News XBox Game Pass for PC is live ($4.99/mo)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yeah even if they are Win32 they are still inside that stupidly locked down WindowsApps folder.
I'll play what I want this month for that 1€, but I don't think I'll stay subscribed.
Steam is just so much more hassle-free in comparison.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Yeah even if they are Win32 they are still inside that stupidly locked down WindowsApps folder.
I'll play what I want this month for that 1€, but I don't think I'll stay subscribed.
I'm really curious if Microsofts games sold on Steam will be fully moddable win32 games. If so, I'm fine with this to be honest. Depending on the game, I can choose between buying it on Steam or renting it with Game Pass.

Microsoft is also working on modding tools for their Xbox platform. Let's wait and see how open this platform will be. In the presentation they gave last year, the devs had to give permission for modding, but much has changed since then.

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
If it wasn't for the encryption and restrictions I could eaily add the games I'm struggling with to Steam and not have any controller issues.

Also a Paradox game without the ability to run mods feels like you only get access to half the game.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
If it wasn't for the encryption and restrictions I could eaily add the games I'm struggling with to Steam and not have any controller issues.
Yeah. My workaround for this has been to play games with Mouse and Keyboard instead. But it's ehhhh.
Like I said, I'll deal with it for 1€ for a month, but after that I'm out.

OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Also a Paradox game without the ability to run mods feels like you only get access to half the game.
Can't you simply use 3rd party app like DS4Windows for proper controller support?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Been playing thimbleweed park and horizon 4 recently. I must admit, fantastic games and there is so much more I'd like to play like mutant year zero, ori and imperator Rome.
Originally shenmu 1+2 were also on the list, but that's no longer necessary.
I really wish the encryption wouldn't be there. Just one more tiny step Microsoft, I'd even take a "we couldn't stop the encryption process right now, because of how the store works. But we are working on it." Statement.

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Can't you simply use 3rd party app like DS4Windows for proper controller support?
I did, but everything was still messed up in Slay the Spire. That could be an issue specific for that game though. I'm waiting for Forza, Sea of Thieves and Metro to download to see if those work. Void Bastards I assume has native DS4 support in the game which is why it worked with no issue.

This all just shows how convenient Steam has made PC gaming in the last few years, while the competitors aren't willing to do the leg work. I haven't used any other third party software for controllers since Steam added support for it since it wasn't needed anymore.

Reactions: xinek and Ascheroth

Nirvash

Feb 25, 2019
The true Win32 titles are kept in ModifiableWindowsApps. The name really explains itself I think, lol. Would expect official mod support like Steam Workshop within the next few months.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The true Win32 titles are kept in ModifiableWindowsApps. The name really explains itself I think, lol. Would expect official mod support like Steam Workshop within the next few months.
Ah, didn't know that. That's good!

Reactions: Nirvash

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
I definately found game files for all the installed games in the non-modifiable folder the other day. I'll see if there's something in the modifiable one later.

Nirvash

Feb 25, 2019
Yeah as it stands most games go in the regular folder. Fully expect this to change over time, especially since Kevin Gallo himself considers UWP dead.

Nirvash

Feb 25, 2019
good news
I still have to drink pretty hard to forget about how much I miss Windows Phone 8.1, but it's a step in the right direction. Very interested to see if the next Xbox has a unique app type again but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
That would be fantastic!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Alright, so I've tried The Surge and wanted to play it with my Steam Controller.
The game itself is a regular Win32 program, but it's still in that stupid oversecured WindowsApp folder.
Can't add it as a non-Steam game because the application doesn't have permission to open the exe. Hurray.
...You are so close Microsoft, so close! :/
I remembered there is GloSC, so I installed that, but same thing. Ironically GloSC supports UWP games, but that doesn't work either because The Surge is win32 😂

Also I can see how Game Pass makes people buy more games (according to Microsoft). Like, I've tried The Surge now and can see that I'd definitely enjoy that, but it's a long and difficult game and I don't plan to sub to Game Pass forever, so having it in my library and being able to go at it on my own pace will be preferable.
I guess in a sense for some games it's just a glorified paid demo service for me, lol.
Glad to see I'm not the only one being strongly bummed out by the subscription's weird DRM scheme. It's stupid as hell and easily circumventable but the possible intent scares me.

