Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I heard Gabe Newell was MeToo'd by his knife collection

OP
Hektor

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I saw Gabe Newell at a grocery store in Bellevue some time ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Volvo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about digital storefront culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it...

Reactions: RionaaM

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Didn't they just increase their take on games that are not hits? Kneecap the indies?
the opposite - decreased it for the games that sell really well

basically - nothing changes for most of the devs

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I once bought a game on Steam and a few months later my dog died. Valve literally killed my dog.

VALVE KILLED MY DOG. I WANT MY DOG BACK GABE, WHERE IS HE? WHERE IS MY FREAKING DOG AGGGHHH

Reactions: Lain and lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
It is frustrating, but to be honest I can't remember a time when being a PC gamer and having to debate console warriors wasn't frustrating. Still, they usually have zero arguments so most normal people following a discussion should logically arrive to the correct conclusion.

Reactions: lashman

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
It is frustrating, but to be honest I can't remember a time when being a PC gamer and having to debate console warriors wasn't frustrating. Still, they usually have zero arguments so most normal people following a discussion should logically arrive to the correct conclusion.
Why even argue? It's about preferences and there's very little point in trying to dissuade someone from their preferred platform or push your own preference. You can discuss the points of interest of course but when it goes to debating it usually just devolves in to empty arguments.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Why even argue? It's about preferences and there's very little point in trying to dissuade someone from their preferred platform or push your own preference. You can discuss the points of interest of course but when it goes to debating it usually just devolves in to empty arguments.
Yeah, the people who trash talking Valve/Steam aren't interested in PC gaming anyway. So there's no merit for use to convince them that they're wrong.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, the people who trash talking Valve/Steam aren't interested in PC gaming anyway. So there's no merit for use to convince them that they're wrong.
most of them are just drive-by shitposters anyway

If they were better at trolling they would have made a mobile game.
i'm sure they'll release it on mobile when the initial release window on steam is done and they balanced it a bit better etc.

Reactions: Kurt Russell

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I argue for two reasons: 1. If the people who know and care about PC gaming don't engage in these discussions, the narrative around the platform will be shaped by those who don't know or care about it. 2. I won't change the opinion of platform warriors but that's not the goal. Platform warriors may be the majority of those posting in a thread but there is a much larger majority of normal people reading a thread. These people are open to reading a solid argument.

I don't care about pushing my preference but I do care about PC gaming being presented as it actually is and not misrepresented. The Valve situation on Resetera is a good example.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I argue for two reasons: 1. If the people who know and care about PC gaming don't engage in these discussions, the narrative around the platform will be shaped by those who don't know or care about it. 2. I won't change the opinion of platform warriors but that's not the goal. Platform warriors may be the majority of those posting in a thread but there is a much larger majority of normal people reading a thread. These people are open to reading a solid argument.

I don't care about pushing my preference but I do care about PC gaming being presented as it actually is and not misrepresented. The Valve situation on Resetera is a good example.
agreed

like i've been saying for the longest times - there's PLENTY of legitimate reasons to criticise volvo (and PC gaming in general) for, there's no need to make up new ones

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Yeah, that's basically my view on it too. If you don't challenge wrong info it eventually becomes "common knowledge" (the recent bad polygon article *cough*)
But I've mostly lost the energy to do that on Era.... I admire everyone who can still do this thread in, thread out.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
You know, Hitler never removed Prey from sale. Gaben did. Which makes Hitler a better human being than Gaben, when it comes to video games. Sure, you can still buy Prey, but it's not the same. It's a totally different game, only sharing the name with Prey.

Also, I want Prey back. I want Prey 2. I need to know what happens with Tommy after that cliffhanger.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
No lies detected.

What's next? Valve paying for exclusive releases or release windows? Apparently it's good for competition, so I'm sure everyone will be just thrilled.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
No lies detected.

What's next? Valve paying for exclusive releases or release windows? Apparently it's good for competition, so I'm sure everyone will be just thrilled.
people would crucify them if they ever tried doing that, lol