Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 15 of 2023)

Dec 5, 2018
Started and finished The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog. It's pretty good for an April's fool game.

Also started and finished Katamari. There's something really charming about a game in which you just have to make a ball bigger and bigger. I'm missing some items in the collection but I'm not gonna bother with that.

Went back to Vampire survivors to get the new unlocks/cheevos that They added at some point.

(Finally) About to Start Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, that I got for like 2€ some time ago.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I finished Ys VIII, for real. What a painful drag. The core plot is not bad, I guess.

Mmh, now what do I have in the oven...
P5R
Paranormasight
Valentia
Lobotomy Corporation
...and I'm pretty tempted to start doing some CHAOOOOOS.

I suppose LobCorp is at risk of being dropped the most, I kinda still want to continue Valentia, but it's more of a matter of 'who has the time ?'
So yeah, risk of drop is 2.

If I don't count MH Iceborne, I tried some hours of it but I am definitely sick of MHW. Maybe I would have better luck with Rise.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I managed to drag myself away from Boneraiser Minions! :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat: I'm saved!!!

That game is like candy coated cocaine, im going to uninstall it while I'm still free of its sinister grasp.

The mercs mode dragged me back to Resident Evil 4 (2023), again. Deliciously arcadey gameplay feel this time around, much different from the main game. A little bit too easy for the vets i think, I was in and out in 30 minutes after unlocking the Handcannon (get an S in all stages with any combination of characters). This allowed me to use the handcannon in my half done Professional playthrough... and hoo boy, even with the infinite HC, Pro in RE4R does not fuck around.

On the console side of things, I bought a physical copy of GrimGrimoire OnceMore for PS5. Its the only Vanillaware game ive never really played extensively (because RTS, ew), but I'm hoping that I'll have more fun all these years later due to my taste in games becoming more refined since I last played GG... or so I hope, lol.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
FML, I'm thinking about starting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 soon.
Can't I fucking play a short game, for a change ?

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Currently playing Atomic Heart, but Im over halfway through. Sniper Elite 5 is next.

FML, I'm thinking about starting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 soon.
Can't I fucking play a short game, for a change ?
I love the Xenoblade Chronicles games, wish there were on PC, but I own them all. Xenoblade 2 was actually my first JRPG ever.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
Played a few CS:GO games after a few years hiatus. Damn. It took me like two hours before I started feeling comfortable and crawled back into a positive kd ratio. Strats and positioning I mostly remembered. But I was having trouble with the timings and a lot of fine movement stuff.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Still Trails to Azure and Muv-Luv. Just wrapped up all the Extra routes, time to jump into Unlimited :evilblob:
Also Genshin 3.6 with a new area.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
The mercs mode dragged me back to Resident Evil 4 (2023), again. Deliciously arcadey gameplay feel this time around, much different from the main game. A little bit too easy for the vets i think, I was in and out in 30 minutes after unlocking the Handcannon (get an S in all stages with any combination of characters). This allowed me to use the handcannon in my half done Professional playthrough... and hoo boy, even with the infinite HC, Pro in RE4R does not fuck around.
It was the same for me earlier today. Also did Mercenaries, got the Handcannon... and resumed my half-done Pro run. I barely managed an A rank (under 7 hours) in a NewGamePlus with the help of the HC infinite ammo upgrade. But I did it and now have a bunch of cool unlocks. :)

Now Im wondering if I should do another run – but anything S+-ranked (where all the other cool unlocks are) would require a fresh playthrough, meaning whilst I'd have my unlocked weapons (Chicago Sweeper assault rifle, Handcannon) available, they wouldnt start with infinite ammo (or, any upgrades).
And without these infinite weapsons, the game really is brutal as hell. I shudder to imagine having to play it on Pro like that. An option is to try to make my way to the first instance of meeting the merchant where I could use the exclusive upgrade ticket (they sell that as DLC) to get the weapons to infinite ammo. The other option is to farm spinels (in-game currency you get by doing side quests), 30 of which also get you one of those tickets...but yeah, very harsh road to get them.

~

Otherwise, I'm still playing The Last of Us.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I finished unlocking the Chicago Sweeper and Ashley's armor in RE4R over the weekend, so I'm going to be attempting Professional S+ this week. We'll see how it goes, since I haven't unlocked the Chicken Hat yet. I've tried a couple of runs, and I've usually been killed by Salvatore in the first big fight.

