Opinion Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Weerez

Hello, I'm here, I'm waiting
Sep 20, 2018
Super Mario Bros. 2 is the best NES Mario title.

Wario's Woods > Dr. Mario > Tetris

Donkey Kong 64 and Yoshi's Story are fantastic games despite the criticism they receive.

Super Mario Sunshine is better than Galaxy.

The Wii actually has a fantastic library of games beyond the usual suspects like Wii Sports and Mario Galaxy, and has a shit ton of hidden gems.

Sonic Adventure is still a very fun game and hasn't aged as bad as people think.

Super Mario 64 is still the best game ever made.

The original Xbox has the best library of all three Xbox consoles, although the 360 is top class as well.

The 6th generation is probably the overall best in all of console gaming, though I have a lot of love for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th as well.

The N64 is my favorite console, although a lot of that is nostalgia rather than objectivity.

PSP is a fantastic handheld, and while not as good as the DS, doesn't deserve to be thought of as a joke.

What are some of yours?

Alcoholikaust

The Drunk Cat
Sep 20, 2018
Dirty Jersey
Metal Gear Solid 2 was not good- in a list of best Metal Gears it stands ONLY above V which was worse

Horizon Zero Dawn has the most boring open world gameplay in a game-how anyone can make a game about robotic dinosaurs boring is beyond me, but Guerrilla has done so in spades

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Metal Gear Solid 2 was not good- in a list of best Metal Gears it stands ONLY above V which was worse

Horizon Zero Dawn has the most boring open world gameplay in a game-how anyone can make a game about robotic dinosaurs boring is beyond me, but Guerrilla has done so in spades
I concur with both opinions and add that the third person action adventures are getting tiresome as a genre.
Post automatically merged:

If they made an Indiana Jones game as third person action adventure most of the people would call it Uncharted knock-off and that thought pisses me off.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Damn Indiana Jones games being represented in here! I love both of those games! Ha

i knew you would ;) and it's seriously great we can still play the DOS games on PC even after all those years ... they're still absolutely worth playing (and they're both on steam)

Reactions: Nahkapukki

shepcommandr

MetaMember
Sep 21, 2018
Canada... eh?
*cracks knuckles*

Ok, lets do this;
  1. TWD S2 is actually better than S1.
  2. Metal Gear Rising is the best, and only Metal Gear that I'd classify as good, because it was the best mechanically... and had the best narrative.
  3. Spider-man failed both narratively, and managed to make the best part of the game (traversal) feel unfun by the final act of the game. Sunset was Insomniacs better game this gen.
  4. Until Dawn is the best Sony published exclusive this gen.
  5. Uncharted 3 is the best Uncharted.
  6. Games don't age well. If you know what you're getting into, it's fine... but if you ever want your soul crushed, tell a kid to play Final Fantasy 6, or some other classic.
  7. Big the Cat is the best character from Sonic. Including Sonic.
  8. Xbox One has better first party games than Sony this gen. (I just don't like most of them)
  9. Persona 5's cast is better than 4, people just never gave them a chance, because Atlus pushed P4 better.
  10. Portal 2 is Valves only good game.
  11. Assassin's Creed Unity is better than Black Flag, because it's an AC game, rather than this thing that flip flops between 2 themes it never commits to.
  12. Despite it's problems, Street Fighter V is still a good fighting game, and probably the best one this generation.
  13. RMT in single player games is fine, because some people would like to pay to cut corners, and it doesn't break balance in any meaningful way.
  14. Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda, because it's the game that's the least like the rest of the series, which had fell into a series of tropes.
  15. The Knack games are actually some of the best kids games to release this generation.
  16. The Lego games are better for adult fans of the properties, than they are for kids.
  17. Celeste should be the GotY this year.

Reactions: lashman

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
Exclusivity doesn't serve gamers, but instead people trying to sell hardware and shouldn't be celebrated the way that gamers celebrate it.
Tho, to be fair, largely the people this is wildly unpopular with have a strange inability to understand the difference between Exclusivity and "Exclusives".

