News Xbox Series X | S - launches November 10, 2020 (S - 299$ . X - 499$)

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Fwiw, the series S sure has the potential to be a nice Game Pass machine, but only if Microsoft can successfully entice / enforce developers to make a serious effort at optimizing for it. This will almost certainly be the case for anything coming directly out of Microsoft Game Studios, but keep in mind a lot of Game Pass content is critically acclaimed, ambitious indie titles originally developed for PC and in my experience with this generation, a lot of those really needed the One X to play nicely, sometimes to be even properly playable at all.

Anyone remember the performance of Layers of Fear on the original Xbox One and the One S?

I could see a lot of that happening again with this machine. I would feel better about this if Microsoft would actually start to curate different Game Pass selections for the Series S vs. the Series X, but I don't think that's going to happen.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
for those interested in the xss as a game pass/back compat box df did a deep dive on that stuff
tl;dr:
Series S inherits Xbox One S versions of games by default.

When running Xbox One S versions of games, Series S has more GPU performance than Xbox One X did, and it obviously has way more CPU performance, so it can get rid of performance issues in games that had them, and it can boost resolution to the maximum in games with dynamic resolution.

On select Xbox One S games, frame rate will be doubled. Either 30 FPS to 60 FPS, or 60 FPS to 120 FPS.

Original Xbox games and enhanced Xbox 360 games run at around 1440p on Series S

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
welp preorders just got slightly harder to acquire tomorrow....good luck all :p

dates & times below, plus ms has confirmed that you can pre order with all access as well

Last edited:

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
looks like france is the only all access country not doing preorder, only on launch day, wonder why? maybe the retailers want the upfront money?

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019

it begins

also, its smaller than i thought

the dumbest question i have that i'm sure no one will answer is if it'll work with my third party x1 media remote lol

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
yeah most games last a year minimum on gp...rdr2 was 6 months or less.

edit: 4 months...may 7 til sept 7

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i guess embargos are up cause (very) early xsx previews are coming out

interestingly it seem bc is not fully finished yet cause some games aren't playable at this point for previews
in regards to back-compat not being complete: the list of games is constantly changing during our preview period, but here a few games that were not playable at the time this video published:
  • Gears 5
  • Halo 5
  • Most of the Forza games
  • INSIDE
  • Doom II (360 lol)
halo, gears, and forzas were supposed to run at 120fps so i wonder if they are holding those back til that is working correctly?

df preview coming soon

edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and Cacher

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
How in the world are these consoles small? Big Navi better be small.