I tried some Meet Your Maker last week, and I'm debating dropping it. It can be fun, but it feels like it incentivizes players to build and play levels in kind of unfun ways.

I also tried going back to Guilty Gear Strive for the Bedman DLC. He's kind of cool, but that game's servers are completely shitting the bed (and apparently have been for over a month now). Game's borderline unplayable. Not sure I'll play anymore of that this week either.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Finished Octopath II yesterday so I’ve moved on to Resident Evil 4.

Loving this game as much as the original. Modernised gameplay in the RE2 Remake style is exactly what I wanted for RE4.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
It was the same for me earlier today. Also did Mercenaries, got the Handcannon... and resumed my half-done Pro run. I barely managed an A rank (under 7 hours) in a NewGamePlus with the help of the HC infinite ammo upgrade. But I did it and now have a bunch of cool unlocks. :)

Now Im wondering if I should do another run – but anything S+-ranked (where all the other cool unlocks are) would require a fresh playthrough, meaning whilst I'd have my unlocked weapons (Chicago Sweeper assault rifle, Handcannon) available, they wouldnt start with infinite ammo (or, any upgrades).
And without these infinite weapsons, the game really is brutal as hell. I shudder to imagine having to play it on Pro like that. An option is to try to make my way to the first instance of meeting the merchant where I could use the exclusive upgrade ticket (they sell that as DLC) to get the weapons to infinite ammo. The other option is to farm spinels (in-game currency you get by doing side quests), 30 of which also get you one of those tickets...but yeah, very harsh road to get them.

~

Otherwise, I'm still playing The Last of Us.
I managed to get to the midway point of the castle on Pro with my carried over NG+ guns just fine, there were a few frustrating parts sure (post Bitorez Ashley run, cabin scene with two chainsaw ladies) but overall I could still manage.

But the castle has some really, REALLY annoying parts that would have taken an age to get through without the HC - the long three-cranks hallway full of snipers, the section with the red lamp... victory in those places is more or less dependent on a well placed grenade, which is hit or miss.

You also take so much damage in pro that you either burn cash on repairing your body armor, or you burn your already limited healing supplies from all the cheap hits (all the crossbow archers have dead aim, halp). Playing pro with zero upgrades -at all-? That sounds like pure frustration lol

• This!
Reactions: LEANIJA

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished The Last Campfire, remained cozy and a bit sad all the way to the end.

Installed Eternal Threads, going to play that next. Seems like that one completely bombed, only 271 total reviews on Steam. Very positive though, I guess it just failed to stand out in the sea of indie games.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I finished unlocking the Chicago Sweeper and Ashley's armor in RE4R over the weekend, so I'm going to be attempting Professional S+ this week. We'll see how it goes, since I haven't unlocked the Chicken Hat yet. I've tried a couple of runs, and I've usually been killed by Salvatore in the first big fight.
Yes thats exactly what happened to me on a couple attempts yesterday as well. I'm really not sure I can do this ;) Also just feels too brutal to be enjoyable. But maybe I can try to get the Chicken Hat for damage migitation first.

Whats even more annoying is that when youre dying and hit "Resume", it continues to count all the time lost on failed attempts. You have to Quit to the Main Menu and Reload from there. I didnt know this when I did my Professional A (NG+) playthrough – and I bet I lost tons of time by not reloading from the Main Menu (but tbh, that is a very stupid mechanic)

I managed to get to the midway point of the castle on Pro with my carried over NG+ guns just fine, there were a few frustrating parts sure (post Bitorez Ashley run, cabin scene with two chainsaw ladies) but overall I could still manage.

But the castle has some really, REALLY annoying parts that would have taken an age to get through without the HC - the long three-cranks hallway full of snipers, the section with the red lamp... victory in those places is more or less dependent on a well placed grenade, which is hit or miss.

You also take so much damage in pro that you either burn cash on repairing your body armor, or you burn your already limited healing supplies from all the cheap hits (all the crossbow archers have dead aim, halp). Playing pro with zero upgrades -at all-? That sounds like pure frustration lol
I stopped my NG+ Pro run in that cabin where you team up with I-forgot-his-name and get rushed by a million mobs. Upon getting the Handcannon, I continued there and it became so much easier. But yes, even with the HC, there are several really annoying and punishing parts in the castle and healing definitely became a problem for me, I also think it would be super frustrating to do that without any updates.

