News Undead Citadel Trailer Shows Bone Crunching, Limb Severing VR Melee Combat

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The old teasers didn't show much but it's now looking good with none of the floaty, unrealistic melee of early VR games (which Blade & Sorcery put to shame).
Undead Citadel
"Indeed darkness has befallen our lands, but hey... its not so bad. At least the dead do not cry before I crush their heads in." - Sir Anvil Capheus

This is the first official trailer focused on combat for Undead Citadel, an action-packed title exclusively built for VR that relies on a hybrid physics-driven combat system. To be released further on in 2019 for HTC Vive, PSVR, Oculus Rift, and Windows Mixed Reality.
It kinda looks like Warhammer: Vermintide but with VR gameplay so hopefully it's done well. It's always good to see impactful and physics driven systems in VR.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
yeah, that does look pretty cool ... too bad i don't have a headset (and i can't really use VR anyway - i get nauseous immediately)

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I guess I was lucky to not get any real problems at any point. I only recently got a Rift and other than some awkward feeling I may still get if there's abrupt involuntary movement in the game (for example some horror game I played where the room disappeared around me and my character floated through weird alien space with inactive controls) I've gotten used to all common locomotion methods, from full body to analog stick based to mixed and anything inbetween, whether there's a vehicle or just a player character. But make sure you try it in a good environment at some point, preferably not some public demo but at some person's place who knows what worked, what didn't, what's the best demonstration for someone who hasn't delved into it, how to set up the headset to get the IPD right for your eyes and so on. The First Contact demo you get after you first set up the Rift is a wonderfully polished introduction for the most part as you remain static and just play with stuff around you that show off various mechanics actual games can employ but no real movement at that point.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I guess I was lucky to not get any real problems at any point. I only recently got a Rift and other than some awkward feeling I may still get if there's abrupt involuntary movement in the game (for example some horror game I played where the room disappeared around me and my character floated through weird alien space with inactive controls) I've gotten used to all common locomotion methods, from full body to analog stick based to mixed and anything inbetween, whether there's a vehicle or just a player character. But make sure you try it in a good environment at some point, preferably not some public demo but at some person's place who knows what worked, what didn't, what's the best demonstration for someone who hasn't delved into it, how to set up the headset to get the IPD right for your eyes and so on. The First Contact demo you get after you first set up the Rift is a wonderfully polished introduction for the most part as you remain static and just play with stuff around you that show off various mechanics actual games can employ but no real movement at that point.
yeah, i had a Rift once for like 2 weeks ... played around with various stuff back then .... it's definitely not for me, sadly :( wasn't getting any better after the 2 weeks

OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Aw man. Well you won't see me suggest taking nausea pills just to play like some did, lol, I'd have returned it for sure if I had such issues. That sucks :(

Did you get nausea in First Contact too (or they didn't have that demo back then? I know they've also updated it recently as older YouTube playthroughs I watched did some things differently to how they were when I played it) or only when games used the stick (or whatever) to move?

First Contact (and I guess anything where you just move in real life rather than with gamepad controls) blew me away and was instantly comfortable.

Last edited:
OP
Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ah, okay. Well if you can try it somewhere do that, I don't think it can make anyone sick, maybe it will be the thing to get you hopeful about overcoming it.

I also have to wonder if some of these games could become playable out of VR.

Some games styles are already fine of course, any racing or plane or whatever sim can work in or out of VR without losing much playability, only immersion (and racing fans also say it's easier to play in VR as you get a real sense of the placement of your vehicle in relation to the track and other cars).

But I mean even games with such motion controls, why wouldn't it be possible to play out of VR the way you played something like Red Steel 2 on Wii? It would certainly need a lot of recoding for some systems, adding things like lock-on for combat and more basic, instant interaction with objects, but I think it could work with some good planning and programming for it. Maybe we'd only see that in later high production value console VR games though.

Maybe Ubisoft would do it for a Red Steel 3 on PS5 if Sony stills sells the motion controllers separately to the HMD so even people without VR may get them. For now almost everyone who has motion controllers also has VR to use them with so I guess nobody sees sense in supporting one half even optionally...

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i definitely appreciate when VR games are also playable outside of VR :)