I don't recall Steam needing that draconian level of control for free weekends and the such.

Reactions: xinek

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Alright, so I've tried The Surge and wanted to play it with my Steam Controller.
The game itself is a regular Win32 program, but it's still in that stupid oversecured WindowsApp folder.
Can't add it as a non-Steam game because the application doesn't have permission to open the exe. Hurray.
...You are so close Microsoft, so close! :/
I remembered there is GloSC, so I installed that, but same thing. Ironically GloSC supports UWP games, but that doesn't work either because The Surge is win32 😂

Also I can see how Game Pass makes people buy more games (according to Microsoft). Like, I've tried The Surge now and can see that I'd definitely enjoy that, but it's a long and difficult game and I don't plan to sub to Game Pass forever, so having it in my library and being able to go at it on my own pace will be preferable.
I guess in a sense for some games it's just a glorified paid demo service for me, lol.
Just seeing this now, I've got a spare Humble Bundle Steam key you can have for The Surge. I'll shoot it over to you this evening sometime.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Just seeing this now, I've got a spare Humble Bundle Steam key you can have for The Surge. I'll shoot it over to you this evening sometime.
Whoa, that's amazingly generous of you, thank you!

Reactions: ISee

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Thinking about installing windows on my Mac and getting one year of gold to do that convert to ultimate thing. That's still possible? Also does it matter if I tried game pass before on Xbox?

Realized it seems like an expensive project to install windows on a Mac.

Last edited:

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018

Feels like 2008. I'm not allowed to play the game because they're not able to sign me into Xbox Live.

Edit: Canceled my subscription. I've spent more time trying to fix the games than actually playing them. So far Void Bastards is the only game I've tried with no issues. Something went wrong with the Forza Horizons 4 installation so now it's downloading an "update" the same size as the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRossi

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
Been playing Sunset Overdrive through Game Pass. Really enjoying the game. It’s a lot of fun to play and just grind around the city.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Getting free DLC for the games seems to not always work. The workaround for me was to... use the windows store, lol.

Dec

Dec 7, 2018
i have spent way too much time playing slay the spire these past few days...

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
So I've played through Abzu and Guacamelee 2 so far.
I think after I'm done with ReCore I'll call it a month and go back to my Steam library.

All the other games on Game Pass that still interest me I either already have on Steam or would prefer to have on Steam to go at them at my own pace without the ticking subscription at the back of my mind.
Some of them I also tried and found out they're not really my thing, so that's nice too (Ruiner and egs sellout Operencia so far).

Reactions: LEANIJA and ISee

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
What would be kind of badass is that if we’re able to connect GP with our Steam accounts... when we’re playing a game via GP, it shows us on Steam playing the game. know. It’s a long-shot.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What would be kind of badass is that if we’re able to connect GP with our Steam accounts... when we’re playing a game via GP, it shows us on Steam playing the game. know. It’s a long-shot.
Should be possible with GoG 2.0.
They are non stop talking about one mergin Friend lists, profiles, they even want to unify trophies and achievements.

Edit: What? I'm a member now? how did that happen.
CHEERS

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
So... I'm playing Wolfenstein 2 right now, and the splash screens at startup are totally unacceptable. I went to delete the file after giving myself ownership and full control over c:\WindowsApps. But when I try to rename/delete the file, it says I need administrator permission. But I am an administrator? What am I missing here? I'm used to unix-like OSs, not this ridiculous crap. This kind of thing alone will make gamepass a non starter for me.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
How did you make yourself admin of the folder? I won't be home for an hour but I have been able to delete stuff that way, not cutscenes stuff but the deleted folder. A setting resting after a Windows update.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
How did you make yourself admin of the folder? I won't be home for an hour but I have been able to delete stuff that way, not cutscenes stuff but the deleted folder. A setting resting after a Windows update.
I changed ownership of WindowsApps to my user in file -> properties -> security -> advanced. And my user is in the Adminstrators group, so seems like it ought to work?

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I changed ownership of WindowsApps to my user in file -> properties -> security -> advanced. And my user is in the Adminstrators group, so seems like it ought to work?
If you right click the folder>properties>securities and hit advance, what does it say for owner?

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
There's this if you're feeling lazy like me.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
There's this if you're feeling lazy like me.
Oh I did it just fine. I only had to do it because an update reset settings, the one that enables the feature that lets your PC share files of installs. So if you delete a game from gamepass it just moved it to the folder named Delete. So I had to disable settings and go in and delete the stuff in it.

I was just trying to help the other guy xD

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Oh I did it just fine. I only had to do it because an update reset settings, the one that enables the feature that lets your PC share files of installs. So if you delete a game from gamepass it just moved it to the folder named Delete. So I had to disable settings and go in and delete the stuff in it.

I was just trying to help the other guy xD
Whoops, I should have done a better job reading.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
If you right click the folder>properties>securities and hit advance, what does it say for owner?
It says it's owned by Administrators. However, I don't have full control over the file and can't seem to change that.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
So I wanted to cancel the auto renewal for Game Pass and saw that there's an option to immediatly end the subscription and get the $1 back.

Has this always been the case? Say, what's stopping people from subbing, playing through Gears 5 in two weeks then cancel AND get the money back?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Started playing Wolfenstein 2. I really disliked it when I played it on an Xbox, but now with proper KB+M control scheme it is quite fun.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Outer Worlds and Gears 5 seem to already be included in Game Pass on PC.
Release Date is just not there, yet.
You can also find them on the Windows Store.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Not going to lie, not going to watch a 19m video to see what they are lol. Unless there is a list at the end?

Also Goat Simulator and Torment: Tides of Numenera are up there now.

oipic

Resident Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
Not going to lie, not going to watch a 19m video to see what they are lol. Unless there is a list at the end?
It's a breezy and well put-together little video, actually - I've wasted 19 minutes on far worse!

Titles covered:

Xbox Game Pass for Console and Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)

• My Time at Portia: Gather, mine, and craft as you explore, adventure, and rebuild your Pa’s workshop. With many different activities to choose from, there is something for everyone.
  • Bad North: In this real-time tactics roguelite, tailor your strategy to the unique layout of each island as you defend your island kingdom against Viking invaders.
  • Gonner: Venture into this challenging 2D platformer as you traverse dangerous environments and battle formidable foes on your journey to cheer up your only friend.
  • The Banner Saga 3: In the final chapter of the award-winning Banner Saga series, the darkness closes in. New playable characters and deeper combat await you in this story-driven, strategic RPG where choices matter and carry over from The Banner Saga 1 and 2.
  • Yoku’s Island Express: Play as Yoku, a small postman, on a quest to rebuild the post-office and awake an ancient island deity in this tropical open-world pinball adventure.
  • Worms W.M.D: Dive into the best Worms experience yet with more destruction, new weapons, and crafting. And with single player plus online and local co-op modes, enjoy solo or with friends!
Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta)

• Undertale: You’ve fallen into the Underground, a world brimming with monsters. In this humorous RPG, fight or negotiate your way out – the choice is yours.
  • Timespinner: As timekeeper Lunais, take on the Lachiem empire to avenge your family. Utilize time, magic orbs, and Familiars to defeat enemies in this story-driven action-platformer.
  • Unavowed: Seek salvation from a dark past as you join an ancient society dedicated to fighting evil in this point-and-click adventure with branching stories.
  • Machinarium: Aid Josef, a robot who must save his girlfriend from the Black Cap Brotherhood gang. Embark on an adventure filled with puzzles, quests, brain teasers, and mini-games.
  • For the King: A kingdom is peaceful no more and the queen calls for the citizens’ aid. Heed her call in this challenging and strategic RPG with tabletop and roguelike elements.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Anyone know if the special price of $1 for the first purchase PC xbox pass will also end on July 1st or is just the tier conversion that is ending?

And if yes does purchasing at the end of june worth it? Is it a standard 30 day purchase?
Don't know about the first, but yeah it's a standard 30 day purchase.