News XBox Game Pass for PC is live ($4.99/mo)

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
Something I find a little bit concerning about Game Pass PC is that while they're making huge improvements over the older MS Store, the problems it does have risk being glossed over because Game Pass PC is pretty cheap, has a good -- I mean a REALLY GOOD library, and its beta status tends to make people more forgiving because it's a work in progress. Also people are in a good mood about MS in general because you can get their games on Steam now, and everything just works on Steam. If the MS version is misbehaving, no big deal, just get the Steam version. But unless people keep asking for better, they might not get better. (Kinda like how the MCC team apparently didn't realise people wanted splitscreen on PC until fairly recently.)

MS are supporters of modding, but I'm a little wary that they'll attempt to push a modding API over traditional direct modification of files. They're being a bit weird about the way win32 permissions are handled.

Reactions: xinek

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
MS are supporters of modding, but I'm a little wary that they'll attempt to push a modding API over traditional direct modification of files. They're being a bit weird about the way win32 permissions are handled.
i believe that's what they're kinda/sorta trying to do, yeah ... i remember seeing screenshots showing one specific folder where moddable games will be kept (separate from the non-moddable ones)

Reactions: Aelphaeis Mangarae

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Something I find a little bit concerning about Game Pass PC is that while they're making huge improvements over the older MS Store, the problems it does have risk being glossed over because Game Pass PC is pretty cheap, has a good -- I mean a REALLY GOOD library, and its beta status tends to make people more forgiving because it's a work in progress. Also people are in a good mood about MS in general because you can get their games on Steam now, and everything just works on Steam. If the MS version is misbehaving, no big deal, just get the Steam version. But unless people keep asking for better, they might not get better. (Kinda like how the MCC team apparently didn't realise people wanted splitscreen on PC until fairly recently.)

This is one reason I'm not going to be renewing my subscription for now -- I don't play on PC for the plug and play experience. I have a PS4 and Switch for that. PC is a playground and should stay that way. I'll stay optimistic, but MS doesn't have a great track record here.

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
My 1€ trial ends next Sunday and it was alright, I guess. Even though I haven't played or at least tried as many games as I thought I would:

Wolfenstein II - completed
Sunset Overdrive - fucking awful; uninstalled after 5min
Metro Exodus - haven't been able to see the main menu because the game makes Windows crash lol

I don't think I'll subscribe again in the near future but that's mostly because I already own most of the games I'm interested in. I still think it's good value (especially at the trial/beta price) but there's no reason for me to keep another subscription running. I'll subscribe again for Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds.

Definitely, a plus that XGP allows me to play (some) EGS exclusives without giving those dev/publisher cunts more of my money than necessary. On the other hand, I hope more games will allow using trainers/cheat engine/mods. Tried using a trainer for Wolfenstein II because there was one part where I got stuck and it didn't work :surrenderblob:

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and KainXVIII

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Mine ends soon too.

I finished Ori, played Battle chasers, Wargroove, Forza, Gears, Wizard of Legend, plus other stuff. Pretty good for $1.

I think I'll sub again when something interesting comes out. Something like Outer Worlds which I don't want to ever buy.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
My trial ends mid-September because I was lucky. I have finished Steamworld Dig 2, and I am about to finish Guacamelee 2.

I have also started Battle Chasers and Operencia. I think I will push forward to finish Operencia, but I am not too sure about Battle.

I wanted to try The Messenger, but the game won't start.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I cancelled mine, only game I've played through it so far is Void Bastards. It's a good selection but it's not worth me subbing if I'm not going to get to them. Right now I'm more interested in working my way through the backlog I already have.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
May I ask why? I get that the humor and writing can be...ugh. But I think it is a pretty good shooter game.

Started the tutorial, got turned off by the humor, setting and writing. Played a bit, had no fun in grinding lines and jumping on cars, didn't enjoy the art style.
It felt forced instead of natural. Like the game trying to be to cool. Hard to describe.
People liked Kingdome of Amalur and I was bored by it. And I'm one of those R.A. Salavtore Menzoberranzan fan boys (read them as a teenager).

Sometimes a game just isn't for you and that's fine.

Vanquish is a good, fast shooter. This one, I didn't feel it.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I'm keeping myself subbed. Downloaded quite a few games I'd never buy but surprised me.

Too bad the damn service still has download and verification issues that pop-up nonsensically. I might install a game with no issues but later get stuck and having the service claim that I need to sign in even tho I'm signed in. Rebooting sorts that out tho but it's annoying.

Reactions: lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Started the tutorial, got turned off by the humor, setting and writing. Played a bit, had no fun in grinding lines and jumping on cars, didn't enjoy the art style.
It felt forced instead of natural. Like the game trying to be to cool. Hard to describe.
People liked Kingdome of Amalur and I was bored by it. And I'm one of those R.A. Salavtore Menzoberranzan fan boys (read them as a teenager).

Sometimes a game just isn't for you and that's fine.

Vanquish is a good, fast shooter. This one, I didn't feel it.
Ah well, fair enough :) I liked it a lot back when I played it on release on Xbox One, but yeah I get why someone might not enjoy it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
2 months of ultimate for $2 ($1 in Mexico). I guess I’m playing DMCV guys

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Gears 5 is out.
I have to change my windows to "english" to be able to play the game with english voice over.
Come on Microsoft: You've outdone yourself: It's a fantastic PC version, performance is excellent, every graphical setting is demonstrated and explained, you are even supporting performance overlays, the benchmark is representative of game performance. This is beyond what's expected and then this blunder: Just add an option to switch language settings. All the data is already there.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Gears 5 is out.
I have to change my windows to "english" to be able to play the game with english voice over.
Come on Microsoft: You've outdone yourself: It's a fantastic PC version, performance is excellent, every graphical setting is demonstrated and explained, you are even supporting performance overlays, the benchmark is representative of game performance. This is beyond what's expected and then this blunder: Just add an option to switch language settings. All the data is already there.
The little details like this are really hurting Game Pass on PC. It's a good service, bordering on greatness, but there's so many little humps they need to amble over first.

