Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 36 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I finished the Donkey Kong Adventure DLC of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Fun new mechanics. All three characters are overpowered and the whole main campaign was a cakewalk, but I find the low difficulty very enjoyable. Unfortunately the post-game challenges just turn the game into a puzzle game so I decided against playing them. Already bought Sparks of Hope so I will jump right in for a new adventure this week.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
New Star Rail update, which has been really enjoyable so far (I love these management/rebuild side modes), a little bit of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but mostly Disco Elysium. What a captivating experience.
Oh and I started Resident Evil 7, which means I played until the first save point and bailed. I'm probably going to make like 5 minutes of progress every week.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I finished Remnant 1 DLC, it was alright. Kind of had a more interesting mixed pacing compared to the main game, there's a point in there that if you care about back story and world building, you can spend quite a lot of time just reading stuff at Ward Prime to flesh out the world. Technically the main game has that as well in the lower levels of Ward 14, but proportionally to the other stuff in the main game it's like a drop in the bucket. Whereas in the DLC the shooty bang bang to exploring ratio is in a better balance because the DLC is shorter overall.

Also started and finished A Short Hike. What a delightful game.

And then I also started Mighty Switch Force in the Might Switch Force Collection. Godlike pixel graphics. The running animation in particular is just 👨‍🍳 :kissing-face: .
I'm also going to start either Biomutant or Hellblade for the blitz, installed both last night.

Linkark07

IDKFA
Apr 18, 2019
Continuing with Rise of the Triad Ludicrous Edition. In fact, close to finishing Extreme ROTT (although not in the hardest skill. I'm not a masochist). It has been a ride, indeed.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm still mostly just playing BG3 in coop. 64 hours in we might be getting closer to the end of Act 2 (just guessing).
Obviously a very good game, and so far at least there's really not that much wrong with it when you account for how many moving parts it has. Our worst experience was losing ~30 mins of progress due to a save corruption issue, but that was patched in Patch 2.

I've also been playing a bit of Grime, and I'm still not sure what to make of that one. The setting is interesting and the visual presentation is competent and rather unique, but it's also (by necessity, to some extent, given what they are going for) somewhat bland.
Gameplay-wise, as someone who loves both Soulslikes and Metroidvanias, I don't enjoy the gameplay in this as much as I would think based on the ingredients. My best guess is that while I enjoy more deliberate and stamina-driven combat in 3D Soulslikes, I don't think I like it as much in 2(.5)D. I think I prefer 2D Metroidvanias with much faster and more responsive movement/controls, rather than with more deliberate ones.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started Biomutant and I'm kind of liking it so far. It feels a bit floaty, or something.
Also had to do some ini editing to turn chromatic aberration off.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Spent most of my time over the long weekend on Starfield. It's a Bethesda game in space, but for me that is a huge positive. This one is hitting much harder for me than Fallout 4, and I feel like this is a game I will be modding for years to come. I've been wanting to start a smaller game to play on Steam Deck when relaxing or in bed, and I'm thinking about Ghost Trick.