|OT| Valve's Steam Deck - OLED refresh shipping to folks

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I managed to get a 512gb oled but I'm still fuming a little about the disastrous first hour again. I got hit with all of the same error messages that I did 2 years ago and I managed to get my order in at about the 35 minute mark (40 minutes for the LCD 2 years ago). If they didn't already have supply ready to go I'd probably have to wait another couple of months like I did last time and all because of screw ups on their end.

Reactions: lashman and C-Dub

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Now I am wondering what to do with my old Deck. I could use it docked to replace the good, (now very) old Steam Link on my second TV. But that TV does not see much usage and the Steam Link even less.
Maybe sell it (local Kleinanzeigen)?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Now I am wondering what to do with my old Deck. I could use it docked to replace the good, (now very) old Steam Link on my second TV. But that TV does not see much usage and the Steam Link even less.
Maybe sell it (local Kleinanzeigen)?
I’m wondering what I’ll do with mine too. Probably give it to my partner.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I don't know, I still plan on selling it but waiting for the launch of the OLED would impact the price. Like, I 'sold' my 256 at 300 euros, maybe it will be 250 euros now.

Or I could give it to my mom and throw Stardew Valley at her. It would be... interesting.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Most if not all people seem to have secured the model they wanted which is great. Valve told the truth when they said they had plenty of stock this time.

• Comfy
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Most if not all people seem to have secured the model they wanted which is great. Valve told the truth when they said they had plenty of stock this time.
Yeah, I think with any future hardware they need to fix at least one of two issues. The damned thing had better have plenty of stock, or they need to stop their store from buckling under the demand and let people get their orders in a logical and fair way.

The combination of the original Deck having low stock, and the Steam store completely shitting its pants, made the whole process feel unfair to people who got caught in 1-2 hour purchase bans and not being able to progress to checkout.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, I think with any future hardware they need to fix at least one of two issues. The damned thing had better have plenty of stock, or they need to stop their store from buckling under the demand and let people get their orders in a logical and fair way.

The combination of the original Deck having low stock, and the Steam store completely shitting its pants, made the whole process feel unfair to people who got caught in 1-2 hour purchase bans and not being able to progress to checkout.
The purchase ban stuff is a long running issue that Steam hasn't deal with for many, many years. I don't really get why Steam is being so incredibly defensive here. For a company that is generally pretty consumer focused, the way that mechanism works is to bother consumers as much as possible, to ensure that no erroneous transaction with problematic payment goes through. My guess would be that any other way would require a ton of customer service workers who look at these problematic purchases and resolve them manually when the system can't. Instead, Steam just kicks you out and if things keep going wrong it just refuses to accept anything from you for hours.
That's an acceptable compromise or a tiny company with maybe a few million customers. It's just clown shoes stuff for one of the largest gaming companies on Earth.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
In july i had to RMA mine because of a burned pixel and they sent It back (A new one) with UPS
We can only hope it’s not GLS. Same company as ParcelForce here in the UK and they are terrible. When I ordered my Dock, the driver basically marked my delivery as “fucker didn’t answer the door” without stopping on my street.

He did this for 3 days in a row before I rang up and played hell with them.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It is here and it is glorious. Initial impressions, can immediately notice it is lighter and all the controls are clicky-er and feel more pleasant. Haptics does feel a lot better and more balanced over my LCD model. Typing on the keyboard feels a lot better too. Unit feels a smidge studier and better put together than my early LCD unit.

Screen is wow...

versus my LCD

Both screens look blacker in person, but the OLED is wayyy blacker. I have zero time to play it untill tonight. I am hosting a friends Thanksgiving. I was actually mid cleaning when the delivery driver dropped it off.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Same here but i'm pretty sure that in Europe they will start shipping on monday
Yeah, something shipping from Europe on Monday doesn’t get into Wales until the middle of the week, especially if they use GLS. Hopefully they’ve switched provider since last year or have a UK warehouse.

GLS passes it to sister company, ParcelForce, who will screw up parsing my address, so it will get loaded into the van and the driver won’t attempt delivery because his computer won’t show my correct address

I then have to log in to ParcelForce and give them the correct address, at which point the driver may deliver it on attempt 2 or 3 depending on when the new address gets synced.

It’s a farce.

So I’m expecting Friday next week. Any sooner and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, something shipping from Europe on Monday doesn’t get into Wales until the middle of the week, especially if they use GLS. Hopefully they’ve switched provider since last year or have a UK warehouse.

GLS passes it to sister company, ParcelForce, who will screw up parsing my address, so it will get loaded into the van and the driver won’t attempt delivery because his computer won’t show my correct address

I then have to log in to ParcelForce and give them the correct address, at which point the driver may deliver it on attempt 2 or 3 depending on when the new address gets synced.