Last edited:

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Dukrn nukem forever isnt a disaster of game especially after the patches to hold more than 2 weapons. The game also came at a time when everything was trying to be gears of war,halo or call of duty. So it was a welcomed change.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Dukrn nukem forever isnt a disaster of game especially after the patches to hold more than 2 weapons. The game also came at a time when everything was trying to be gears of war,halo or call of duty. So it was a welcomed change.
yeah, i agree ... it really isn't a bad game ... or at least i had fun with it back in the day

Reactions: MegaApple

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
My problem with DNF is that it actually tried to be Halo. The regenerating Ego, initial 2 weapon limit, all that crap was an attempt at being a Halo-esque game. It also didn't really understand what made Duke 3D so memorable (interactivity, jokes that were actually funny back then, etc.).
Of course that I had a lot of hype for DNF, so that probably affects my view of the game and I'll never be able to look back on it fondly due to that (I'd love to get my hands on the 2001 build that the current 3D Realms guys said was actually playable).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
(I'd love to get my hands on the 2001 build that the current 3D Realms guys said was actually playable).
yeah, same ... i wish they'd just release it on steam or something ... maybe as a DLC for Forever ... or the World Tour one ... or something like that

that would be cool

Reactions: Kurt Russell

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
I loved borderlands. I never got into other titles in the IP but I was perfectly happy with my FPS diablo to start .

Frecklestein

Tender, Violent and Queer.
Oct 23, 2018
Dark Souls 2 is the best game in the Soulsborne franchise. So much content, many different builds, the best PvP and probably the least vague in the series when it comes to the story. It offers the most to both casual and core fans of the series and I feel like it does so in meaningful ways.

Chrono Cross is not only one of the greatest games of all time (Xenoblade 2, Majora's Mask, Chrono Cross all swap) it's better than Trigger.

Also I don't think Trigger is all that.

:jj_yap:

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Super Mario Bros. 2 is the best NES Mario title.
This is just blasphemy!

Mine is that PUBG is one of the best games of all time even with all the problems it has now and then... Its the Spelunky of of multiplayer shooters...
I honestly see this game more as a rogue-like than a shooter... and the hate the game gets is just sad at this point
Most fun I had with with my friends online in a decade too!
perfect gameplay loop

It won Giantbombs GOTY rightly so! Every other publication got it wrong tho

:wd_praise:

And Chrono Cross being better than Trigger isn't even that crazy of a opinion... I would support that

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018
This is just blasphemy!

Mine is that PUBG is one of the best games of all time even with all the problems it has now and then... Its the Spelunky of of multiplayer shooters...
I honestly see this game more as a rogue-like than a shooter... and the hate the game gets is just sad at this point
Most fun I had with with my friends online in a decade too!
perfect gameplay loop

It won Giantbombs GOTY rightly so! Every other publication got it wrong tho

:wd_praise:

And Chrono Cross being better than Trigger isn't even that crazy of a opinion... I would support that
I would always catch so much shit for it back in the day. I HAVE been seeing a lot of love for the game lately, and I wonder if it's because folks have just played it past that one time when they were 13 and were pissed the Crono, Lucca and the gang weren't playable. I wish I could think of more examples like that, games that were just attacked, but grew on people over the years-- I feel like Resonance of Fate and Last Remnant are going to end up being like that, especially with their HD releases. Nier/Drakengard got a resurgence in popularity due to Automata's good will as well.

OP
Weerez

Weerez

Sep 20, 2018
This is just blasphemy!
Super Mario Bros. is still a great game 33 years later, but I feel like its concept has been refined and perfected by later 2D Mario games. 2, on the other hand, is still a unique experience today. I'm glad we got this originally unrelated game instead of the "real" Super Mario Bros. 2, which while fun in its own right, is essentially a glorified romhack of the original with much higher difficulty.

