• PC (Jul 26, 2019)
Trailer:
Developers: Arkane Studios, Machine Games

Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 76 average - 63% recommended

Critic Reviews

IGN Spain - David Soriano - Spanish - 8.6 / 10
MachineGames continues to raise the overall level of the Wolfenstein franchise, although it could have taken more advantage of the cooperative and there is excessive grinding.

Game Informer - Javy Gwaltney - 8.5 / 10
This side chapter provides a steady dollop of Nazi-massacring fun, especially if you have a pal along for the ride

GaminGuardian - Antonio Gallardo Duran - Spanish - 8.5 / 10
Wolfenstein Youngblood success in presenting a fresh approach to the FPS genre, with a great coop and an interesting story where the daughters of BJ Blazkowicz are looking for him in Paris.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 8 / 10
Despite some big changes to the overall formula, Wolfenstein: Youngblood remains another solid entry in a very reliable series.

Spaziogames - Daniele Spelta - Italian - 8 / 10
Wolfenstein: Youngblood is a new concept for the franchise and the Arkane's hand touches the game design. Not all the innovations fit well with the formula, especially for the RPG elements.

PCGamesN - Chris Capel - 8 / 10
Considering it's 'only' a spin-off, this is a riotous and well-designed entry in the series - however, it's built with co-op in mind. Solo play is fun if flawed, but play with a friend, and you'll both have one of the best shooter experiences of the year so far.Chris J Capel

Guardian - Rick Lane - 4 / 5 stars
The Nazi-splattering franchise returns, with thoughtful level design compensating for a lack of true play flexibility

TrustedReviews - Jake Tucker - 4 / 5 stars
The usual Wolfenstein brilliance is here, and MachineGames have shown they've got a great handle on splattering fascists.

The Games Machine - Daniele Dolce - Italian - 8 / 10
Wolfenstein: Youngblood could be wrongly categorized as a "more of the same", but the many new features make it an indispensable title for fans of the series, even if these new mechanics aren't always without flaws.

PC Gamer - James Davenport - 79 / 100
Youngblood's gorgeous, terrible world is worth exploring, despite a slight narrative and oppressively boring progression systems.

Cerealkillerz - Gabriel Bogdan - German - 7.5 / 10
Wolfenstein: Youngblood is a bold experiment for the series which doesn't fully succeed in what it is trying to achieve. The potential behind the open spaces in the world are instantly thrown over by repetitive tasks and an inconsistent level structure. If you are looking for more Wolfenstein or some quick co-op action with a good story, you'll still have some fun with game.

GameSpace - 7 / 10
Wolfenstein Youngblood is a spinoff of Wolfenstein New Colossus. Like Old Blood, it ditches the in depth story in favor of gunplay and carnage. The core gameplay simply outweighs the story by a large margin. Good graphics and gunplay can only carry your game so far. Fans of the series like it for the story, not the gameplay alone, and thus will likely be as disappointed as I was.

COGconnected - Paul Sullivan - 69 / 100
Wolfenstein Youngblood looks great and has solid shooting mechanics, but misses the mark when it comes to the things that have become Wolfenstein’s greatest strengths.

IGN - Dan Stapleton - 6.5 / 10
Youngblood is aggressively okay, but doesn't come close to recapturing the joy of its predecessor.

Destructoid - Peter Glagowski - 6 / 10
Maybe I just expected too much, but I find myself missing the careful balance of story and gameplay that The New Order had down pat. Youngblood makes plenty of strides forward for this series, but it also takes some steps backward that end up hurting the overall package.

Polygon - Ben Kuchera - Unscored
Youngblood is a meat-and-potatoes first-person shooter where all the systems work well, the enemies provide a brutal challenge, and a friend can come along with you through the whole thing. It seems like it was designed as a relatively inexpensive crowd-pleaser of an FPS, and I will admit that I was very entertained.

USgamer - Caty McCarthy - Unscored
The new Wolfensteins have always encouraged multiple playstyles, but Youngblood is the first time they've actually felt viable.

Ars Technica - Sam Machkovech - Unscored
Buy it if you have an ideal co-op partner, want a simpler co-op alternative to MMO-like shooters, or just really, really like newer Wolfenstein games. Otherwise, proceed with caution.