What I'd like to see them do is add GloSC-style "launchers" for each game as exes, so we can add them to Steam (or heck, Origin or any other launcher) and easily use Big Picture and such.

I tried getting Gears 5 to work with GloSC (going through the rigmarole of manually adding it to the app, since it cannot detect it like other games), but it couldn't quite "grab it" correctly without some other weird bug like double inputs. And this is the problem when you rely on an app that hasn't been updated in ages. I basically hit a happy medium where Steam can launch the game but my in-game status on Steam only shows as in-game for as long as the splash screen is loading.

MS have talked the talk, and lived up to a lot of it, but I think their Windows Store apps feel oddly distant from other games people might have on their PC. From a library management perspective it is still a nightmare.

Reactions: KainXVIII and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
MS have talked the talk, and lived up to a lot of it, but I think their Windows Store apps feel oddly distant from other games people might have on their PC. From a library management perspective it is still a nightmare.
That's Microsoft. Even when trying to do better, they are being hold back by their past mistakes and cooperate structures.
I really appreciate them at least trying (this time around!)... not like another company that is just having big talks.

I wonder how well Gears 5 is selling on Steam btw. and is there crossplay between win10, steam and xbox? Does anybody know?

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
The Windows Store and Steam versions of Gears 5 are essentially the same. You will need to login to Xbox to play Gears 5 on Steam, so I assume crossplay is in.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
C-Dub

Because you are having trouble adding game pass games to steam to unify your game libraries.

GoG 2.0 had an update today and is now grabbing installed Game Pass Games correctly. You can now even add your own executable to your library for example to use with emulators.

Just a heads up.

Reactions: MJunioR and xinek

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
This is amazing, thanks. Now all GOG needs is some sort of Big Picture and controller support and I'll be in.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
This is amazing, thanks. Now all GOG needs is some sort of Big Picture and controller support and I'll be in.
Absolutely. It's the most wished for feature btw

We are all hopeful it will eventually arrive...

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Absolutely. It's the most wished for feature btw

We are all hopeful it will eventually arrive...
It's pretty much essential. While library management is clearly important regardless of how you interface with your device, I am also of the opinion that clicking a different icon on your desktop for a different launcher is not the most major inconvenience in the world. But when you're streaming to another device or your PC is hooked up to your TV, suddenly you find yourself wanting a way to launch your games through one interface.

Playnite is a decent alternative to Steam Big Picture right now. There are even mods that will add your non-Steam Playnite games to Steam to get Steam Input support, which is cool for those of us who occassionally prefer to use the Steam Controller. But that's just an open source project being made by a few people. GOG could absolutely go after Steam's lunch in a meaningful way if they wanted to.

The reality of all this, however, is that launching games through a variety of different inputs (touch, desktop, TV) is ultimately Microsoft's responsibility. That they've ignored the user's desire to have coherent and powerful library management has led to Valve and GOG stepping up and doing it for them, and in part has caused a lot of the grief surrounding a lack of Big Picture UI and, I reckon, a big portion of the grief when someone who isn't Valve puts their games on a different launcher.

Reactions: ISee and xinek
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Honestly, I've never had any problem with launching games from multiple launchers/clients so far. I've been doing the same thing since forever, which is putting all the executable shortcuts in a folder called "Games", and put it in a toolbar so I can launch everything from there.

But yeah, I guess it's not ideal anymore if you have hundreds of games installed on your PC.

Anyway, my issue with multiple launchers on PC is different. I often forget that I have games in other launchers than Steam, because I very rarely open them. But it's a very minor problem for me, as most of them are probably old or already played games anyway.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Oh yeah, there are plenty of reasons why multiple launchers suck regardless of how you interface with your PC. The fact that each of these launchers use lots of RAM is reason enough to not like them. Then there's the security issues, the lack of trust and so on.

But in the end there are decent, if rather hacky, solutions to getting every game in your Steam library at this point. OSOL is a lifesaver for pretty much anything that isn't a Windows Store game. It'll do all the work of launching the client and the game, and when you quit out of the game terminating the client to ensure your Steam In-Game status is always correct, and it's pretty much removed my only objection to clients like Uplay, Battle.net and Origin, that being able to launch them through Big Picture.

Heck, I'd even use the Epic Games Store to buy some games and use OSOL to launch them through Steam if Epic hadn't acted like ginormous butts in their quest to actively hurt other stores like Steam and GOG, but alas, this is all a topic for another thread.

I'll reiterate that until someone else surpasses Big Picture in terms of features and convenience, I just wish we had an actively-supported way of adding Game Pass games to Steam. GloSC and UWPHook are both pretty much abandoned by their creators at this point, with GloSC being unable to detect newer games (and even if you add in the AppID it doesn't always correctly hook into them - yet UWPHook is very good at finding every game) while the developer of UWPHook never actively solved the controller issue (and frustratingly enough, the GloSC creator did).

I'm hoping with the popularity of Game Pass on PC increasing, we'll start to see someone putting renewed effort into their own solution. Or, you know, Microsoft or Valve could implement a solution themselves.

Reactions: ISee and xinek