News Total Chaos Director's Cut Beta Released (Doom II TC)

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
A year ago, wadaholic released the original version of Total Chaos, to significant acclaim. However, he had a bunch of content that had to be cut due to time constraints, and this has resulted in a new version which was supposed to release in April this year but got delayed. The Direct's Cut adds a bunch of new enemies, new weapons, and adds a few hours of extra story content. A more polished version is coming in a few weeks with NG+ and bug fixes, but the beta is content complete AFAIK, and I'm pretty sure wadaholic has no plans to further develop it beyond bug fixes since he has other stuff going on.

If you've never heard of Total Chaos before, it's basically a survival horror game in a slightly similar vein to stuff like Penumbra, but with combat that isn't a complete dumpster fire. You have melee weapons, some which break, some which don't, and also firearms. Running away is also a viable tactic at times. Sometimes it's the only sensible tactic.

Total Chaos has a bit of a novelty reputation due to the fact it runs on GZDoom, but looks (and plays) far more sophisticated than your average Doom II-based Total Conversion. Yes, the trickery involved in making the game look and play the way it does despite being built on a 2.5D game engine from 1993/1994 is admirable. But it's a pretty solid horror game in its own right.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
This looks very impressive, like a high res PS2 game. Modders are awesome. I'll check it out, just out of technical curiosity.

Reactions: gabbo and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Will definitely check the final version, because my mind can't square the circle that this is doom2

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
GZDoom isn't a 2.5D engine any more afaik, it's not like this could run as an original Doom 2 wad file. That doesn't make it any less cool, just saying.

Reactions: lashman