Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 38 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I hadn't felt that my time was too limited to play a game, until I started Starfield. There are just so many bloody things to do in this game. After over 20 hours into the game, I still haven't touched ship and outpost customization, and I just discovered the Well under New Atlantis is waaaaaayyyyy bigger than I thought. No pressure, I am playing other games in-between, but this game really requires months to finish.

I suddenly had the urge to play a Megami Tensei game, so I started Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore again. Last time I dropped the game around chapter 4 for unknown reason. Already half-way into the second dungeon and it is really enjoyable. I honestly like this game more than the main Persona games because it does not have social sim element.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I'm continuing to (very) slowly make my way through RE7. It's scary :sweaty-blob:
Other than that I've just dabbled in a bunch of games here and there, but without wanting to really commit.
Starting Tuesday it will most likely be time for Nayuta.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I've been playing Sea of Stars. It has some of the most gorgeous sprite art I've seen in a game and I love the variety of locales you visit, but the actual game is merely "okay". The combat is too simplistic and I don't care much for the characters and story. I'll probably drop it whenever the Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 update releases.

I've also been playing F-Zero 99. This game is awesome and will make my GOTY list. My only gripe is that there are only 7 tracks in the game at this moment. There are at least 8 more planned for release, but Nintendo is following the live service model and will drip feed them over the coming months. I would have preferred them simply releasing the whole shebang at once.

Reactions: Rin and Cacher

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I'm attempting to clear some of my backlog before I buy Starfield.

This is a pretty basic arena shooter in the style of Devil Daggers- one map, score attack, gets progressively harder.
I like it.

Played this for a couple of hours.
Decent space fighter, looks nice, story has got me interested, and it doesnt try to melt my PC like Everspace 2 did :V

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Still making my way slowly through Baldurs Gate. In Act 2 now, and just reached Moonrise towers. Act 2 is really a stark change from the previous one, where you were free to roam around a huge map. Still a huge map, but you are initially rail-roaded to get to the tower and stay there (for good reasons too). But I assume there will be will ways to safely explore later down the line.

Also playing a bit of Yakuza 6, I'd say about halfway through. A couple of substories left, and all the big minigames are done too. So far really impressed with this one. It's not as crazy big as Yakuza 5 was, but the story around what happened to Haruka is pretty nice mystery so far.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Started Tinykin on Deck. The good news is that the game runs pretty well on Deck, no fan overdriving or anything, good looking, maybe some rare drops.

The bad news is that it’s profoundly… there. A little more than gently boring.
So yeah, the game is far more of a 3d platformer than a Pikmin like. Big trouble, the platforming is nowhere near as tight as it should. Expect lots of falls.
The game has pretty nice and impressively vertical maps, but it lacks something. Too many chatty npc (in a platformer, ffs), all obsessing over a super uninteresting main plot point.

It does the job, the art style gives the game a sympathetic aura, but at the end of the day it feels a little too formulaic, like busywork.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I haven't played Starfield in over a week, so hopefully I'll get back to it this week. I've been playing Fae Farm, which is really relaxing and I can play it in smaller sessions.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I haven't played Starfield in over a week, so hopefully I'll get back to it this week. I've been playing Fae Farm, which is really relaxing and I can play it in smaller sessions.
Yeah I think I dropped Starfield. I wasn't hooked enough and didn't play for a few days. Not really feeling a pull to go back.
On the bright side it's a game I can totally see me go back to, not like I hated it.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Didn't play a ton last week, been a bit sick and sleeping a lot instead.

But I'm still playing and mostly enjoying Biomutant. It's a real bog-standard open world ass open world game, and I'm here for it. Its lower budget is plainly obvious of course, but I don't mind. It seems it did well enough that the studio is still around, though considering they also happen to be under the Embracer umbrella... :grimacing-face:

Maybe they are far enough into the next project that even Embracer isn't foolish enough to kill the studio now. Better kill them afterwards. :smart-thinking-blob:

I also started Shadowhand. It's neat.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Mostly Deadlink (Respect V and 14 Minesweeper Variants are my endless/long-term games). Got my first (and few more, now attempting hardest difficulty) clear yesterday - mechanically it's excellent, everyone already described it as similar to Doom Eternal and I can't really argue with that, it's fast, intense and has a good amount of movement options (*class dependent but they all have their options, I guess).

What I dislike is permaprogression, I don't like it in my rogueli(k/t)es (unlocking different characters/ways to play is fine) and I don't like it here either. I just don't understand why things like having grenades in the shop or the ability to level up your implants are locked behind some arbitrary goals and a bunch of in-game currency.

After 5-8 hours there's enough options available that it stops being much of an issue but I'd rather just not have it at all. Anyway, even with all that, it's still a GOTY contender for me.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
I finished Diablo 4’s campaign, so that’s going to move to a side game status.

Started playing Tiny Tina’s Wonderland, and I think my main issue is the poor UI. Just eh.

Reactions: Cacher