SMB 2 is very close to 3 in my eyes, and 3 is one of my favorite platformers ever, but I feel like World was even better than 3 (World is actually my favorite traditional Mario platformer, and I prefer it to all of the NES titles) and expanded even further on the formula with a huge interconnected map with 96 levels and special courses, multiple exits, ghost houses, Yoshi, and improved flying, with the only minor trade-off being less powerups than 3.

But of course it wouldn't be fair to say that 2 is superior simply because later games improved on the formula. No, I have to do look at Super Mario Bros. 2 in comparison to 1 and 3 as if later games in the series don't exist and judge it on its own merits. I love the gameplay of this game so much, with the pick shit up (you can even pick up enemies) and chucking them at foes mechanic being so satisfying. I like digging through sand in "underground levels" and also climbing vines, both of which add verticality to the stages. This game also tried its hand at flying with flying carpets.

I liked finding keys to unlock doors, and it's really cool that you alternate between indoor and outdoor sections of the levels, or how you can use potions to create doors to a darker alternate version of the level, even if just for a single screen. The game also introduced mini games to the series, with a cool slot machine game at the end of levels to give you extra lives. Eliminating the time limit was a great decision, as it allowed for more exploration of the huge stages.

I just love the general feel and theme of this game and its bizarro dream setting, which is made possible by the gorgeous colorful visuals and wonderful soundtrack. The enemies are so weird and well designed, and I still feel that it has some of the coolest bosses in the series (Mouser and Tryclyde are my bois). And last but not least, I just really appreciate the game giving you four unique playable characters, each with their own distinct abilities.

I apologize for the very long critique, but even if you still think my opinion is blasphemy, I hope I did a decent job of explaining just why I love SMB2 so much and why it's my favorite NES Mario.

I wish I could think of more examples like that, games that were just attacked, but grew on people over the years
I feel like that happens to a lot of Nintendo games. Super Mario Bros. 2, Zelda II, The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 8, the GameCube in general, etc.

Last edited:

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018
I feel like that happens to a lot of Nintendo games. Super Mario Bros. 2, Zelda II, The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 8, the GameCube in general, etc.
For sure. I'm just waiting for folks to stop sleeping on double dash so we can return to the best Mario Kart formula. Baten Kaitos from what I understand also fits this, especially with Monolith Soft's success with the Xeno franchise.

Reactions: lashman and Weerez
OP
Weerez

Weerez

Sep 20, 2018
For sure. I'm just waiting for folks to stop sleeping on double dash so we can return to the best Mario Kart formula. Baten Kaitos from what I understand also fits this, especially with Monolith Soft's success with the Xeno franchise.

It's always great to find other intellectuals who KNOW that Double Dash is the best Mario Kart.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Fallout 4 is a very good video game. I could sink another 100+ hours into it if I'm not busy with new releases.

Dark Souls 2 is the best game in the Soulsborne franchise. So much content, many different builds, the best PvP and probably the least vague in the series when it comes to the story. It offers the most to both casual and core fans of the series and I feel like it does so in meaningful ways.

Chrono Cross is not only one of the greatest games of all time (Xenoblade 2, Majora's Mask, Chrono Cross all swap) it's better than Trigger.

Also I don't think Trigger is all that.

:jj_yap:
Are you Durante?

CrazyJuan

Pirate Legend
Oct 9, 2018
The 100 page advertisement that was Nintendo Power did a far better job of bringing me what I wanted than modern games media does. (mostly)

Reactions: Frecklestein

hanmik

A result of the time before Condoms.
Oct 9, 2018
Faroe Islands
- Nintendo Switch is good for only a select couple of games. Zelda and Mario.
- Forza 4 is a great game.. but not a great "racing" game.. it is more a "open world drive around and have fun game"
- Old age makes you a better player.

Frecklestein

Oct 23, 2018