Opinion VR is more interesting than people who haven't tried it think

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
This is kind of a weird thread, but I got my hands on a chinese DK 2 knockoff (Deepoon e2) as a friend who owned it got the real thing and didn't have any use for the headset. Before this I had never tried VR (only read about it/watched videos, since my smartphone isn't powerful enough to try stuff like Cardboard). The headset I got is actually pretty crappy (every time I look at the edges, the picture gets real blurry, and you can see pixels most of the time) but even with those drawbacks, it was enough to make me "believe" in VR.
It's like you don't know how cool it is until you try it, and even though people can explain it to you, it's not the same. I know for a fact that I'll be saving up for the real thing (though considering the prices, the "real thing" for me will be a Windows Mixed Reality headset and not a vive/oculus).

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i only had a chance to play around with DK2 (the real one, lol) for a few hours .... and it wasn't bad ... but it's just not for me - i got immediately nauseous, no matter what demo/game i tried .... or maybe i was just doing something wrong, i don't know :p

OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
i only had a chance to play around with DK2 (the real one, lol) for a few hours .... and it wasn't bad ... but it's just not for me - i got immediately nauseous, no matter what demo/game i tried .... or maybe i was just doing something wrong, i don't know :p
I think I'm somewhat immune to VR sickness. You wouldn't believe how bad the chinese headset is, and yet I've been able to play the beginning of Hellblade, some NOLF 2 with a VR mod, and some Thumper (without any side effects)

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Knowing my luck, VR will either make me sick or give me a headache.
well it certainly did that for me :p 5 minutes in that thing and i was ready to barf

I think I'm somewhat immune to VR sickness. You wouldn't believe how bad the chinese headset is, and yet I've been able to play the beginning of Hellblade, some NOLF 2 with a VR mod, and some Thumper (without any side effects)
damn, son ... you're lucky :(

Reactions: Kurt Russell
OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
well it certainly did that for me :p 5 minutes in that thing and i was ready to barf

damn, son ... you're lucky :(
The funny thing is that I had cash to buy a headset like a year ago (used Rift) but decided against it because I saw reports of nausea, etc. Now that I'm trying this crappy chinese one, I see that I would have been able to use the real thing without any issues.
For instance, the VR mod for NOLF 2 works with the keyboard, so you are moving in an "unrealistic" way and it should cause sickness, but it didn't happen for me.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I agree. I love the immersion and the feel of the games is completely different when you are IN them. Tho I wish they'd make games like Wing Commander and Tie Fighter for it instead of flooding the market with escape room type of games.

OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I agree. I love the immersion and the feel of the games is completely different when you are IN them. Tho I wish they'd make games like Wing Commander and Tie Fighter for it instead of flooding the market with escape room type of games.
Yeah, all the way! I am not a fan of room escape (or horror games) so I'd rather have more space/flight type games. Once I get a real headset, I'll get into Elite once again, and Everspace also seems like a real treat with VR.

iosefe

Refuses to use a custom tag
Sep 19, 2018
Elite is great, i play with a Hotas 4 when i do

and if you like hte DK2, the CV1 is quite the improvment over it. ules they did some weird stuff with your knockoff, i'd expect it to be an improvement

OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Elite is great, i play with a Hotas 4 when i do

and if you like hte DK2, the CV1 is quite the improvment over it. ules they did some weird stuff with your knockoff, i'd expect it to be an improvement
Yeah, to be honest, I expect any modern headset would be an improvement over the one I have right now (though nothing beats free)
If I can manage to scrounge enough money between bills, etc, I'm eyeing a Lenovo Explorer, as it's both cheaper than the Rift/Vive and considerably simpler to use, according to reviews I read.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I own a Gear VR and tried the PS VR once, and Oculus and Vive at a few exhibitions and a VR escape the room game. They are cool indeed, although it gives me motion sickness after a short while. That's why I stopped using my Gear VR (and now that my phone's screen faulty I couldn't use it even if I wanted). But yeah, after playing Rez and Thumper in VR I'd like to get a PC headset eventually.

shepcommandr

MetaMember
Sep 21, 2018
Canada... eh?
I had Daydream VR w/my Pixel XL. It was fine. I just can't seem to get excited for it. It seems like a lot of money to invest in a technology that's only ever going to work effectively for select types of games.
I'm more interested in seeing what they can do outside of gaming. One of the Google Video apps basically recreated a drive-in style feel when you were watching a movie. I thought that was more interesting than most of the games I tried.

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
Having worked on VR here are my thoughts.

• Everyone that came to play our game, from casual to experienced players, they all seemed to really enjoy playing in VR.
  • Immersion is a given, and also everything is a lot more tangible and the sense of space is quite unique. You can pay more attention to details that you tend to overlook in non VR.
  • Nausea and headaches are a common thing in VR and this is more up to the design and execution of the game. This might be a bit better once we get better lenses. But for now its all about camera FoV as well as the motion from rapid to halt as well as velocity. This was an aspect of development that was quite important for 3rd Eye and for the most part was minimized for everyone. There are a few people that are just too prone to this and in their case there was very little we could do. But most people that have had bad experiences when playing our game were surprised at how good the feeling was and how playing for an hour didn't cause them any discomfort.
  • I think people were legit excited about the games and had a lot of fun. The bad part is that right now its a niche circle. You need hardware which is quite expensive and then you need a pretty beefy computer to go along with it. So the casual player will not jump into this ship. A lot of people seem to be really keen on the PSVR. It has its own issues for sure, and you need a PRO rather than a stock PS4. Also statistically speaking most people playing on VR use a controller, they don't use the motion controllers. This takes away a lot of the design of the games and the tangible aspect of it. But its what it is. PSVR seems to be the most popular one with the most following and its entirely because of the price point and it being able to go with a console that is already popular.
  • Things that need to happen. VR needs to be untethered, it needs better lenses, and it needs to work independently from a powerful setup for it to be marketable to the regular consumer. Actually, MS with the Hololens marketed this in a smart way. The prototype is for enthusiasts and creators and the price point pretty much defines that. I guess the next iteration will be more in line for a consumer if the hardware is there at the time.