VG247 - Kirk McKeand - Unscored
Most of its good points are inherited from the last game, and while the excellent level design improvements are welcome, there’s not enough variety to get the most out of them.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Wait for Sale
Video Review - Quote not available

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Was looking forward to it, but seems to be even worse than Colossus. The fact that you apparently respawn with the ammo you had left right before you died is shit.

Will buy on sale.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Was kinda excited for this but with these mediocre reviews and horrible regional prices I think I'll just wait until the winter sale.

Why should I buy now when I can wait to get it cheaper, patched and with RTX support.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if the game sales will suffer from Colossus being on Game Pass. The reviews sure won't help.

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
The fact that you apparently respawn with the ammo you had left right before you died is shit.
Isn't that pretty normal for a co-op game?

Anyway, I notice there's a bit of a contentious divide among Wolfenstein fans. Some people want a stronger focus on narrative. Some people want a stronger focus on gameplay. Since Youngblood is more about gameplay/exploration/blowing up stuff than the narrative side of things, that's alienating people who loved the Machinegames titles for their strong narrative focus. It remains to be seen whether people who want Wolfenstein to be more gameplay driven embrace it for this decision. It's delicate line to walk.
That's... not as good as I hoped for...

What happened with Arkane and Machine games?
To be fair, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood has a score of 76% on Metacritic. This game will likely finish fairly close to that. This is a spinoff game. I think lower scores tend to come with that territory.

Last edited:

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Looks good to me. More Nazi killing ahoy. But then I don't think the new Wolfenstein games are amazing or anything super special, just fun ol' times, their sound design generally let's them down. My favourite Wolf games remain RTCW and Wolf 2009. The hub of Paris in Wolf Youngblood reminds me very much of the hub in Wolf 2009.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Was looking forward to it, but seems to be even worse than Colossus. The fact that you apparently respawn with the ammo you had left right before you died is shit.
Edit: sorry, misunderstood your post. I hated Bioshock Infinite for this as well.

Doesn't this game have no classic save/load mechanism?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

This vid does an amazing job showing everything wrong with this game. I was worried when they said it was a co-op game but what I was not ready for was

• A game light on any story
  • Daily/weekly grind shit
  • Cosmetics
  • A game that has 3 different currencies to purchase said cosmetics
  • bullet sponge enemies because they forced in levels (and honestly probably a result of co-op focus too)
  • the game even has "raids".

So basically I wasn't expecting to get the division 3.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

This vid does an amazing job showing everything wrong with this game. I was worried when they said it was a co-op game but what I was not ready for was

• A game light on any story
  • Daily/weekly grind shit
  • Cosmetics
  • A game that has 3 different currencies to purchase said cosmetics
  • bullet sponge enemies because they forced in levels (and honestly probably a result of co-op focus too)
  • the game even has "raids".

So basically I wasn't expecting to get the division 3.

So long as all that stuff is optional (minus the light on story part), doesn't sound bad. Sounds like they're trying to extend the life of the game by making it multiplayer/co-op focused.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So long as all that stuff is optional (minus the light on story part), doesn't sound bad. Sounds like they're trying to extend the life of the game by making it multiplayer/co-op focused.
doesn't seem to be optional ... shit's level-gated

Reactions: PhaZZe
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Let me rephrase, it's not required to finish the game.
well it might be ... depends on how the level gates are set up ... if you need more XP than you can get from the story missions alone to progress - then yeah, it's not quite optional :p

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
well it might be ... depends on how the level gates are set up ... if you need more XP than you can get from the story missions alone to progress - then yeah, it's not quite optional :p
Yeah, that would be my line. I'll have to wait til after work to see just how it plays out and watch a few more reviews to see if this crosses said line

Reactions: lashman

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Eh, it's still killing Nazi, I'm in.
Yep, that's where I'm at too. Half of the negatives I'm reading about I kind of expected and the other half don't bother me personally.

I fully expect I'll have a fun time regardless. :)

Reactions: Milena

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Sounds kinda iffy for me so far. I mainly wonder if they fixed all the gameplay problems 2 had and made it more like 1 but I seemed to be in the minority that thought 2 was a huge step down game-wise so I'm not even sure if any of these reviews will touch on stuff like the pick up radius of armor and ammo. I don't mind so much the co-op spinoff as I could draft my brother to play, if it's good, but level gating sounds terrible and the primary worries of combat still loom overhead.

Reactions: Stevey