Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 41 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Nothing change from last week. I am still playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Fights in Tight Spaces. At chapter 5 from the former and still getting to understand the new cards in the latter. Not much to say except I am enjoying both.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Still primarily Biomutant and some Shadowhand here and there.

Biomutant is way way too long.
In a weird way it kind of reminds me of Days Gone. UE4 title that released in a kind of broken state, was mostly fixed with patches, is mid, kind of the most average game you remember playing, is way too long, but still kind of scratches that open world itch.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Finally crossed Starfield off the list after coming home from vacation! Almost 3 whole days of play time... enjoyed myself the whole way through, but I'm also glad to be done with it and play something else.

I'm now 4 hours into a Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 playthrough (for Phantom Liberty, fresh save file) and its really jarring to compare the games back to back. I know theyre going for different vibes and have almost incomparable scope, but this fixed version of Cyberpunk just feels so much more modern. BGS has its work cut out for it when it comes to TES VI, as its never been more apparent that an major overhaul is sorely needed.

Bonus game: I bought Disgaea 7 on Steam Deck, and its effing legit! So, so much fun, a glorious return to form for NIS.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
enjoyed myself the whole way through, but I'm also glad to be done with it and play something else.
This is how I feel about Starfield. Enjoyed it in the end, but glad to be finished. And I don’t think I’d ever play it again.

Reactions: hersheyfan

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Lies of P may be a shameless Souls clone, but it's the best shameless Souls clone I've played. The game oozes quality and some levels have designs that rival a From game. Honestly it's the biggest pleasant surprise of the year for me.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Last month I finally told myself I needed to....actually complete some of the games I buy haha.

So I sat down and started with some short games, completing about 18 games over the past few weeks. Massive shoutout to Frog Detective Trilogy and Adios, both fanatastic little experiences.

Currently playing
The Fairy's Secret, sequel to The Fairy's Song by ebihime. Not enjoying this as much as the first so far.

Dotage, barely played. Got it to work on my Steam Deck finally. I had a user error issue.

Logiart Grimoire, I love this puzzler, but man, am I so bad at the puzzles with all hints turned off. I wish it had a few different markers than the one the game gives you.

Fate/Samurai Remnant, barely scratched the surface, but also because everytime I play I have to drop playiny for whatever and I have to replay the same opening section. :cryblob:

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I'm back playing Genshin Impact. I'd really like to resume my Starfield playthrough, but it has been weeks since I touched it. I wasn't even having a bad time! It just started to lose me.

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
Bad North - been chipping away at the campaign. Ugh it's so hard. Thank goodness for the in-built save-scumming feature. I'm pretty fond of these pseudo tower defense games like Kingdom Two Crowns.

Touhou Mystia's Izakaya - I've been craving a Diner Dash style game and it was on sale. The gameplay loop doesn't seem to have any more surprises in store but for $5 I'm not complaining. The cooking system is pretty creative tbh. The whole lore is lost on me but the art is cute, I guess?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Played through Unsighted from the recent Humble Games bundle. 'twas very good. The secret bosses for the "true ending" were pretty challenging :cold-sweat:.

Also did the two major world quest chains of this newest Genshin update, good stuff as usual. Still more quests and exploration to do.

Started Moonscars as the next one from that Humble bundle. It's alright. Aesthetics are good, world is interesting (and very obtuse), combat seems fine. Sadly they didn't listen to my demo feedback and the UX is still kinda shitty with an annoying overuse of "hold button to confirm" instead of just pressing button...

And since I'm eyeing the current Choice that has 2 Supermassive games, I started Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope to see if I'd enjoy that style (and since it's appropiate for the spoopy month).

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
This is how I feel about Starfield. Enjoyed it in the end, but glad to be finished. And I don’t think I’d ever play it again.
Oh, i would play it again for sure... but not anytime soon, maybe after their expansion drops (I've "paid" for it anyway using the early access thingo they sold).

By then maybe they'll have sanded down some of the other rough edges and added other stuff to do.

Reactions: C-Dub

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Since we finished BG3 I have some more time for other stuff again.

Firstly, a while ago I started playing Romancing SaGa 3 a few weeks back on and off, and it's been a wild ride. I'm not sure how much I'll continue and I probably won't finish it, but it's extremely interesting even just from a historical / game design in general perspective to see the kinds of things this team did on the SNES in 1995. Like a very much open-ended open world structure and story, 8 different playable character perspectives, enemy scaling (yes, I think this was the first game ever to do it?), skill leveling-by-usage and so on.

I also recently bought and started playing Atelier Lulua. Not as much to say here, it's an Atelier game, and I still like them. Runs very well on the Steam Deck, but only with Atelier Sync Fix.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started and finished Chants of Sennaar during the week. It's a neat language "detective puzzle" game.
If you played Heaven's Vault, it's kind of like that, but instead of one language, it has 5 but each has a limited amount of symbols to decode.
The way you lock in your translations is similar to Obra Dinn. Your character draws some pictures in their notebook and you need to match symbols to the drawings, and when you match a full page of drawings they lock in. It's not quite as well thought out as in Obra Dinn, as it's very easy to "abuse" it. Your character only draws the pictures when you have the symbols to match, so you could pretty easily just see what your newest symbols were and brute force the ones you have no idea about.
Though I'm not sure how I would fix it either, so I guess it's not that easy.