Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 26 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

My leave from Tears of the Kingdom continues as I am trekking through Danganronpa 1 and Gears Tactics. Reached Chapter 4 in the former and Act 2 in the latter. Although in completely different genre, both are really good games that play really well.

Meanwhile, the funniest game I am playing is... CUSTOMIZING STEAM DECK. Finally installed Decky Loader for themes and oh gosh the main menu now looks so much better! I freaking love this!

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
World of Tanks, continuing the Season 11 battlepass grind.

Mass Effect 1 Legendary edition. Just started this last night. Been a while since i played through the trilogy, this is my first time through the LE. Curious to see what if anything is changed. Also checked out some mods, but mostly just settled for the community patches.

Closed Game. No comment. :p Seishoujo's art is beautiful as ever though.

Zelda BotW via Ryujinx. Still slow going on this...

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Kona. It's alright. 3/4 good game, 1/4 bad game.

It's basically a walking sim/rummaging game with some light danger and survival elements, and heavy mystery and investigation theme. Picking up pieces of information in the world in the form of objects or polaroids you take yourself automatically fills in the protagonists journal, so you personally can't make any wrong conclusions in the end like in the Sherlock Holmes games for example. Your journal is also prefilled with ??? blocks so when you get some info, a block gets filled so you'll always know if there's something you might still be missing.

I really like the premise and the narrator, the game absolutely nails the atmosphere and the beginning. Narrative is mostly interesting for most of the way through, though also slightly predictable in parts. But then the last 25% of the whole game is kind of bad, and the ending conclusion is a wet fart. It also has what feel like some bad design decision with how the state of the world relates to the narration. Basically the day turns to night after certain events and if you haven't done some side stuff before that, it's an absolutely pain in the ass to do them in the dark.

I checked some steam forum discussion about it after I finished and I'm not the only one who felt the same way with some of the game elements, so I hope the devs took whatever feedback they got to heart for the sequel.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Played some demos. Liked:

Can't wait for:

Finished the main story of Control and now midway through the first of two DLC. It's a fun game, tons of lore for an action type of game. But I guess that's Remedy for you. I think this is the first Remedy game I finished since MP2. I really should finished Alan Wake and Quantum Break.

Also played the first few levels of Pharaoh Rebirth+

Really liked it and really surprised with the funny and interesting dialog in the game. It's got a weird choice for a dodge button which you have to press two buttons at once but I guess it's just a product of it's time and it works kinda so no big deal, just weird. Will be coming back to finish it after Control I guess.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Planning to finish Cold Steel IV this week. Only the final dungeon left, and I hope to be done in a couple of sessions.

Also continued playing A Plague Tale Innocence. In Chapter 5 now, and still impressed with the game. I guess the "supernatural" medieval setting is just generally more interesting than TLOU, because despite not liking TLOU much and this game copying it at every turn, I clearly enjoy Plague Tale a lot more so far.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Main game I am playing is ff16, which I will finish.

Then because I have upgraded my CPU finally, I am installing older games that used to force me to play at 30fps to see how it is at 60fps. Won't really do full playthroughs of these, more just a couple hours.
E.g:
Kingdom come Deliverance: used to get to main town and performance would tank.
Battlefield 2042: Gamepass helped to try this as I last played it in the open beta and performance was atrocious.

Also have been transferring my switch games, great to finally play these smooth on Yuzu and at much better resolution.

Reactions: Mivey and Cacher

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Ghostwire Tokyo: Not too bad so far. Seems to be packed with quite a few mechanics to keep me busy in this icon littered openish world. It’s been enough to keep me playing as I’m trying to finish more of what I start these days, but I haven’t reached a point where I can say I’m having fun with it.

Trepang 2 demo: Damn, this feels like an offshoot of FEAR. Absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: Prodigy and Cacher

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not playing anything particularly. Best answer would be Diablo 4. But it's not daily, because it's repetitive as fuck and every time an NPC open their mouth my eyes roll over in the back of my skull.
I started a shit ton of games and just get tired of them super fast. Don't know what's happening. Most games are 'well, it's alright. I guess.'

I have to force myself to resume P5R, I have grown extremely tired of it. I suppose I'm in the base game final dungeon, or maybe the one before that.

Reactions: Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started Moonlighter.
The main combat seems a bit heavy, maybe the animations have a bit more windup frames and priority than I typically like in 2D games, but other weapons may change how I feel about it.
The shop keeping half of the game is a bit tedious and micromanagement heavy, not sure how that's going to go in the long run.

Reactions: Li Kao and Cacher

Sir Guts

Dragonslayer
Apr 11, 2019
Diablo 4 and FF XVI. Switching from PC to console to PC to console is annoying but it doesn't happen a lot :sneaky:

Jonas

Nov 18, 2022
I picked up Elden Ring again and after such a long time I'm starting to wonder if I ever loved the game despite 300hours. Rivers of blood is nerfed and I'm at the end boss on ng30 or something and.. I just hate it, it's awful. I've tried a´bunch of other wepons and builds but I just can't bring myself to play anymore. I doubt the expansion will change my mind.

After deleteing ER I turned on Sekrio, finaly its time to beat the last boss with the kuro charm and bell (?) and wash away that awful taste of ER's shitty boss! But after a year I can't get my ds4 to work with it lol..

Edit: i had to disable my mouse and keyboard for it to work wtf? That has never happened to me in any game..

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Planning to finish Cold Steel IV this week. Only the final dungeon left, and I hope to be done in a couple of sessions.
Just in time for Hajimari ;)

On the other hand, I'm now 3 Trails games behind. Really have to get back to that when I have a bit more time.

Reactions: Mivey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just in time for Hajimari ;)

On the other hand, I'm now 3 Trails games behind. Really have to get back to that when I have a bit more time.
If it makes you feel any better, even after having caught up to the Western releases, I'm still 3 games behind too (Reverie, Kuro, Kuro 2)

And yeah, these games are time sinks. ~130 hours, for Cold Steel III and IV each.

• This!
Reactions: Durante

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Been playing Tears of the Kingdom, it's been successfully keeping me amused when i get home from work each evening. I explore and pootle about doing side quests and things and then i'll get fed up of that and do main quest stuff, then go back to exploring and things. I'm having a great time.

When i finish it i will be returning to Dredge, Signalis and a couple of other games i had on the go before i start in on the games i picked up from Wholesome Games while watching along with Ami from PRISM Project. So FrogSong etc.

( I'd need to get a PS5 or borrow one from a friend but i do intend to play FFXVI sometime soon. )

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Played some more Moonlighter and got my first spear weapon and I'm immediately enjoying the dungeon part of the game more.
The annoyances in the store half are still there though, but once you find the right price for an item, or close enough at least, it's easy to offload those quickly. It still takes time for customers to come in and pick them up though, feels like if they sped it up somehow, cut at least some of the waiting out, I would enjoy it more.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The Bahamut arc (yo) in Final Fantasy XVI was amazing. The story is captivating and big things happen. There are also fights that are magnificent spectacles. I went from "it's fiiiiine" to "this is amazing". Too bad I've read the game falls apart near the end, but right now they've got something great brewing.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
More Moonlighter, looks like you can actually get a thing for your shop that will actually speed up the customers. It's not by much though. I've stopped trying to find the perfect prices for stuff, being in the ballpark is fine, it doesn't seem like money is a huge obstacle overall anyway.