Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 29 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Still playing Gears Tactics and Tales of Vesperia. Not much to say other than progress report: Closing in on the final few chapters of Gears Tactics whereas at the final dungeon of act 1 in TOV. Gears Tactics is testing my patience because of how repetitive it is. No way I will play this again.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Currently in Act 3 of Trails Into Reverie, and having fun. Also been chipping a bit at Yakuza 6. I think the cat-finding minigame is going to make me go insane, they spawn in random locations and often won't spawn at all. And that's before finding the right food they like.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Against all odds, I spent a good chunk of my Saturday playing Exoprimal (on XGP, no way I would have paid full price as I generally dont enjoy online only shooters).

And its... surprisingly fun? The way the game's campaign works is you play online matches, and you unlock data files that helps you piece together the game's larger plot. Its been shockingly engaging so far! If you dont like PVP, you can turn it off completely and the matches are just a race to complete the objectives before the opposing team does (though the option remains to invade the other team's game with a T-Rex).

The thing about EXO is that its for all intents and purposes a hero shooter (like Overwatch) - each mech type has a specific role to play, and if the person playing that mech doesnt play the "correct" way your team is almost always at a huge disadvantage. Its a crappy feeling knowing ten minutes into a game that you pretty much have zero chances of winning (again, just like OW! The memories!), but its all worth it for the hype you feel when you pull it off.

Ive also begun playing Forspoken on Steam, and it seems to run pretty well now (4K60 at high!). DirectStorage support is great, one of the first PC games I've tried that actually loads as fast as a PS5.

And... I'm also having a lot of fun, somehow. I'm a backflipping, shootdodging parkour ninja baby! This game has style for days.

Reactions: Cacher

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
for the last couple of weeks its just been a hodgepodge of games I play for a short while and then hop over to another (I described it better / in more detail before, I think). I started a replay of Cyberpunk in anticipation of Phantom Liberty. I started Baldurs Gate 3 Early Access to get a feel of the gameplay, but dont want to invest too much as saves dont carry over. I played a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur - while I finished that games ages ago, I dont think I played the DLCs? Or maybe I have, I cant remember. I definitely havent played the recent one. I played some Disney Dreamlight Valley. Some WOW. Some Foregone. Some Chips Challenge. Some this, some that. :)

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Completed Gears Tactics. Foundation is solid and fun, but the progression is just too repetitive. The same kind of mission and map keeps appearing non-stop. I wouldn't have minded the repetitiveness if this was an open world game, but this one is a tactics game. Wished the developers have put more thought into level design.

6.5/10

• Sad
Reactions: Arc and Avern

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I've been getting back into Yggdra Union. I've just got 10 missions to go, but some of the recent fights have been tough. :sweaty-blob: Fortunately, I've used almost no items and have a decent stockpile of medallions, and I'm hoping that's enough to brute force my way through the rest of the game.

I'm getting close to all achievements in Halls of Torment. I don't think it's as interesting as Vampire Survivors, but it's hard to stop playing. Its audio is impeccable, and I can't get enough of the rising-scale clinks of picking up exp gems.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Working my way through Dave the Diver. I'm enjoying it but there is a shoehorned stealth section that is terrible. I did appreciate the Metal Gear references at the very least.

Completed Gears Tactics. Foundation is solid and fun, but the progression is just too repetitive. The same kind of mission and map keeps appearing non-stop. I wouldn't have minded the repetitiveness if this was an open world game, but this one is a tactics game. Wished the developers have put more thought into level design.

6.5/10
The tactical layer is absolutely on point and as good as any XCOM game, but the complete lack of a strategy layer means I'll never play it again. I would love a sequel that includes a fleshed out strategy portion.

• This!
Reactions: Stevey and Cacher

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Played a bit more Moonlighter. Finished the main game and am on the DLC now.
It's more of the same as expected, but with a small additional barter mechanic which doesn't seem all that interesting.
The DLC dungeon structure is a bit different too, but I haven't gotten too deep in yet to know exactly how different.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started Regency Solitaire.
It's very similar to Dreamland Solitaire, but Regency came out like 4 years earlier. Now I'm not saying that Dreamland copied the format, but they kind of did.
Obviously Solitaire exists outside of these two games, but the specific mechanics that I at least find unique to these, it does feel rather obvious.

:thinking-blob:

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Finished Wasteland 3. Bugs aside, it's a fun and "short" crpg (~40 hours for me).

Now continuing my on/off Dishonored 2 playthrough and I remember why I left it behind, if it's not locked at 60 or 120 fps, the framepacing just goes out the window.

And I gotta say, other than Rage. the other id tech 5 games just doesn't feel right with it's mouse implementation. Dishonored 2 (void engine which I think is id5 plus), evil within, wolfenstein tno and tob. All feels not responsive enough and "laggy" with a mouse.

The game is still fun though. Going for high chaos with Emily. Probably will finish it now.

Reactions: Mivey and Cacher