My 2 cents. I probably have more insight and thoughts on this. But i am distracted. But lots of places are developing for VR. It will be the next thing at some point. Its just limited by some restrictions that i mentioned. But trust me, tons of places doing VR work for hte most part points that it will be a big market at some point.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
also - it would be nice if there were more "sitting" games in VR ... i imagine most people don't have separate rooms they can dedicate to VR ... or even big enough rooms where their PCs are at to really have any use for standing VR ... i know i don't

brau

huh?
Sep 20, 2018
Everyone should play Lone Echo. That's the game that made me go, holy cow, VR can be an awesome experience.

OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Well, I got pissed off at the prices for PS4 games in Argentina, so I sold my console and will use the cash to get a Lenovo Explorer. Will post impressions once the thing gets here (probably in a week or so if I'm lucky). I expect to see a huge improvement over the chinese DK2 knockoff I was using, and this new one also has motion controllers, so I should be able to test more "realistic" stuff as well.

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I love VR, at least with room tracking and all the stuff... Some games feel amazing with it...

My biggest problem is that it's absolutely not drunk friendly at all in its set up process

I failed to get it going last Saturday night, couldn't remember how to get it started cause I hadn't used it in a while , gave up and crawled to my bed... Fix this Gaben!

OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I love VR, at least with room tracking and all the stuff... Some games feel amazing with it...

My biggest problem is that it's absolutely not drunk friendly at all in its set up process

I failed to get it going last Saturday night, couldn't remember how to get it started cause I hadn't used it in a while , gave up and crawled to my bed... Fix this Gaben!
The one I got trades some tracking accuracy for an easier setup process (no sensors, everything is inside the headset). I'll be able to report on whether or not that works out well for me in a week or so (reviews were pretty positive on that feature)

Reactions: Nahkapukki

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
Actually, the vice is super easy to set up... I was literally just too drunk to get it going :p

But putting the sensors into the headset and scan the environment instead having sensors in the room would be of course cooler...
Doesn't the new oculus stand alone thingie that?

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Actually, the vice is super easy to set up... I was literally just too drunk to get it going :p

But putting the sensors into the headset and scan the environment instead having sensors in the room would be of course cooler...
Doesn't the new oculus stand alone thingie that?
I think the Microsoft thingies do it. All of them. External cameras and so on.
Post automatically merged:

What's with the physics being rather good on all VR games out there? Compared to some of the "normie" games almost all have some sort of physics shenanigans.

Last edited:

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I have read a lot of VR news and watched some game-play videos of VR games and it does look cool. There are some very interesting VR games such as Lone Echo, Light Tracer, Robo Recall and Light Tracer.

I am planning to get an HTC Vive (Pro is expensive as hell, lol) for the living room HTPC build that I am currently making. Got some VR supported games on Steam, but I don't know how many games I got on Viveport and Oculus Store.

My Acer Nitro 5 also has Oculus support, though I am not sure about buying an Oculus Rift yet as I don't know how much room it needs to set it up, lol. I am also interested in the Samsng Galaxy Gear VR since I own a Samsung Galaxy S9.

Reactions: Nahkapukki

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I have read a lot of VR news and watched some game-play videos of VR games and it does look cool. There are some very interesting VR games such as Lone Echo, Light Tracer, Robo Recall and Light Tracer.

I am planning to get an HTC Vive (Pro is expensive as hell, lol) for the living room HTPC build that I am currently making. Got some VR supported games on Steam, but I don't know how many games I got on Viveport and Oculus Store.

My Acer Nitro 5 also has Oculus support, though I am not sure about buying an Oculus Rift yet as I don't know how much room it needs to set it up, lol. I am also interested in the Samsng Galaxy Gear VR since I own a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Damn never heard of Lone Echo etc. VR is definitely fun but the games are still a bit on the gimmicky side even tho the headset would be really really good on sim games etc. I think Sony is doing a good job supporting PSVR but it's too bad that they are misers when it comes to releasing games outside of PS4.

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Damn never heard of Lone Echo etc. VR is definitely fun but the games are still a bit on the gimmicky side even tho the headset would be really really good on sim games etc. I think Sony is doing a good job supporting PSVR but it's too bad that they are misers when it comes to releasing games outside of PS4.
I agree with you. We need more VR games that aren't just shooting galleries. The problem, however, is how to make the experience fun without the player feeling any motion sickness (I'm looking at you Robinson The Journey).

OP
Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Small update: I got my Lenovo Explorer today, tried a few games I'd played on the DK2 clone and the difference was night and day (aside from having better lenses, it also displays a higher resolution). Then I switched to Sairento VR (got that one on sale over the weekend) and wowzers, that's the real deal. Independent hand tracking, all the jazz. You can kinda feel like John Wick with some flashy moves or go all crazy cyberpunk samurai. Gonna leave my old batteries charging because the ones that come with the controllers are disposable ones and I'd rather use rechargeables, but in a few hours I'll have more impressions since I also got Onward and Apex Construct.
Post automatically merged:

Caved in and got Space Pirate Trainer and oh boy, it's the real deal for VR. Sairento also gets shooting right, but SPT is on another level thanks to the simple mechanics and the way everything just clicks with you.

Last edited: