Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 13 of 2024)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Today I realize that I made TWO week 2 posts. Because of this embarrassing mistake, I just finished making corrections to all the wrong thread titles. Now that everything is fixed.... New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I am playing Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery on PC. I know, ridiculous name, even characters in-game make remarks on how stupid the operation name is. It is a remake of the very first game developed by the now gacha game Girls' Frontline studio, Mica Team. The original doujin game was considered as a cult classic in China, and Mica Team had been developing this remake during the past few years. There is no gacha or MTX element in-game (other than cosmetic DLC), and although setting in the GFL universe, its story takes place at the end of the timeline so you don't need any GFL knowledge to play this game.

I have put 5 hours into it during the weekend and finished Chapter 1 (each chapter has multiple stages), and I immensely enjoyed my time with it. It is a grid-based TRPG with action point system from (old Sakura Wars titles and) Valkyria Chronicles, where playable characters can take multiple actions during the same turn within the AP quota. Two major elements which set it apart from other games like Fire Emblem are that stealth and consumable items (like turrets, traps and grenades) play huge parts in the game. Instead of being asked to kill everyone on the map, very often players need to achieve objectives utilizing different map tiles and all the resources available on hands. I am currently playing in normal difficulty and during S-ranking some later stages in Chapter 1 through completing optional map objectives I have already felt a bit stressed. Game is difficult and it shows.

Story is interesting so far and being a ex-GFL player I really enjoy the depressing atmosphere in the game. Unlike most Japanese anime games it does not avoid showing blood and killing characters on screen. Main story are presented in visual novel style with full Japanese voice-acting, while in-game the characters are in 2D chibi form but there are story cutscenes with some cool animations. I also really enjoy the opening cinematic.

People following the "What are you currently playing?" threads should know that I rarely write a long post for games, as (1) most of the things I play are pretty mainstream and (2) as I wrote in the main steam thread I was not in gaming mood during the past few months. However, I decided to write a lengthy post for Reverse Collapse because it is really good, but also currently getting review-bombed by the "CN community" due to an alleged NTR accusation in GFL2. I find the whole drama hilarious and totally unfair to the developers, but I am not going to comment further because the whole thing is unrelated to RC. Currently, it is sitting at >90% positive from people with over 2 hours playtime. The quality of this game deserves rightful attention and I wholeheartedly recommend it to all tactics game or anime lovers.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm playing Dragon's Dogma 2.

I'm actually enjoying it a lot. It does quite a few unique things mechanically and the exploration is much more rewarding (to me) than the average open world slop.

Its systems help build interesting tiny moments - just an hour ago or so I was trying to (I'm spoiler-tagging this for people who get as much joy from discovering mechanics as I do, no story spoilers at all) levitate (btw. instant +1 for a game from me when it has levitate) from one rooftop to another to get to a chest. Sadly I barely couldn't make it and thought "Ugh this drop will cost a lot of permanent health" when my main pawn actually caught me. Very cool stuff.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Tried two levels from Wizordum (EA), huge positive word of mouth for this retro shooter with chunky pixels. It… did nothing for me. Not even sure I will continue this playthrough and as it stands I’m not really looking forward the 1.0

It’s eminently sympathetic, big pixels, plenty of colors, it’s a retro bag of candy.
But for now it’s painfully mid and, with the emphasis on exploration, monotonous. With no jump, it is very horizontal and you will excuse me if I find hitting E on each fucking painting, ultimately revealing a secret exactly like in Wolfenstein 3d, frankly underwhelming.

It’s one of those fake 3d games where I can’t really stand the feel of shooting standees and not actual sprites. And more importantly, I think they have work to do for player’s awareness. It is totally possible to be seriously hurt by enemies… only because a couple melee spawned behind you and the feedback of getting hit is not pronounced enough, in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I just finished Cold Steel 3 (posted my thoughts in the CS3 OT I necro-bumped lol) and will move right into CS4 because god damn that was one hell of an evil cliffhanger.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Currently playing Dragon's Dogma 2.

The game itself is fantastic, everything you do feels like a journey and you really have to prepare or your party can be wiped out.

My only negative point would be the performance is pretty rough, hopefully Capcom can iron that out.

I never finished the first game on PS3, but this seems like a proper evolution of those systems using modern tech. Definitely recommended if your PC can run it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm fairly close to finishing Disjunction, and will probably hop back into Filament again once that's done. Not sure how much I have left there.

Reactions: Cacher

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Horizon Forbidden West: I loved the first game, so it was always clear I'd jump on the sequel as soon as it was on PC, and despite it not running on my Linux laptop, where I prefer to play, it runs fine on my Windows PC (my 1070 Ti still going strong for some reason), so Im playing it there for now; and its highly enjoyable to me. This was exactly the "I'm hooked and I want to play this"-game I was waiting for :)
Its also a super beautiful game but honestly, if they changed nothing since the 2017 game, I'd be okay with that.

Baldurs Gate 3: I plan to continue it... but I feel like this is a perfect example of how tastes differ: I love the story and the world, but dont care so much for the gameplay (and loathe the combat, as I mentioned). I know people have said similar things about Horizon, or "the Sony formula" games, but ... thats what I like. If I had BG3s story and world in gameplay like that, I probably wouldnt stop playing it. And I know lots of you would hate that ;)

Saints Row (2022): its an enjoyable romp with some very odd serious tones thrown in, I wonder if there is more of that coming along. It reminded me of Saints Row 2, which seemed unsure if it wanted to be silly or serious, because I remember some parts of that game sticking out like sore thumbs as well, where the tone suddenly shifted (and, if I remember correctly, the "Boss", your player character, acting absolutely horrible for no reason in cutscenes).
But yeah, I like doing a mission or two, throw some open world nonsense inbetween, or just explore the world.

The Sims 3 I threw that in there and in the sale (re)bought some expansion packs to have them on Steam as well, and already ruined some poor Sims lives (what fun it is to visit neighbours, try to take a bath in their house, piss yourself in their livingroom etc)
___

Tried two levels from Wizordum (EA), huge positive word of mouth for this retro shooter with chunky pixels. It… did nothing for me. Not even sure I will continue this playthrough and as it stands I’m not really looking forward the 1.0

It’s eminently sympathetic, big pixels, plenty of colors, it’s a retro bag of candy.
But for now it’s painfully mid and, with the emphasis on exploration, monotonous. With no jump, it is very horizontal and you will excuse me if I find hitting E on each fucking painting, ultimately revealing a secret exactly like in Wolfenstein 3d, frankly underwhelming.

It’s one of those fake 3d games where I can’t really stand the feel of shooting standees and not actual sprites. And more importantly, I think they have work to do for player’s awareness. It is totally possible to be seriously hurt by enemies… only because a couple melee spawned behind you and the feedback of getting hit is not pronounced enough, in my mind.

Oh yeah I played some of this as well. Its fun for a while, but a couple levels were enough for me. It is decidedly very much like Wolfenstein 3D, so my recommendation to anyone would also be: if you want a game like that, this is for you, if thats too limited for you, most likely not.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Just Horizon Forbidden West over the weekend. Was playing on ultra hard but gave up after 5 hours. Restarting on very hard and the game is a bit too easy for my liking. Wish there was an in between where they kept the ultra hard enemy AI on very hard difficulty. Oh well.

The game runs great, plays great and I'm having fun. Just like the first one. Don't know what magic NIxxes did, they did the selective shader compilation on PC but there's no stutter in sight, very cool.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Just Horizon Forbidden West over the weekend. Was playing on ultra hard but gave up after 5 hours. Restarting on very hard and the game is a bit too easy for my liking. Wish there was an in between where they kept the ultra hard enemy AI on very hard difficulty. Oh well.

The game runs great, plays great and I'm having fun. Just like the first one. Don't know what magic NIxxes did, they did the selective shader compilation on PC but there's no stutter in sight, very cool.
Im playing it on Normal difficulty and thats plenty for me ;)

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Chapter 2-2 of Reverse Collapse feels amazing to get through. At the start of the stage players have 3 playable characters to defend a locked vehicle in the south + 3 friendly NPCs to invade an enemy base in the north to unlock the vehicle for escape.

1. Every turn players fight off enemies in waves while watching the scripted events (with dialogues) of those 3 NPCs steadily killing everyone on the way to the base.

2. After a few turns the mini boss starts advancing to the vehicle and now the defending team need to fight him and his goons

3. Once the mini boss reaches the vehicle location and players start eliminating his goons and damaging the mini boss, at the same turn the other team manages to invade the base and unlock the vehicle. Then, they will become playable and the real boss appear.

4. Now you need to control the two teams, one in the south and another in the north, to kill the two bosses (with an optional objective: kill the real boss within 4 turns). The mini boss should be dead within the 1st turn so players can use the defending team to help out the other team to fight the real boss.

After finishing off the boss, the map is now full of enemy bodies and the whole team escape from the scene. The developers did a great job to create the feeling of satisfaction when getting through the stage. (1) Although the main objective is to defend the vehicle, this is actually the first "kill every enemy" stage in the game, and there are many enemies to kill. (2) Our main girl had just learnt a skill from the previous chapter which allows her to damage everyone on a straight line. She is in the defending team and there is a perfect spot near the vehicle for her to use this skill. (3) Those scripted events display the personality of those NPCs (2 of them are new characters) as well as their variety of tactics to fight. (4) Last but not least, the developers adjust the timing of the turns well because there is a sense of danger when the mini boss reaches the vehicle location but the successful invasion in the north immediately turns the tide, then the real boss appears and the sense of danger is again reinforced. The optional turn limit objective also puts much stress on the players.

After getting through this stage, it is safe to say I am very impressed. Handcraft level design is just the best.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Stardew Valley and Elden Ring!

I did not played the previous SV updates so there are a lot of new content to see. In Elden Ring I'm currently in Leyndell.

Reactions: Li Kao and Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Finishing up "Broken Reality" before returning to Final Fantasy VII Remake and along the way i've also started up Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition.
I'd forgotten how much i actually, legitimately enjoyed FFXV.

One question and feel free to bump the proper thread and tag me in but the game is running really nicely however i have a problem with the game's audio but only dialog. In cutscenes and gameplay some lines are clear, some are super quiet and some are a decent volume but have a lot of reverb on them.
I don't have "Spatial Audio" turned on so all i can find is a go-to generic answer saying to set Windows to stereo but i'm not doing that every time i start the game and switching back when i finish. Especially as i am usually doing other things on the PC at the same time.

Anyone got any good answers, configs or apps i can try?

Reactions: Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finishing up "Broken Reality" before returning to Final Fantasy VII Remake and along the way i've also started up Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition.
I'd forgotten how much i actually, legitimately enjoyed FFXV.

One question and feel free to bump the proper thread and tag me in but the game is running really nicely however i have a problem with the game's audio but only dialog. In cutscenes and gameplay some lines are clear, some are super quiet and some are a decent volume but have a lot of reverb on them.
I don't have "Spatial Audio" turned on so all i can find is a go-to generic answer saying to set Windows to stereo but i'm not doing that every time i start the game and switching back when i finish. Especially as i am usually doing other things on the PC at the same time.

Anyone got any good answers, configs or apps i can try?
I don't have the game but a screenshot of the in-game audio settings has a speaker setting at the top, set to Home Theater, can you change that instead of Windows wide setting?

Reactions: lashman and Cacher