News Using AI to improve video game visuals in (close to) real time

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020

How far off is this from a real-world application? Quoting the original paper:

[UWSL]Our method integrates learning-based approaches with[/UWSL][UWSL] conventional real-time rendering pipelines. We expect our[/UWSL][UWSL] method to continue to benefit future graphics pipelines and[/UWSL][UWSL] to be compatible with real-time ray tracing. Inference with [/UWSL][UWSL]our approach in its current unoptimized implementation[/UWSL][UWSL] takes half a second on a Geforce RTX 3090 GPU. Since G-[/UWSL][UWSL]buffers that are used as input are produced natively on the[/UWSL][UWSL] GPU, our method could be integrated more deeply into game[/UWSL][UWSL] engines, increasing efficiency and possibly further advancing[/UWSL][UWSL] the level of realism.[/UWSL]

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
That's quite impressive, and being able to run at real time as a post processing effect in the game is mind blowing. Let's wait and see if any game implement it in some form in a few years.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Virtual Ruminant

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
That's quite impressive, and being able to run at real time as a post processing effect in the game is mind blowing. Let's wait and see if any game implement it in some form in a few years.
The best news to me is that even at this experimental stage, the image processing step of the (pre-trained) neural network can feasibly run on consumer hardware. For a while I was pretty gloomy about the future, because I thought that image-processing deep neural networks would become the ultimate selling point of cloud-based game-streaming services. I'm less worried now.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The best news to me is that even at this experimental stage, the image processing step of the (pre-trained) neural network can feasibly run on consumer hardware. For a while I was pretty gloomy about the future, because I thought that image-processing deep neural networks would become the ultimate selling point of cloud-based game-streaming services. I'm less worried now.
yup, that's definitely good news

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Besides the image quality, that's the biggest selling point there. Running on consumer hardware can make it easier to being adopted by developers.

• This!
Reactions: lashman