Support Trying to compile something for the first time and running into issues, could anyone lend me a hand?

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
I thought I might ask for help here, I found a handy tool for my monitor that I would like to use but sadly it just comes in source form:

Aside from a few times on Linux with step-by-step instructions I never compiled anything in my life but I tried anyway. I installed Msys2 for Windows and the MinGW++ Toolchain and followed the sparse instructions written there which actually compiled and gave me an exe-file although I can't run the program. Windows complains that it isn't a valid program and always errors out with error 0xc000007b. I already opened up an issue on their Github but yeah.

Could anyone lend me a hand?

Dec 5, 2018
I haven't used MinGW or any linux compiler related stuff since uni.

It took me a while to set it all up and I had a bunch of dependency problems (missing dlls).

And then I got that error. After running it throught Dependency Walker (get the 64bit just in case) i realised that it was using some 32bit dll.

I added the to the PATH the path to the 64bit MinGW binaries and it worked.

I know that there is a way to force it to include every library you need to the exe so you don't need to download anything or configure the path, but I can't remember how to do it.

OP
SkyStarblaze

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Thanks for the help both of you!

It looks like the developer is using GitHub Workflows to test the repo.

Check it out here: https://github.com/couriersud/msigd/blob/master/.github/workflows/mingw.yml

If you follow those run commands, maybe it will work for you?

EDIT:
So taking a closer look, the workflow there is using MSYS2 to set up the libraries, that's the pacman commands.
You can find msys2 here: MSYS2
Sadly following the commands made me run into the same issue.

I haven't used MinGW or any linux compiler related stuff since uni.

It took me a while to set it all up and I had a bunch of dependency problems (missing dlls).

And then I got that error. After running it throught Dependency Walker (get the 64bit just in case) i realised that it was using some 32bit dll.

I added the to the PATH the path to the 64bit MinGW binaries and it worked.

I know that there is a way to force it to include every library you need to the exe so you don't need to download anything or configure the path, but I can't remember how to do it.

Okay even just trying to make sense of Dependency Walker had me totally lost. I know how to handle the PATH system in Windows but I'm unsure what I should add there exactly, the path to Msys2 or to the compiler? I'm running the make command directly in the MSYS2 MinGW 64-bit terminal.

Could you perhaps pass me the compiled file?

Dec 5, 2018
Okay even just trying to make sense of Dependency Walker had me totally lost. I know how to handle the PATH system in Windows but I'm unsure what I should add there exactly, the path to Msys2 or to the compiler? I'm running the make command directly in the MSYS2 MinGW 64-bit terminal.

Could you perhaps pass me the compiled file?
Don't worry about dependency walker, it was just that I wanted to confirm if i was running 32bit dll w/ a 64 bit exe or the other way around.

msigd.exe I suspect it will give you the same error, though.

If you have everything installed in their default directories, what you should add to the System PATH is this: C:\msys64\mingw64\bin

• Love
Reactions: SkyStarblaze
OP
SkyStarblaze

SkyStarblaze

Starlit Entity
Aug 20, 2020
Don't worry about dependency walker, it was just that I wanted to confirm if i was running 32bit dll w/ a 64 bit exe or the other way around.

msigd.exe I suspect it will give you the same error, though.

If you have everything installed in their default directories, what you should add to the System PATH is this: C:\msys64\mingw64\bin
Oh I facepalmed just now, I get the issue now! So my file compiled fine but I don't have the required dll-files. It originally complained about them being missing for me so I randomly searched for them and found them scattered in the Msys2 folders. I guess these are wrong then though, But thanks And thanks I added this to PATH now and the program runs!

Now I find out thought that the European variant of my monitor seems unknown to the tool though, oh well too bad.

EDIT: Wait even though it says my monitor is unsupported it still passes the commands through just fine! Looks like I have some macros to make, thanks again! :D

Last edited: