, JoJo to name a few.

Last edited:

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just personally speaking I don't like Shounen in general. The patterns are way to easy to pick up on.

Namely: Villain shows up > beats up hero > Hero powers up or learns new technique > defeats villain > new villain shows up > repeat.

Also the fact that so many of them drag on for sooo long.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
MHA is generic shonen tropes but with a superhero flavour. Go watch some quality shows like One Punch Man, Mob Psyho 100, JoJo to name a few
Definitely, it helps that OPM and Mob are pretty much parodies which respect the genre at the same time. I guess, I'm just expecting that MHA will start to deliver at some point, but it seems every time something interesting appears on horizon they annihilatate it with tournament or power up arcs.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Definitely, it helps that OPM and Mob are pretty much parodies which respect the genre at the same time. I guess, I'm just expecting that MHA will start to deliver at some point, but it seems every time something interesting appears on horizon they annihilatate it with tournament or power up arcs.
Mob is amazing, but OPM becames too much what it tries to be a parody of, especially the Murata version (I liked the webcomic throughout tho). I'm not even watching Season 2 of the anime because 1) the studio change and worse animation and 2) the material it will be adapting made me drop the manga entirely.

I like MHA a lot, but more the manga than the anime. The anime has generally has pretty bland backgrounds, the villain art is mostly not up to par and ruins some cool moments and Season 1 has abysmal pacing.

Just look at this.

Yeah.

Though if you still don't like it, that will probably not change? It's just a generally competently executed battle shonen with a superhero theme.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Mob is amazing, but OPM becames too much what it tries to be a parody of, especially the Murata version (I liked the webcomic throughout tho). I'm not even watching Season 2 of the anime because 1) the studio change and worse animation and 2) the material it will be adapting made me drop the manga entirely.

I like MHA a lot, but more the manga than the anime. The anime has generally has pretty bland backgrounds, the villain art is mostly not up to par and ruins some cool moments and Season 1 has abysmal pacing.

Just look at this.

Yeah.

Though if you still don't like it, that will probably not change? It's just a generally competently executed battle shonen with a superhero theme.
I like battle shounens, Kenichi and Steel Ball Run are among my favorite manga, MHA just doesn't click with me for some reason. I didn't read the manga though, maybe my beef is with the anime.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm rewatching the whole of XXXmonogatari.
So much questionable content, which I didn't notice the first time around.
So so much questionable content.
Waiting for Chris Hansen to show up at my place.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I'm rewatching the whole of XXXmonogatari.
So much questionable content, which I didn't notice the first time around.
So so much questionable content.
Waiting for Chris Hansen to show up at my place.
Honesty, Bakemono is one of my all time favorites, but by Kizumono I started seriously question if Shinbo into underage girls, too many pantsushots, long legs and boob physics for my liking. Shame, I like his visual style.

Reactions: Knurek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Honesty, Bakemono is one of my all time favorites, but by Kizumono I started seriously question if Shinbo into underage girls, too many pantsushots, long legs and boob physics for my liking. Shame, I like his visual style.
The teethbrushing scene was my turning point.
So much wrongawesome in that scene.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Nowadays I think the novels for monogatari have come outside Japan. They're short and easy reads, depending on how translation went. In the Japanese ones the author is quite famous for word-play, so I'm curious how that would come across in English.

Anyway, if the animated versions are too much fanservice the books are a bit better in that regard. Especially at getting inside Koyomi's head.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
If you see what's the opening shot of the entire series it's easy to expect fanservice lol

Reactions: Routa

Kuroyume

Spokes for the Wheel of Torment
Oct 21, 2018
Nice to have AoT back. That new episode was really suspenseful. It was great.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Here's your weekly reminder that Yaiba is still super pretty.

Had some seriously sick animation again as well.
I'm so happy with this adaption. Can't wait until we get to the really good stuff.

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I just bought tickets for the Dokomi anime con, i hope it's gonna be good.
At least one of my favorite cosplayers will have a booth there 👀

_ _ _

On other note, the first episode of AOTS4 was almost too fast for me, sure technically it's S3P2, but there were 6 months in between, i was not prepared.
_ _ _

Think i'm gonna slowly make myself through Cells at work soon, i like the premise, hopefully the show will live up to it.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I started watching Gundam Origin even though I already seen the movies.

I always love the exchange between young Casval and Kycillia. The depiction in the anime wasn't bad, but I still prefer how it was in the manga for personal reason.

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Anyone got any good harem/ecchi anime? Currently in the middle of shield hero.
Ren`ai Boukun is incredibly stupid if you're looking for a simple harem series, Akiba's Trip: The Animation fulfills both and is very much worth recommending, Rail Wars! is another great show (And some of the best breast animation I have seen thus far), Amazing Nurse Nanako is a short and entertaining series that's an absolute joy to watch, and that's all I got.
Gotta fulfill my fantasies, pls don't judge
Okay?

Last edited:

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Gundam Origin is super awesome. I wish the whole original Gundam show get a remake with similar style and production value.

Excuse me, but why is it that...how should I put this...EVERYONE was up in arms when Lucas "remastered" the original trilogy and Episode I, but, suddenly, that feeling of "preservation" is completely absent in regards to literally everything else?

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I watched both seasons of Thunderbolt Fantasy in the last two days and gotta say that Urobutcher's take on wuxia is pretty good if a bit lacking in character development. The puppets look great, fight scenes are awesomely staged, cinematography is on a cheaper side, but thankfully it's not a full blown live action where it would be a big problem. Overall, it's pretty fun little series that deserves a watch.

I hope there will be a season 3.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I watched both seasons of Thunderbolt Fantasy in the last two days and gotta say that Urobutcher's take on wuxia is pretty good if a bit lacking in character development. The puppets look great, fight scenes are awesomely staged, cinematography is on a cheaper side, but thankfully it's not a full blown live action where it would be a big problem. Overall, it's pretty fun little series that deserves a watch.

I hope there will be a season 3.
Yeah hopefully there's season 3, but I liked season 1 way better. Felt it was more fun then S2 with all the twists it had.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Yeah hopefully there's season 3, but I liked season 1 way better. Felt it was more fun then S2 with all the twists it had.
S1 had better pacing, but I think characterization and villains are better in S2, it felt more like a proper wuxia.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
S2 wins by default because it has a guy fighting with an instrument.

I lost my shit when Rou Fu You fought against the dragon by playing/singing the OP. I live for this stuff.

Still only watching Kimetsu no Yaiba weekly this season, with the occassional batches of JoJo.
Latest Yaiba episode was great again, Ufotable is doing an amazing job, I'm so happy. I can't wait until we get to the real good shit later.

Kamen Rider Drive is amazing. That is all.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So, I've watched a couple of Japanese CG movies and gotta say Japan slowly gets better, Harlock and Vendetta look like decent video game trailers and Kingsglaive is pretty good, nothing spectacular, but pretty good. On the other hand there's still stuff like Gantz:0 and Aramaki's Starship Troopers that kinda awful and clearly about generation behind the modern standards (textures, movement, hair, illumination, facial animation etc.).

I miss the time when Japanese CG was more like cel-shaded animation and didn't try to be realistic, because after Love, Death + Robots a lot of it looks obsolete in comparison with some of the shorts.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Watched recent Godzilla trilogy from Urobutcher, Not gonna say anything about the animation, the work of Polygon Pictures has been beaten to death as it is, but damn it's a boring slog with dumb quasi-philosophical musings (Planet Eater is the worst offender). Zilla VS Ghidorah is awful and I really think Gen was high when he was writing about humanity surviving twenty thousand years in space without finding the habitable world.

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Watched recent Godzilla trilogy from Urobutcher, Not gonna say anything about the animation, the work of Polygon Pictures has been beaten to death as it is, but damn it's a boring slog with dumb quasi-philosophical musings (Planet Eater is the worst offender). Zilla VS Ghidorah is awful and I really think Gen was high when he was writing about humanity surviving twenty thousand years in space without finding the habitable world.
I only watched the first movie, but i can't even begin to describe how it put me to sleep.
Nearly the entire first hour consisted solely of exposition and weird pseudo-science to support it.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I only watched the first movie, but i can't even begin to describe how it put me to sleep.
Nearly the entire first hour consisted solely of exposition and weird pseudo-science to support it.
It's like a 2014 film if it was ugly, had even less Godzilla and worse human characters. It's not even trying to be wacky like most kaiju films instead opting to be as serious as possible while providing some of the worst setpieces in recent years.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Found this on Facebook.
Crunchyroll accidentally got the subtitles for JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5 and Fruits Basket (2019) mixed up, which led to many hilarious moments like these 😂

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I started watching LoGH. Finished My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War - what a start!

Reactions: Kvik

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Wrapped up Monogatari Second Season, onwards to Tsukimonogatari.
Wish the show wasn't so skeevy at times, because when it isn't, it's a great experience.

Also, tried Plexing the thing to my Smart TV... I must say motion smoothing on my 120 Hz screen works amazingly well with something 100% digital, like a Shaft title. Can't imagine it looking good on a classic, cel-drawn anime, but here... It just works.
(Also, 120 Hz anime is something else, all the camera pans are silky smooth. Pity the high refresh rate movies hadn't caught on).