It’s a farce.

So I’m expecting Friday next week. Any sooner and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Does GLS or ParcelForce allow you to specify a pick-up address? Some companies do, and it's often more convenient for me to know I can pick it from a known location than playing the lottery of whether the delivery will be attempted and if not, where they will send it to for me to pick up.

Reactions: d00d3n

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Does GLS or ParcelForce allow you to specify a pick-up address? Some companies do, and it's often more convenient for me to know I can pick it from a known location than playing the lottery of whether the delivery will be attempted and if not, where they will send it to for me to pick up.
With GLS I tried several times to change the delivery address through their website, this only results in package delivery being delayed by one day and still being delivered to the original address. They are just that incompetent.
I just provided my workplace address to Steam this time around. Unless someone steals the package from the reception, there's just a higher chance of me being there at their delivery times.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I believe ParcelForce allow Post Office pickup, for a fee.

If they “attempt” three deliveries then you’ll need to pick up from their depot. In my case, my depot is in the neighbouring town so it’d cost me significant cash to pick up, given how expensive trains are these days.

If it does go to ParcelForce I’m just going to pay the fee and get it delivered to my Post Office.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just saw something in the spec sheet that I think not even the most detailed reviews covered: apparently the OLED Steam Deck has dual ambient light sensors.
I assume that makes it more resilient to screen brightness fluctuations when inadvertently covering the sensor. Really not important, but yet another small minor improvement they really didn't need to make.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Just got my OLED GLS tracking number after ordering in the UK, 6:20pm.
Didn't get mine. But schedule differing between countries notwithstanding, compared to you I think I got mine a good 20 minutes later, so uh.

Reactions: C-Dub

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Mine's only to "label created" so far in US too. Even if supply was fine they still have to process a ton of orders. I was hoping to have it in time for the Holiday here but seems unlikely, but also I'll live :p

• Hug
Reactions: lashman

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Mine should be here tomorrow...
For anyone that has theirs already, would you mind showing that exclusive keyboard theme? I'm just curious.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Still not shipped (to Germany) two full work days after ordering :(
You'll never get it, just accept it at this point and move on with your life. You can't waste away the short time you have on this earth chasing after the past.
Not missing much, I would not use it
I wonder if that's exclusive to the LE or shared by the regular 1TB model as well. Given that it's red, i would guess this is LE specific

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
There is nothing better than that new Steam Deck vent smell.
Sure, the Steam Deck vent smell might be good, but have you ever experienced the sheer bliss of finally scratching that elusive itch you've been resisting for ages?

• Toucan

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Mine is basically stuck in the GLS void. They won’t say where it is, just that it’s on its way to the “final parcel center”, which I assume is my local ParcelForce depot.

No idea how long I’ll be waiting, but it’ll probably get here tomorrow or Thursday.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Oh no.
The Steam Green keyboard looks ugly now because of how saturated the colors are :blobweary:

Got my unit in, I'm really liking how it feels. The haptics are way more punchy, and the screen is really nice. I haven't started a game yet, I'm still setting stuff up since I wanna get it all just right...

Reactions: C-Dub

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Oh no.
The Steam Green keyboard looks ugly now because of how saturated the colors are :blobweary:
I mean, it also looked ugly in the LCD model. That's the whole point. Steam's original look back then was super fugly, even by early 2000s standards.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Oh nice, the new exclusive stuff comes with the old exclusive stuff! I got that DEX keyboard.

I mean, it also looked ugly in the LCD model. That's the whole point. Steam's original look back then was super fugly, even by early 2000s standards.
Shush. Shhuhhshhhshshhhsh.
(I mean it looks weird because of how saturated the greens are)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Just received the ‘we are preparing your Deck for transit‘ email.

edit
Yeah, I’m just waiting for GLS to get the package and the tracking number to be acknowledged.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
As expected, GLS and ParcelForce fucked up my address.

I called them to correct this morning, and they said it’d be delivered tomorrow. Got an email to say it was loaded on the van for delivery today.

How much do you wanna bet I’m picking this up from my Post Office in a week?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Sadly, I wish that was mine.

It's honestly impressive how GLS manages to still beat my very low expectations on how bad a shipping company can be.

• This!
Reactions: Knurek and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Sadly, I wish that was mine.

It's honestly impressive how GLS manages to still beat my very low expectations on how bad a shipping company can be.
Though strangely, when I got my Deck in April 2022, they were actually incredibly fast. Valve shipped it out on a Friday ( I think) and it arrived in Vienna on the next Tuesday or so. I used their website to have it send to a nearby shop for pick-up and they did it with any issues. Seems like the capricious gods of ultra-cheap shipping services were smiling down on me that one time.

But I kinda wish Valve would give you the option to pay extra to use the regular Dutch postal service or any other professional company.