Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 48 of 2023)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

Finished Robocop and continuing Poison Control. For the former, I would love to see DLC down the road, and I will surely be there day 1. In fact, I am also hoping for a New Game+ mode so I can jump into the game again with all these late-game overpowered equipment and rain them on creeps. Regarding the latter, the gameplay loop is rather repetitive yet I am having fun with it. It continues introducing new enemies as the game progresses, and the main story is surprisingly intriguing. Somehow I am also enjoying the Japanese voice-acting, which is pretty rare these days as I often take good acting as a given, but the overly dramatic tone from most characters fits the game well.

I have also restarted Marvel's Midnight Suns as I have gotten the DLCs during the sale. Don't remember why I stopped playing a year ago, but I am having fun with it now. Always love card battler, and this one with a 3D space and good production value behind, is a no-brainer for some enjoyable gaming sessions in the foreseeable future. So good.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos
It's there. It does the job, the tactic side is enjoyable, but you can't wash off the feeling of gentle boredom while playing. It's an IP game. Not a bad one, but, uh, yeah...

Reactions: Cacher and Stevey

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I started playing Blasphemous.
I almost dropped it after one hour since it seemed needlessly punishing, but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's not that hard once you get used to it, and it's a pretty well-made take on the "2D Soulslike" formula.

One thing that I personally am getting a bit tired of is so many of these games seemingly being in a competition to out-grimdark each other in terms of setting. Yes, the Fromsoft Souls games are like that, but its not an essential part of the gameplay formula! I'm sure this is just a personal preference, and it probably hit me particularly hard since I just played Lords of the Fallen, but this is like thinking every FPS has to be taking place on Mars with hellspawn because Doom did.

It's worth noting that Blasphemous is also a game that basically takes 0 power on the Deck (you'd think that would be true for all games in this kind of style, but there are huge differences in implementation quality), so you can probably actually get 10 hours of runtime with it out of the OLED Deck.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
One thing that I personally am getting a bit tired of is so many of these games seemingly being in a competition to out-grimdark each other in terms of setting. Yes, the Fromsoft Souls games are like that, but its not an essential part of the gameplay formula! I'm sure this is just a personal preference, and it probably hit me particularly hard since I just played Lords of the Fallen, but this is like thinking every FPS has to be taking place on Mars with hellspawn because Doom did.
Yeah I know what you mean: it doesnt always have to be super dark and gloomy. Thankfully there are some more bright Souls-likes (Asterigos comes to mind), and Im looking forward to that "Italian-inspired" Souls-like, "Enotria"

I'm currently playing mostly World of Warcraft (please please please bring it to Steam, Blizz). And I play a hodgepodge of games inbetween as usual, including:

Tetris Effect: bought this on sale but boy do I not get the hype. I am more than annoyed by all the effects. The sound effects and music I found distracting, as well. I heard there is a hidden "1984" mode, maybe thats a bit less graphically assaulting. I just want to play some Tetris, nothing else. :)

Also played some Diablo 4, quite enjoyable (ignorring all the microtranscations etc), but as I wrote in the Steam thread, I cant stand the click-to-move controls (didnt like them in Baldurs Gate 3 either), so Im using my Steam controller, which makes it a lot more fun instantly.

I played the demo for Twistales, which isnt out until 2025; and it currently Pre-Alpha, but it was a lot of fun. This seems heavily inspired by Alice Madness Returns. You play as Cinderella in a twisted fantasy world; battle, platform and do some light puzzling; its great, and Im looking forward to the full game.

Need to continue Trine 5, Cyberpunk, Lies of P, Baldurs Gate 3 as well...
oh and I played some Half-Life when they released that Anniversary Patch. Still a good game.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started and played through The Roottrees are Dead, recommended. It's a deduction game, could perhaps be compared to Obra Dinn and The Case of the Golden Idol.
The only downside is that the AI generated art quality varies a lot.

Also started The Adventures of Shuggy today. Neat so far. First blitz game for the current blitz. :cold-sweat:

Reactions: Cacher

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
Ratopia: Really great little Indie city builder that is in early access from South Korea.
Geting close to finishing this. i just need to build the end game monuments and some other stuff,. i already finished a hard run.

Legend Creatures: Fun little Indie merge unit x auto battler from China.
The translation is only partial but its not a text heavy game. i picked it up cause i saw some videos of the sequel on youtube which seems like a better and more expanded game. but i like to play them in order. :drinking-blob:

Soulstone Survivors: Bullet heaven games is like drugs. They keep adding stuff to this game and expanding the meta progression. its really fun.
Iv done over 100 of the 250 achievements so far. I do a few runs a day.

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Brutal Orchestra: I was shocked to find out this game released 2 years ago and none of my friends were talking about it. This is a turn-based roguelike but, you can see what all enemies are going to do so it adds an additional strategy later. I'm getting my ass kicked in the 2nd level still and taking breaks between runs, but the game is fantastic. Check out the art if you are a fan of body horror and weird creatures.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Nothing changed, really.
Genshin, Star Rail and Yakuza 5.
Finished Part 1 in Yakuza and am currently busy hunting, lol.

Reactions: Cacher and Rin