Reason: missed a word somewhere
Last edited:

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Yes thats exactly what happened to me on a couple attempts yesterday as well. I'm really not sure I can do this ;) Also just feels too brutal to be enjoyable. But maybe I can try to get the Chicken Hat for damage migitation first.

Whats even more annoying is that when youre dying and hit "Resume", it continues to count all the time lost on failed attempts. You have to Quit to the Main Menu and Reload from there. I didnt know this when I did my Professional A (NG+) playthrough – and I bet I lost tons of time by not reloading from the Main Menu (but tbh, that is a very stupid mechanic)

I stopped my NG+ Pro run in that cabin where you team up with I-forgot-his-name and get rushed by a million mobs. Upon getting the Handcannon, I continued there and it became so much easier. But yes, even with the HC, there are several really annoying and punishing parts in the castle and healing definitely became a problem for me, I also think it would be super frustrating to do that without any updates.
I made it past the cabin last night. Brutal is the right word for it.

The village fight feels RNG-heavy, but the real killer is the valley near the start of chapter 2. Lost several runs there and when I did make it out, I had to use every healing item and most of my good ammo.

But if you can get out of the valley, things are pretty breezy for a while. Even the giant fight isn't that bad if you have the gas mask (aim assist on his plagas makes a huge difference, since I play RE games on controller).

But then you get Savage Mutt and the cabin. Savage Mutt isn't too hard if you abuse the roofttops, but it's slow and a major ammo drain, so having to do the cabin afterwards is painful. It's so easy to get attacked from off-screen, get cornered, and just hemorrhage supplies. Even when I made it, it felt bad. And now I'm low on resources again, so doing Bella Donna sisters + Mendez single-segment is gonna be fun fun fun.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Eternal Threads has an interesting gameplay hook, but the pacing is way way too slow and I can't say I'm too interested in the stories they are telling so far.
In some ways it reminds me of Tacoma, where you arrive in a place after some event and are just an observer, looking at the fragments of what happened before everything hit the fan.
But in Eternal Threads you have some points in the events where you can magically alter the choices that people make in an effort to butterfly effect your way to success and save everyone. I'm not far enough in to say if the mechanic is good, so far all the choices have been pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things and kind of just result in a few different conversations, but I guess that's the whole point, small changes that eventually result in bigger changes. There are a few subplots that are intriguing to me right now, but given the rest of the writing so far, I'm not too too hopeful about it either.

But we'll see.

Reactions: Cacher and C-Dub
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I started playing Marchen Forest earlier this week. On the surface the game is a cute indie JRPG starring a beast girl protagonist, but the truth is that it consists of three arcs, while the first acts like a little adventure game and the second is a light dungeon crawler, the third arc is said to be incredibly dark with brutal difficulty.

I am now going through the second arc. Defeated the first boss and difficulty is fairly lenient at this moment. Dungeon is completely hand-crafted and players need to go through floors multiple times in order to be efficient in getting everything behind locked doors. Battle mechanics are easy to understand yet very fun to play with. Story is intriguing and fully-voiced in Japanese. First arc was fairly boring (only 2-3 hours long) but the second arc is the real deal. I am honestly shocked by how good this game is. Also plays perfectly on the deck. Very enjoyable so I am going to stick with it.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've been slowly (and I mean sloooowly) going through Octopath 2. I also replayed Streets of Rage 4 and beat it in one sitting. It still rules.

Reactions: C-Dub and Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Eternal Threads, wrote a little bit about my final thoughts in the blitz thread.

I think I'm going to pause my blitz games for a bit and play Ittle Dew 2 next.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Started the Champion Ballad DLC. Never played it before so the content is completely fresh to me. Already died a few times and the shrines are also much harder. I am loving this!

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started Ittle Dew 2. It's delightful.
Kind of weird that it doesn't display my actual resolution, it only shows the "other" 4K res, but it's not an issue as such. Also no controller specific glyphs, all the buttons are just numbered which is also weird and I don't think I've seen in a very long time.

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
I've been trying the XDefiant beta. On the one hand the game is fun and controls good, has a lot of potential, on the other hand it's an Ubisoft game and I don't trust them or their long term monetization schemes.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman